When is it NIMBYism, when is it warranted?

MJLO

I'm sorry but I don't think a 250 unit upscale apartment development equals the eventual doom of Byron Center Schools.   All over the country upscale often gated apartment complexes are the norm in the major metro areas that GR has aspirations to compete with.   I think the situation with East Kentwood High School is unique.    There are other complexes in that area that were built when the rest of them were built.  They are owned by responsible companies,  and they are well kept and selective about their residents.   They have not contributed to the decline of their neighborhoods.   

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2014/10/home_builders_in_kent_county_a.html#incart_river

This is the article from Mlive talking about 2014 so far having the best year for home builders since 2009.  They included condo and apartment construction as well.  We all know that people are moving to the Grand Rapids area.  With the population increase being as it is,  the wait list even for undesirable communities is 2-3 months or longer. There is a pent up demand for exactly the type of development proposed.   Don't be surprised of you see more of these being proposed around the suburbs.   

Would you have them all built at 32nd and Schaffer  so that you can keep all of the "apartment folk"  together and not destroy anymore school districts?   I feel as if your cynicism is based on one microcosm that you're applying to all circumstances,  and not the full picture of reality.   That sounds like the core of any NIMBY mentality. 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry but I don't think a 250 unit upscale apartment development equals the eventual doom of Byron Center Schools.   All over the country upscale often gated apartment complexes are the norm in the major metro areas that GR has aspirations to compete with.   I think the situation with East Kentwood High School is unique.    There are other complexes in that area that were built when the rest of them were built.  They are owned by responsible companies,  and they are well kept and selective about their residents.   They have not contributed to the decline of their neighborhoods.   

I never said one 250 unit complex would cause the death of Byron schools.  I couldn't possibly know that.  BUT, in 1989, do you think anyone in Kentwood envisioned their school system falling to pieces in their lifetimes?  Even in 2000, those who built in Crystal Springs certainly didn't see it, or didn't want to see it.  Now 15 years later, "Kentwood Schools" is a curse word among realtors.  It's easy to avoid difficult topics, and understandable, but that ultimately has the potential of leaving you grossly unprepared.  Still, I can see why people avoid this with 10 foot poles.

I never said one 250 unit complex would cause the death of Byron schools.  I couldn't possibly know that.  BUT, in 1989, do you think anyone in Kentwood envisioned their school system falling to pieces in their lifetimes?  Even in 2000, those who built in Crystal Springs certainly didn't see it, or didn't want to see it.  Now 15 years later, "Kentwood Schools" is a curse word among realtors.  It's easy to avoid difficult topics, and understandable, but that ultimately has the potential of leaving you grossly unprepared.  Still, I can see why people avoid this with 10 foot poles.

I mostly understand where you're coming from.  

I feel like what happened in Kentwood was inevitable with or without it becoming "Rentwood".    Kentwood by definition has become an Inner ring suburb.  Inner ring suburbs have struggled and lost their shine all over the country, mostly due to the cheap housing stock put up in the 60's and 70's.   It's only natural that people wanting to escape the struggles of the SE side would trickle over the 28th st line.  

I've long considered the city of Wyoming Kentwood's ugly sister with it's bulk stock of 1940's post war bungalows.    Nowadays peoples tastes have changed and the 900 sq ft utilitarian suburban boxes that were dream homes back then are somewhat of a joke.  People have moved further out to places with more land and better floorplans.  Thereby making it easier for the lower income classes to move to the inner ring.   It's happened everywhere,  how would Kentwood be immune when Wyoming is not?   

The academic underperformance of EKHS needs a lot of attention. Here, it is useful to remember how academic performance and socio-economic standing correlate. Did the schools fail? or is it that the community's demographics changed? i will confess that I was shocked at EKHS' low standing on the MDE ranks (ninth percentile, lower than either Union or Ottawa -- and that has gotta sting). In urban terms this should set off some alarms, as underperforming schools make a community less desirable.

• 3 months later...

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/02/check_out_downtown_rockford_co.html#incart_river

Condo development proposed near downtown Rockford.  Residents opposing are worried about things like added traffic.   51 condos say every condo had two drivers and two cars that's an extra 104 cars possibly driving around the area.  It seems a little dramatic to claim this will affect the quality of life in downtown Rockford.  To me more residents mean more tax revenue, more activity and more vibrancy to the area.

Do you think peoples fears are warranted?  I feel this is more of the anti change/anti growth mentality that plagues suburban GR.   But I kind of want someone to explain it to me from the other perspective. 

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/02/check_out_downtown_rockford_co.html#incart_river

Condo development proposed near downtown Rockford.  Residents opposing are worried about things like added traffic.   51 condos say every condo had two drivers and two cars that's an extra 104 cars possibly driving around the area.  It seems a little dramatic to claim this will affect the quality of life in downtown Rockford.  To me more residents mean more tax revenue, more activity and more vibrancy to the area.

Do you think peoples fears are warranted?  I feel this is more of the anti change/anti growth mentality that plagues suburban GR.   But I kind of want someone to explain it to me from the other perspective. 

Good looking project, cleans up a contaminated site, adds residents to within walking distance of downtown, and is less dense than what zoning allows. Seems like a strange project to protest. Reminds me of Celadon on Knapp, hardly a high intensity use with lots of cars coming and going.

http://woodtv.com/2015/02/09/rockford-residents-debate-condo-development/

City approved the development which I think was the responsible thing to do.  Good for Rockford.   Why is it that no matter what is proposed there will always be irrational schmucks who go out of their way to stand in the way of progress?  The from what I understand the Byron Center Apartment complex from a couple months ago has residents suing to block it.  

There is a need for new housing units in the area, they have to go somewhere.   I worry this suburban anti-change sentiment could hurt the area in the long run.  However local governments keep approving the new things in spite of the coo coo residents. 

he from what I understand the Byron Center Apartment complex from a couple months ago has residents suing to block it.  

There is a need for new housing units in the area, they have to go somewhere.   I worry this suburban anti-change sentiment could hurt the area in the long run.  However local governments keep approving the new things in spite of the coo coo residents. 

I think that's right re: Byron Center.  Last I heard, they were having a recall election to recall the commissioners that voted for it so that they can then reverse the decision before it becomes final.  With a major apartment complex in a relatively suburban/rural area, with some of the pressures from Kentwood Byron arguably faces, I can at least understand the concern.

As for Rockford, on the other hand, I don't get it.  A few hundred more vehicle trips a day on an already fairly busy stretch won't change do a lot to traffic.  Traffic is the constant bogeyman, but the concerns are usually overblown.  50 single family condos that will likely be occupied by an older crowd seems like small potatoes. 

Archived