Brownstones at Thornton Park

Jernigan

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked at bungalowers update on this project and stupidly read the comments. This is why we can't have nice things. I will try to be smarter next time. 

Yes, indeed. My hand needs to be hit twice this week. The first time was when I read the comments of people lapping up the news of the Woof Gang Bakery taking over that prime spot in Thornton Park. You know, the place that will offer dog massages and acupuncture :rolleyes: .

Yes, indeed. My hand needs to be hit twice this week. The first time was when I read the comments of people lapping up the news of the Woof Gang Bakery taking over that prime spot in Thornton Park. You know, the place that will offer dog massages and acupuncture :rolleyes: .

If I can throw in some support for the new WGB location: Being a current patron of the WP store I'm thrilled they're opening a space downtown. It's a massive pain to drive up to the current store on a weekday due to traffic. It's a good (Orlando-based!) company and I'm glad this neat building is getting repurposed for a retail store. More diverse retail can only be a good thing for what is arguably DTO's most popular destination for non-DTO dwellers.

And, for the record, I don't get my dog acupuncture or massage. Just food. [emoji6]

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
19 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

A new flyover of the Thornton Park brownstones - shaping up nicely! (also, great views over downtown):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Fj-S6zPQo&feature=youtu.be

Awesome video - saw a similar view in one of their renderings, and was thinking about what an dynamic shot of the skyline it was.  And also thought that in 6 months from now, that shot will have 4, 5, possibly more cranes in it: Citi Tower, UCF/Creative Village, 520 Church, possibly Tremont Tower, possibly DPAC Phase II, possible additional craneage at the soccer stadium. 

The cost is my main issue with these.  My friend has the exact same layout condo in the Little Italy area of Cleveland... much more urban... and got it for 330 a few years back.  Still estimated around 350.  Even taking into account the better marketplace here, I can't fathom paying that much.

Its really hard to compare these to something outside of metro Orlando or even outside of its particular location.  There are similar albeit builder grade townhouses in Baldwin Park and on Michigan all priced in the $350-$500k range.  Of course there are also similar custom townhouse on Morris Ave in Winter Park by Phil Kean design that start just under $1.2 million.  A great deal of the price comes from the location (price of land they sit on) and the rest in (custom) build quality.  

If compared to similar location/build (Sanctuary and Star towers) these are priced competitively but with MUCH lower HOA fees (approximately 1/4th - due to lack of amenities).  

I will snap some pics when the first few are completed.  They are absolutely fantastic and more closely related to a $1-2 million home in Winter Park than an Ashton Woods (national builder) townhouse off Michigan Ave.  

Oh I fully agree.  Just stating that I can't justify it.  And I don't think the location is that great.  Except for Mucho/Sonoma, basically everything is .4 - .5 mile away, and the CBD/Church Street is almost a full mile.  That part of town still shuts down around 10pm weekdays.

On March 7, 2016 at 6:11 PM, AndyPok1 said:

The cost is my main issue with these.  My friend has the exact same layout condo in the Little Italy area of Cleveland... much more urban... and got it for 330 a few years back.  Still estimated around 350.  Even taking into account the better marketplace here, I can't fathom paying that much.

I agree that the location really isn't all that great. Yes it's in Thorton Park, but a few  blocks really matter in downtown Orlando and this is a few blocks too far over without any perks. Every outside window in this development faces an undesirable-looking building worth half the dollar amount per square foot these are going for, with the exception of the ones facing Constitution Green (and the 408 in plain view). For $700,000 when you include the rooftop buildout it makes Samsara look like a good deal, which is in a better location.  I'd choose single pane windows in a 100 year old church versus plywood construction too, although neither are really preferable. 

I certainly agree that the price seems awfully high, but if people are willing to pay it, then maybe it isn't so outlandish after all.

As for the quality of the location, I have to disagree. I lived for several years within shouting distance of those brownstones. Second house off of Summerlin on E. Church St. and loved it. There are a lot of really nice things about living in that area. Lake Eola is a two minute walk. So is Publix on Central. All the stuff around Washington St as well. Walking to Orange and Magnolia is nothing. Along those nice, shady, tree-lined brick streets, it's a pleasure. And of course, its much more calm and quiet than it is right in downtown, something a lot of people prefer to being in the middle of a bunch of rowdy bars and restaurants. Lastly, not everybody cares about such things as how expensive the residences are that theirs look out onto. At least as long as they aren't downright shabby or trashy looking and nothing around there is. Kind of a thin reason to count them out it seems to me.

If I had that kind of money to toss around, I wouldn't mind living there at all.

27 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I certainly agree that the price seems awfully high, but if people are willing to pay it, then maybe it isn't so outlandish after all.

As for the quality of the location, I have to disagree. I lived for several years within shouting distance of those brownstones. Second house off of Summerlin on E. Church St. and loved it. There are a lot of really nice things about living in that area. Lake Eola is a two minute walk. So is Publix on Central. All the stuff around Washington St as well. Walking to Orange and Magnolia is nothing. Along those nice, shady, tree-lined brick streets, it's a pleasure. And of course, its much more calm and quiet than it is right in downtown, something a lot of people prefer to being in the middle of a bunch of rowdy bars and restaurants. Lastly, not everybody cares about such things as how expensive the residences are that theirs look out onto. At least as long as they aren't downright shabby or trashy looking and nothing around there is. Kind of a thin reason to count them out it seems to me.

If I had that kind of money to toss around, I wouldn't mind living there at all.

While not everyone might care what they look out at, it is an old adage of real estate investment not to purchase the most expensive home on the block, and these are by far the most expensive homes on the block. And the duplexes on the other side of Summerlin are the epitome of shabby. Would it keep me from living there? No, but they would have to start for $200,000 less.

14 minutes ago, GTR said:

While not everyone might care what they look out at, it is an old adage of real estate investment not to purchase the most expensive home on the block, and these are by far the most expensive homes on the block. And the duplexes on the other side of Summerlin are the epitome of shabby. Would it keep me from living there? No, but they would have to start for $200,000 less.

I dunno. Referring to this....

Screenshot_20160308_211152_01.jpg

...as "the epitome of shabby" seems to me to be the epitome of pretentious.

But that's just my opinion.

And given that I couldn't afford to buy one and I doubt you could either, it's all moot anyway.

At any rate, I'm sure plenty of people who can afford to buy them will and will be quite happy there.

Archived