Brownstones at Thornton Park

Jernigan

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

I dunno. Referring to this....

Screenshot_20160308_211152_01.jpg

...as "the epitome of shabby" seems to me to be the epitome of pretentious.

But that's just my opinion.

And given that I couldn't afford to buy one and I doubt you could either, it's all moot anyway.

At any rate, I'm sure plenty of people who can afford to buy them will and will be quite happy there.

*HIGH FIVES* Thank you. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I dunno. Referring to this....

Screenshot_20160308_211152_01.jpg

...as "the epitome of shabby" seems to me to be the epitome of pretentious.

But that's just my opinion.

And given that I couldn't afford to buy one and I doubt you could either, it's all moot anyway.

At any rate, I'm sure plenty of people who can afford to buy them will and will be quite happy there.

I never claimed I wasn't pretentious. And you're delusional to think anyone willing and able to pay $700,000 for a townhouse in Orlando isn't going to be pretentious about those duplexes as well, especially when you can get a similar townhouse a few miles away in Baldwin Park for a few hundred thousand less. 

Well, as I think we all know, there are a lot of different kinds of people in the world. Just because one is wealthy does not automatically make one a snob. 

I don't think those duplexes are bad looking at all. They're clean, they look freshly painted, they're well maintained, the yards are clean and they have an overall neat, clean appearance. The only thing that some snooty types might find "offensive" about them is the fact that they are duplexes. But I'm pretty sure there are enough potential buyers out there who'll be willing to overlook that, to fill them all up.

Anyway, as I said earlier, I think the people who buy those places will be perfectly happy with them.

The prices are steep, but it looks like 14 of the 25 available units in the development have been sold - according to a Facebook post made in December.

Brownstones.jpg.fb49d35d7396aafeb2e07d03

At the very least, the duplexes should be painted in modern colors & and nice landscaping would go a long way in transforming them from shabby to shabby chic. Two of the duplexes recently sold for top dollar so I highly doubt the new owners are going to spend even more money to bulldoze the buildings & replace them with something nicer. Looks like we'll be stuck with them for years to come.

26 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Well, as I think we all know, there are a lot of different kinds of people in the world. Just because one is wealthy does not automatically make one a snob. 

I don't think those duplexes are bad looking at all. They're clean, they look freshly painted, they're well maintained, the yards are clean and they have an overall neat, clean appearance. The only thing that some snooty types might find "offensive" about them is the fact that they are duplexes. But I'm pretty sure there are enough potential buyers out there who'll be willing to overlook that, to fill them all up.

Anyway, as I said earlier, I think the people who buy those places will be perfectly happy with them.

That picture you posted of them looks to be more photoshopped than a Kardashian. I drive by them every day and can gurantee you they do not look fresh, neat or clean. They are old, unkept and unnattractive. Generally the entire yard of each is filled up with 4+ cars. 

To be fair, the middle duplex is well maintained.  The one on the south is a disaster and the one on the north is not much better.  The one on the north is always for sale but has serious structural problems.  I'd love to see them all torn down.

There were two more duplexes to the north but they were bought by the City in the 80's and turned into retention.  Someone had proposed a commercial development on the Constitution Green property and the residents worked with the City at that time to have the two duplexes turned into retention.  This was my neighbor's account of what happened and they've lived here since the 70's.

42 minutes ago, gibby said:

To be fair, the middle duplex is well maintained.  The one on the south is a disaster and the one on the north is not much better.  The one on the north is always for sale but has serious structural problems.  I'd love to see them all torn down.

THIS.

We have a friend that lives near there.  We pass these all the time and I'd fully agree with gibby on this.  There is one that is ABOVE AND BEYOND nicer than the others and the photo posted above doesn't quite reflect how "shabby" (to borrow from the slam) these really are.

If people pay for these, they pay for them.  No way would I consider them worth 1/3 of what they are asking.

I concede the middle one is decent, but clearly still at least less than half the price per square foot of the Brownstones. The other two need to be condemned. I've seen nicer looking crack dens. Great sight to look at out of your living room window.

7 hours ago, GTR said:

That picture you posted of them looks to be more photoshopped than a Kardashian. I drive by them every day and can gurantee you they do not look fresh, neat or clean. They are old, unkept and unnattractive. Generally the entire yard of each is filled up with 4+ cars. 

The pic is a screenshot from Google Maps Street View. No Photoshop.

Still, I doubt most normal people would get their panties in a wad over such triviality. If there was garbage and junk all over the place then yeah, I could see your point. And as I said, I lived right around the corner for years and drove/walked/bicycled past them untold thousands of times. They were never bad looking enough to make most people turn their nose up in disgust at the thought of living across the street. 

I don't think most people are that hoity-toity.

15 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

The pic is a screenshot from Google Maps Street View. No Photoshop.

Still, I doubt most normal people would get their panties in a wad over such triviality. If there was garbage and junk all over the place then yeah, I could see your point. And as I said, I lived right around the corner for years and drove/walked/bicycled past them untold thousands of times. They were never bad looking enough to make most people turn their nose up in disgust at the thought of living across the street. 

I don't think most people are that hoity-toity.

Well clearly you have never contemplated purchasing a home in this price range because you most certaintly would factor in such things if you want to protect your investment. As I stated before, if these were $400,000-$500,000 the surroundings wouldn't be as much of an issue. But ignoring them at this price point is just ignorant.

I find the defense of the Brownstones amusing considering this subforum constantly likes to knock projects that don't make any effort to assimilate into their surrounding neighborhoods. These townhomes literally are a result of someone taking a Baldwin Park concept, buying the cheapest half block in Thornton Park they could find, and dumping them on it without any thought to incorporate a single element of the Thornton Park neighborhood.

I'm curious what an element of Thornton Park neighborhood?  420?  The Jackson?  The Osceola Brownstones?  The Bungalows on the other side of Summerlin?

The neighborhood is evolving and those mentioned duplexes sit on unstable dirt.  Its very possible we will see them turn into something else in the future.  

I haven't really heard complaints regarding the Brownstone view.  If anything the gigantic wires were a hindrance but those should be down shortly.  Only 5 remaining units face Summerlin.

Overall its a nice project in a great location that offers an alternative to a high-rise for the particular buyer that it interests.  

44 minutes ago, steve_o said:

I'm curious what an element of Thornton Park neighborhood?  420?  The Jackson?  The Osceola Brownstones?  The Bungalows on the other side of Summerlin?

The neighborhood is evolving and those mentioned duplexes sit on unstable dirt.  Its very possible we will see them turn into something else in the future.  

I haven't really heard complaints regarding the Brownstone view.  If anything the gigantic wires were a hindrance but those should be down shortly.  Only 5 remaining units face Summerlin.

Overall its a nice project in a great location that offers an alternative to a high-rise for the particular buyer that it interests.  

People complain about 420 for the same reason depsite there being no agreed upon general design language in that area. Same with Crescent Central. Not an argument I necessarily agree with, just odd not seeing anyone raise it when realtor commissions are involved.

As far as only 5 remaining on Summerlin, you make it sound like there were a lot to begin with. More than half on Summerlin have not been sold is probably a more accurate way of reporting it. It actually looks like the overwhelming majority of the ones that have been sold are the ones facing that park (and 408).

2 hours ago, GTR said:

I find the defense of the Brownstones amusing considering this subforum constantly likes to knock projects that don't make any effort to assimilate into their surrounding neighborhoods. These townhomes literally are a result of someone taking a Baldwin Park concept, buying the cheapest half block in Thornton Park they could find, and dumping them on it without any thought to incorporate a single element of the Thornton Park neighborhood.

The "Baldwin Park" concept is new urbanism.  Baldwin Park and other similarly styled new urbanism developments such as Celebration, Seaside, Kentwoods, were designed to emulate traditional neighborhoods like Thornton Park.  If the brownstones remind you of something in Baldwin, this is simply because Baldwin Park borrows from what makes traditional neighborhoods so popular and $$$$$.

12 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

The "Baldwin Park" concept is new urbanism.  Baldwin Park and other similarly styled new urbanism developments such as Celebration, Seaside, Kentwoods, were designed to emulate traditional neighborhoods like Thornton Park.  If the brownstones remind you of something in Baldwin, this is simply because Baldwin Park borrows from what makes traditional neighborhoods so popular and $$$$$.

I have no issue with the design per se. Just pointing out the fact that what is often an issue on here when dealing with new apartment developments doesn't appear to matter in this case. 

42 minutes ago, GTR said:

I have no issue with the design per se. Just pointing out the fact that what is often an issue on here when dealing with new apartment developments doesn't appear to matter in this case. 

So what exactly is it about the Brownstones that makes you feel as though they don't assimilate into the surrounding neighborhood? The complaint that I had about 420/520, was that it looked too cold, futuristic and devoid of architectural features that would soften it's appearance, as well as the use of bland white and grey as the sole colors. I don't think any of that is going to be an issue with this project, so I really don't see where the supposed hypocrisy is that you're making accusations of.

I also still think you're exaggerating the negative appearance of the duplexes across the street.

41 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

So what exactly is it about the Brownstones that makes you feel as though they don't assimilate into the surrounding neighborhood? The complaint that I had about 420/520, was that it looked too cold, futuristic and devoid of architectural features that would soften it's appearance, as well as the use of bland white and grey as the sole colors. I don't think any of that is going to be an issue with this project, so I really don't see where the supposed hypocrisy is that you're making accusations of.

I also still think you're exaggerating the negative appearance of the duplexes across the street.

I think taking something that clearly came right out of a bland developer-planned community and sticking it on the outskirts of historic Thornton Park without changing a thing is just as poor assimilation as 420, which at least fits somewhat into the pseudo-Miami Beach vibe parts of Eola South have. Again, I don't have a problem with either, but I don't see how people can take issue with one and not the other. Still, I have to say I think the proposed townhouses at Park Lake would have been a much better fit.

As far as the duplexes go, I think if you had the money to shop in this price range you would care more about how bad they look. We can agree to disagree though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2014 at 0:55 PM, steve_o said:

In the event you haven't seen the interior/roof top shots:

We all should be VERY excited about this.  It is the first project that is actually purchasable (for some) since 2007!!!  

post-333-0-86585100-1412873663_thumb.jpg

what's that building next to Suntrust on the left corner? one of the pre-2008 economy-crash canceled high rise?

19 minutes ago, W7edwin said:

what's that building next to Suntrust on the left corner? one of the pre-2008 economy-crash canceled high rise?

Ha!  Good eye.  That almost looks like the Tradition Towers proposal from years ago, but not in the right location.

Also, this perspective is greatly distorted.  For instance, the Vue and Dynetech are NOT due west of the brownstones.  The only thing that will be in their vantage will be Citi Tower and the Central Ave / Eola mid-rises.

Archived