Sign in to follow this  
InitialD

Triangle photo of the day

Does anyone know what’s going on with this building on the corner of Wake Forest & New Hope Church in Raleigh? Construction ceased over a year ago and these scaffolds have been up in limbo ever since. 

42A89F03-0693-40C7-B8B8-A7081E68A889.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Hunted said:

Does anyone know what’s going on with this building on the corner of Wake Forest & New Hope Church in Raleigh? Construction ceased over a year ago and these scaffolds have been up in limbo ever since. 

rac

Replacing the siding and installing new windows.  I was actually the one who did the investigation that determined the tile veneer was failing and the windows had widespread leaks.  They didn't give us the design contract though - I think it went to an architect firm out of the Triad area.  With how long the construction has taken, kinda glad we were passed over for this phase.

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Green_man said:

Replacing the siding and installing new windows.  I was actually the one who did the investigation that determined the tile veneer was failing and the windows had widespread leaks.  They didn't give us the design contract though - I think it went to an architect firm out of the Triad area.  With how long the construction has taken, kinda glad we were passed over for this phase.

So, is it NOT at a standstill? Because I've never seen anyone there and it looks like zero progress has been made in a year's time.

On 5/19/2018 at 8:16 AM, Justin6882 said:

Snapped this pic with my drone last weekend. View from E Lenoir/Cabarrus area.

04E3C143-DE4B-4EA7-93AF-5E032E2DC5A8.jpeg

Gives a sense for how awesome an observation tower would be at Chavis Park if incorporated into the renovation.

• Like 2

My friend still in Raleigh took this of your large Cameron Village Chick-fil-a today.   sky was great today for photos! 

CameronvillageChickfila.jpg

• Like 3

Wow, that street really misses Jaume Plensa. This is what you get when you set the bar very low - a nondescript version of Mayberry. 

2 hours ago, DanRNC said:

Wow, that street really misses Jaume Plensa. This is what you get when you set the bar very low - a nondescript version of Mayberry. 

I don't recall Mayberry having skyscrapers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

I don't recall Mayberry having skyscrapers.

A modern Mayberry with some moderately tall schlock boxes. 

^^^ Sure Raleigh could use a few more taller buildings  but I think it has a nice skyline with some interesting buildings.  Sure it is not Manhattan but who cares?   I like the Dillon and PNC Plaza and I would not call them boxes.   Downtown Raleigh is attracting all kinds of companies both tech firms and larger businesses.   Very low vacancy rate of its office space ( 1Q 2018 just 5.5%)  and prime office space is literally a fourth or fifth the cost of Manhattan.  And Raleigh is the top 5 fastest growing cities in the country.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ Sure Raleigh could use a few more taller buildings  but I think it has a nice skyline with some interesting buildings.  Sure it is not Manhattan but who cares?   I like the Dillon and PNC Plaza and I would not call them boxes.   Downtown Raleigh is attracting all kinds of companies both tech firms and larger businesses.   Very low vacancy rate of its office space ( 1Q 2018 just 5.5%)  and prime office space is literally a fourth or fifth the cost of Manhattan.  And Raleigh is the top 5 fastest growing cities in the country.  

My point was aimed at street level, specifically F-Street, where it is horribly dull.  I'm not making an overall assessment of downtown, which may or may not be great.  For historical perspective, they ran Plensa and every interesting idea out of town for F-Street and used Gville, SC as the benchmark - nothing wrong with Gville which is pleasant enough, but it is not the most interesting place in the world. 

23 hours ago, DanRNC said:

For historical perspective, they ran Plensa and every interesting idea out of town for F-Street and used Gville, SC as the benchmark - nothing wrong with Gville which is pleasant enough, but it is not the most interesting place in the world. 

To be fair though, the Plensa idea had a lot of flaws.  I remember going to a talk given by some downtown Raleigh planners which changed my perspective on it a few years back.  On the surface the Plensa stuff was all nice and shiny and cool.  Digging into it though there were apparently too many problems which made it not cost effective.

On 7/6/2018 at 6:21 PM, DanRNC said:

My point was aimed at street level, specifically F-Street, where it is horribly dull.  I'm not making an overall assessment of downtown, which may or may not be great.  For historical perspective, they ran Plensa and every interesting idea out of town for F-Street and used Gville, SC as the benchmark - nothing wrong with Gville which is pleasant enough, but it is not the most interesting place in the world. 

Raleigh  will never continually move to the next level by trying to model itself after cities like Greenville, SC or any other smaller mid sized metro. This is where Raleigh could learn from Charlotte's playbook. Aim for bigger and better.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 5:40 PM, DPK said:

To be fair though, the Plensa idea had a lot of flaws.  I remember going to a talk given by some downtown Raleigh planners which changed my perspective on it a few years back.  On the surface the Plensa stuff was all nice and shiny and cool.  Digging into it though there were apparently too many problems which made it not cost effective.

Maybe true but they had no intention of even trying to make this work as their vision on this was to keep it Mayberry-esque for all the parades that were going to go marching down the street.  How many parades have they had on it? 

On 7/7/2018 at 7:17 PM, RALNATIVE said:

Raleigh  will never continually move to the next level by trying to model itself after cities like Greenville, SC or any other smaller mid sized metro. This is where Raleigh could learn from Charlotte's playbook. Aim for bigger and better.

Throw Bogota Colombia in there for their transit system. A tale of 2 insecure cities: Charlotte tries too hard and Raleigh doesn't try at all. 

• Like 1