Plaza-Shamrock - Corner of PM and NoDa

archiham04

5 hours ago, nashbill said:

I finally found and bought a house.  It is on Shamrock on the Country Club Acres side of the street.  Shamrock turns into a 2 lane road after Eastway.  I really like the house.  It has been flipped and they did a pretty nice job.  I am on the edge of Country Club Acres and I like the street grid and connectivity of the area.  That is pretty rare here.  Nice for evening walks.  There is no street parking and no side walk on my side of Shamrock.  I think adding sidewalks would make this an even better area.  There is a bus stop right in front of my house that is used quite a bit.  Kind of reminds me of where I grew up.

Got a letter from the city.  They are getting ready to redo the Shamrock, Eastway, Frontenac intersection.  It won't affect my house, but I am close enough that I will see surveyors in the area.  Does this mean they are studying the intersection to make a plan or they are ready to start working on it.  

I think they have already engineered it and are going forward.  If the plan has not changed since I saw it, it will separate Shamrock Drive at Eastway making two intersections about 300 feet or so apart that each hit eastway at 90 degree angles.  This is a rediculous waste in my opinion.   Shamrock/Eastway isnt the best intersection, but not terrible.  Separating will simple disrupt the alignment and make wayfinding worse.  Don't know why DOT can't figure out a non 90degree intersection.

3 hours ago, archiham04 said:

I think they have already engineered it and are going forward.  If the plan has not changed since I saw it, it will separate Shamrock Drive at Eastway making two intersections about 300 feet or so apart that each hit eastway at 90 degree angles.  This is a rediculous waste in my opinion.   Shamrock/Eastway isnt the best intersection, but not terrible.  Separating will simple disrupt the alignment and make wayfinding worse.  Don't know why DOT can't figure out a non 90degree intersection.

It actually is pretty terrible and dangerous if you're on foot.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
On 3/31/2017 at 4:58 AM, archiham04 said:

The two-intersection idea isn't locked in yet - it was just one of a several ideas being considered for making improvements. That intersection doesn't really work well for anyone based on its current design, and people don't like the way Eastway Drive functions more as a barrier between neighborhoods.

• 1 month later...

Was grabbing a quick bite at the delicious Tamales la Pasadita at 3112 The Plaza the other night, and discovered that they blew out the wall next to the booths and appear to be expanding their dining area.  Very happy to see this local restaurant doing well, and hope to see more dining establishments moving into this area in the near future.

Photo Jan 11, 6 29 27 PM.jpg

Edited by IrishCLT
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 1/15/2018 at 11:04 AM, IrishCLT said:

Was grabbing a quick bite at the delicious Tamales la Pasadita at 3112 The Plaza the other night, and discovered that they blew out the wall next to the booths and appear to be expanding their dining area.  Very happy to see this local restaurant doing well, and hope to see more dining establishments moving into this area in the near future.

Tried this spot for the first time today, very good.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have lived in Country Club Acres for 2 years.  Went by fast.  I am amazed at the number of brand new homes being built and the older homes like mine being renovated. Every empty lot seems to be disappearing as  fast as I see the lot.  A new house went up across Shamrock from where I live and was sold before it was completed.  it is 2 story 2 car garage suburban style house.  The architecture doesn't match the area but it's a nice looking house.  New houses are selling for $500,000.  The flipped houses with painted brick exterior and colorful doors are everywhere and new construction is also everywhere.  I went up Shamrock towards The Plaza and passed Pikes Pharmacy and across the street (between Ford and Florida) demolition has taken all the building down.  I don't remember what was there.  It was to far gone to recognize any of it.  Never the less the demo created a very large lot that included the empty lot beside it.  Anyone know what is being built there.  I'm assuming houses or maybe townhouses. No coming soon sign.

Also, when I moved here I got a letter from the city the Eastway and Shamrock intersection was being redone.  2 years now and there is no indication that they are doing anything.  Also, what is up with Sugar Creek?  That has been closed since I have lived here.

• 5 months later...
On 3/14/2019 at 5:21 PM, Matthew.Brendan said:

Hey neighbor. Yes I’ll try to get some pics of the cleared lots sometime soon. I’m not sure what any potential development might look like because the creek is essentially right there. 

They did raze I believe 4 or maybe even 5 structures in all. Yes the whole Plaza Shamrock area is hot hot hot. 

The area that had all the buildings torn down now has a dog park and some benches at one end.  They have used very little of the area as it remains empty. Heard anything  Matthew.B.  If nothing is going to be there because of the creek then make the whole lot a park/playground.  Tennis courts.  Basketball courts.  Large field sports would not fit there.  But a nice play fountain would have been wonderful this summer. 

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, m1823892 said:

Anyone know what's going on with the cleared land on Shamrock near Herrin & Erskine?  I think there used to be a Stab n Grab there...

From what I've heard it's going to be a managed stormwater / flood plain for the creek. There's some city planning documents out there that go into detail but I don't think I saved them after taking a brief look when someone linked them on NextDoor.

In other words, there will be no construction there as it's right on top of the creek.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Found the docs on charmeck website:

https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/ShamrockDriveStreetUpgrade.aspx

No real updates lately except a casual observer notice that the teardown-rebuilds continue to encroach closer to Shamrock proper. 

Separately I’ve heard that Shamrock Elementary is also up for complete replacement? I’ll have to look more into that. Timeline only a few years out from NextDoor rumors. 

1 hour ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Found the docs on charmeck website:

https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/ShamrockDriveStreetUpgrade.aspx

No real updates lately except a casual observer notice that the teardown-rebuilds continue to encroach closer to Shamrock proper. 

Separately I’ve heard that Shamrock Elementary is also up for complete replacement? I’ll have to look more into that. Timeline only a few years out from NextDoor rumors. 

Yes the school is definitely going to be razed and re-built on site. The school will close during construction and the entire student body is heading to (I believe) the Lincoln Heights school building in 2021/2022. 

• Like 1