Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Greenways in Sparkle City

2 posts in this topic

This is pretty exciting stuff for Spartanburg!

The City has decided to commit funding for 10 miles of greenway trails for $675,000 during the next five years. On top of that, Partners for Active Living will request $1.6 million in federal grants and $1.7 million in private funding is needed.

As is typical for the HJ, some of the information is a little vague in terms where they will be built. I took the list from the article and speculated about where I think they are going to go.

• The Mary Black Foundation Rail Trail to Barnet Park - this one sounds like the cycletrack on Converse St that we already know about
  • River Birch Trail to East Main Street (Cottonwood Trail north) - probably extending the trail to East Main
  • Cottonwood Trail to the Mary Black Foundation Rail Trail - maybe use the Duke Power transmission line corridor through Andrews Farm/Woodburn Rd to connect to the rail trail?
  • Wofford Street to the westside - maybe Fairforest Creek from Wofford St to Camelot? This one is the least clear to me about possible trail alignments.

This is a pretty substantial investment for the city and it's residents. I'm pretty excited about the possibilities here.