Greenways in Sparkle City

Spartan

Here's an article on the County's website that says the funds must be spent within 7 years, so that's a decent timeframe. I suspect things could start happening relatively soon.  For instance, I believe the Airport loop has already been through engineering, so it might be the first segment to be built. 

Features also include: a pedestrian/bicycle bridge over Highway 295, approximately four intersection/roadway crossing improvements (Powell Mill Road, US 29/ W.O. Ezell Blvd., John B. White, US 221/ Church Street), approximately five pre-fabricated pedestrian bridges, improvements along US 29 into downtown Spartanburg.

There are also a few renderings: 1 - Bridge over 295 near airport; 2 - Crossing of JBW, Sr Blvd at O'Reilly/creek; 3 - Trailhead on Norris St in Highland

1224058161_Dan295bridgenearSPA.jpg.6ee36eb829ffea2455f40203be7b7d00.jpg

1950099622_DanJBWSrcrossingnearHighland.thumb.jpg.0f0ad0ce7b1c67f40a7f3ee3883ac796.jpg

1695279042_DanHighlandtrailhead-Norris2.thumb.jpg.9f88a79d44b881cc40230b7894847ab8.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Here's a new webpage that has info on the RAISE grant projects that will likely be updated as they progress.  https://www.palspartanburg.org/raise

Don't forget that this grant includes bike/pedestrian improvements of 1.5 miles of West Main Street heading into downtown.  That's much-needed and will really improve that stretch.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There's an item on Monday's City Council agenda that would commit matching funds to a potential federal Land and Water Conservation Fund grant to improve trails around Duncan Park.  If won, the grant would fund 50% of the improvements, up to $300,000.  The aim of the grant proposal is improving Duncan Park’s existing one mile walking path, extending the existing walking path an additional one half mile, improving the Park’s existing four miles of bike trails, assuring connection of the Park’s walking trail to the Mary Black Foundation Rail Trail and Daniel Morgan Trail System, and replacing the Park’s foot bridge.

I'm particularly interested to learn more about the 1/2 mile paved addition and connection to the Rail Trail.  I hope it includes an improved crossing of Union Street.  These would be great improvements, so hopefully we can win the grant.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A few quick updates: the railroad underpass to connect the Drayton Mills Trail to Beverly/Heywood is finally underway.  And Phase 3 of the River Birch Trail, north of East Main and behind Willy Taco (connecting the current trail to Heywood), is also underway!  Great to see more trails progress.

1965363778_RBTP3underway.thumb.jpg.86675247d7cd67bbf87ddbcb489c8e6f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2022 at 12:36 PM, westsider28 said:

A few quick updates: the railroad underpass to connect the Drayton Mills Trail to Beverly/Heywood is finally underway.  And Phase 3 of the River Birch Trail, north of East Main and behind Willy Taco (connecting the current trail to Heywood), is also underway!  Great to see more trails progress.

Follow-up on this: according to this City podcast with PAL's Laura Ringo, there's a large (100 ft) bridge on-order to go over Lawson's Fork for RBT P3, but due to supply-chain issues, it won't be ready until Aug-Sept.  So PAL will focus on the paved portion and bridge prep work, so that's fully done by the time the bridge arrives.  That way, they can plop in the bridge and open the trail very soon after.

Fundraising is currently underway for the Drayton-Beaumont connector (plus they have to work with Duke for the routing, which is challenging due to the steep slope).

There was also a mention (in the longer term future) of a potential connection SW between the Duncan Park Trail and the trail along Fairforest Creek (that will be built w/the RAISE grant).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The County approved funding for several trail projects this evening.  Here's all the info (PDF).  $20k to finish the fencing for the RR underpass at Drayton, $300k toward the Beaumont connector (see plan below), and $1.5M to complete surveying of the RAISE route, 30% engineering drawings, title searches, and easement creation & execution.

270893842_Beaumontconnectorplan.thumb.jpg.58973117818f750ba4b797fb5ab49484.jpg

In PAL's latest e-mail, they also mentioned, "In the next few weeks, we will be paving the next phase of the River Birch Trail."  Exciting trails progress!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/19/2022 at 10:58 PM, westsider28 said:

The County approved funding for several trail projects this evening.  Here's all the info (PDF).  $20k to finish the fencing for the RR underpass at Drayton, $300k toward the Beaumont connector (see plan below), and $1.5M to complete surveying of the RAISE route, 30% engineering drawings, title searches, and easement creation & execution.

270893842_Beaumontconnectorplan.thumb.jpg.58973117818f750ba4b797fb5ab49484.jpg

In PAL's latest e-mail, they also mentioned, "In the next few weeks, we will be paving the next phase of the River Birch Trail."  Exciting trails progress!

Here's an (extremely delayed) H-J article about the approved trails funding.  Nothing new really, but a decent recap of planned trails.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

More trails info from this City Podcast episode.  Opening of the downtown cyclepath should be mid-November.  Construction on the Beaumont connector from Drayton should start Monday.  The Lower Drayton Trail around The Lively apartments should reopen by the end of the year.  Plans are in-motion to extend the MHW Greenway further south (to Schoolhouse Lofts) from its current Marion Avenue terminus.  And looking at a better connection between MHWG and the downtown cyclepath via that one block of Converse (Henry to Kennedy). Apparently there are some stormwater issues to work out (they could just paint a separated path for now, IMO).

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm still blown away by the practically of it all - I used to live at Riverwind Apartments, and would often walk to the old Spartan High. I actually liked it, but if I would have had this sort of trail back then, I would have used it basically every day! The interconnectivity of all these various parts of the city is what has me the most excited about the Dan. Hopefully, it will created an even more integrated sense of community. Kudos to PAL and the rest of the gang for figuring out ways to constantly improve on the system. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/27/2022 at 8:45 PM, westsider28 said:

There's an item on Monday's City Council agenda that would commit matching funds to a potential federal Land and Water Conservation Fund grant to improve trails around Duncan Park.  If won, the grant would fund 50% of the improvements, up to $300,000.  The aim of the grant proposal is improving Duncan Park’s existing one mile walking path, extending the existing walking path an additional one half mile, improving the Park’s existing four miles of bike trails, assuring connection of the Park’s walking trail to the Mary Black Foundation Rail Trail and Daniel Morgan Trail System, and replacing the Park’s foot bridge.

I'm particularly interested to learn more about the 1/2 mile paved addition and connection to the Rail Trail.  I hope it includes an improved crossing of Union Street.  These would be great improvements, so hopefully we can win the grant.

PAL and the City just announced that we were awarded this grant of $300,000 from the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF)!  It's a matching grant, so the total commitment is $600,000.  The revitalization project will include:

-The installation of a new paved trail that will connect Duncan Park to the MBF Rail Trail & The Dan
-The replacement of a wooden bridge with an aluminum bridge
-The removal of invasive plant species

Edited by westsider28
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an updated timeline on trails coming soon:

The River Birch Trail extension behind Willy Taco will begin construction in early March with completion in ~6 weeks.  A 10-foot wide path will then be constructed along Heywood to Beverly, hopefully this summer. 

The upper Three Creeks Trail (was on-street earlier) will hopefully be rebuilt as a side path this summer (City project, so it depends on them).  The lower Three Creeks Trail along Vanderbilt is still dealing with a weird property-ownership issue, but will hopefully start work in the Fall.  The Vanderbilt and West Main intersection is where the new Fairforest Creek Trail will intersect, so it's a very important junction that is being planned carefully to be sure it functions well.

More to come about the Fairforest Creek Trail once I organize some photos.

• Like 1