westsider28

Zoning in Spartanburg County

8 posts in this topic

Spartanburg County is taking the first small steps toward some rudimentary zoning and land-use regulations.  The plan is to divide the county into 5 planning areas and base land use on adjoining roads.  They plan to start with the southwest planning area, which includes BMW, Toray, and Bass Pro Shops projects.  I would prefer comprehensive zoning (like in the City), but at least this is a start.

1 person likes this

I thought this topic was worthy of its own thread. This so-called "land use regulation" could be an important step towards managing sprawl and the general onslaught of bad development in the western portion of the county and Boiling Springs.

This is the same concept that they've been talking about for years at the County level. I wish they had published a map online. If I come across something I'll post it.

County Council voted to move forward with land-use planning

I liked this quote from Planning Commission Chairman Whit Kennedy, "We're going to try to get out in front of growth, which I'll be the first to admit it, we failed miserably at in Boiling Springs."

Good to see that they recognize their mistakes and realize that being proactive with lane-use planning and regulation will benefit everyone in the county.

Well, it's a start!

I want to know more about this so-called framework. It seems to me like they are starting with an out-dated planning model, but it will be interesting to see what comes of it.

The council voted unanimously to approve the measures recommended by the Spartanburg County Planning Commission. The framework of the initiative, dubbed “Area Performance Planning,” divides the counties into zones with similar characteristics. Roads in each of those zones would then be characterized as arterial, collector or local, and land use regulations would be based on the classification of the roads adjacent to the property.

According to the HJ, "An advisory committee for Spartanburg County's Area Performance Planning is set to meet for the first time this month to look at how to balance growth in the county's Southwest Corridor."

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20150705/ARTICLES/150709878/1083/ARTICLES?Title=Spartanburg-County-panel-to-look-at-growth-issues-in-Southwest-Corridor&tc=ar

So, progress still seems to be happening. I'm not clear what the meeting is about exactly, but it's related to the County's land use plans (or lack thereof).

Yeah, I don't know what their deal is.  Everything they're talking about sounds like zoning, but they continue to insist, "There won't be any zoning. We won't zone any dirt. I don't see that coming out of this process."  How would any guidelines they create be enforceable?

There's also been a committee meeting about whether or not to restrict firearm use in "densely populated neighborhoods."  Complaints came from Hillbrook residents who live in the County.  The initial issue to me is defining that ambiguous term.  Zoning would clearly solve that problem, and make the discussion much simpler.  :dontknow:  (Annexing that whole area into the City would solve the problem, too.)

1 person likes this

So it continues... this bastardization of a zoning process is still moving forward. Here's an article from the HJ...The best quote from is this one: "This is not a zoning process," Spartanburg County Planning Director Bob Harkrader said. "We are talking about land use regulation." .....Last time I checked, land use regulations are usually called zoning. 

Using Lexington County as a model for growth is quite possibly the worst idea I've ever heard. Lexington is one of the better examples of horrendous sprawl in this state. It is arguably worse than Spartanburg County in many respects. If this moves forward as the model for growth, it might help prevent the Dollar General scenario on Country Club Rd, but it won't do anything to address the sprawl pattern and traffic that everyone claims to hate.

1 person likes this