Richmond Breweries

Icetera

@wrldcoupe4and @Downtowner-- I can't argue with either of you on this one. I really like the building as well and would like to see it stay, much as I want that parcel redeveloped to keep packing in the density. Obviously, there are plenty of other similarly sized parcels nearby in Scott's just waiting for developers to come in and transform them -- so perhaps this classic building will stand out as a really cool, really unique oasis in the midst of the ever-growing sea of new apartment buildings. Maybe it'll be featured on television on a travelogue showcasing Richmond! :tw_thumbsup::tw_smiley:

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

This collection of building really needs to stay.  This and the HandCraft cleaners building are the only landmarks in the neighborhood.  Without buildings like this, SA has no hope of gaining any sense of place.   There are still dozens of available lots around the area that are prime for redevelopment.   

This place would be great for a small butcher/farmers  market thing (like a small  North Market in Columbus or that market in downtown Milwaukee).  A weekend flea market would be great too.  Something that encourages people to walk through it.  The buildings could probably handle 10-12  vendor stalls?   I’m also recalling the arcades (Selden Market maybe?)  in downtown Norfolk.  They have crafts people set up selling their wares, with bakeries and coffee shops sprinkled  in. 

I know these types of places cannot generate $3million in sales.  The owners are really limiting the range of uses with the high price tag.   Is anyone buying $3 million buildings just to demo them around here anyway?  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

This collection of building really needs to stay.  This and the HandCraft cleaners building are the only landmarks in the neighborhood.  Without buildings like this, SA has no hope of gaining any sense of place.   There are still dozens of available lots around the area that are prime for redevelopment.   

This place would be great for a small butcher/farmers  market thing (like a small  North Market in Columbus or that market in downtown Milwaukee).  A weekend flea market would be great too.  Something that encourages people to walk through it.  The buildings could probably handle 10-12  vendor stalls?   I’m also recalling the arcades (Selden Market maybe?)  in downtown Norfolk.  They have crafts people set up selling their wares, with bakeries and coffee shops sprinkled  in. 

I know these types of places cannot generate $3million in sales.  The owners are really limiting the range of uses with the high price tag.   Is anyone buying $3 million buildings just to demo them around here anyway?  

The  HandCraft building has been converted into something of a mixed-use kind of marketplace building, hasn't it? I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon.

To answer your question: folks plunking down $3 M in Scott's aren't necessarily buying the building. They're buying the property. And yes, they'll demo a $3 M building if they plan to put a $60 M apartment building on the site.

Yes.  The HandCraft building houses some of the most popular destinations in Scott’s Addition. 

I don’t know if you’ve been to Blue Bee cider, if I recall you haven’t been back to Richmond in a while.   It is a pretty sophisticated experience.  It’s the kind of place that you cannot build from scratch today.   When the city owned it and it was surrounded by chain link it didn’t feel very special. Now it’s like the old city center in Montreal (well a 1/4 block of old Montreal lol). 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

Yes.  The HandCraft building houses some of the most popular destinations in Scott’s Addition. 

I don’t know if you’ve been to Blue Bee cider, if I recall you haven’t been back to Richmond in a while.   It is a pretty sophisticated experience.  It’s the kind of place that you cannot build from scratch today.   When the city owned it and it was surrounded by chain link it didn’t feel very special. Now it’s like the old city center in Montreal (well a 1/4 block of old Montreal lol). 

Very neat repurpose of the HandCraft building. The printing company my father managed was one block west of the HandCraft building on Leigh Street.

Correct - I haven't been back to RVA since my mother's funeral 20 years ago.  Still working on plans to change that potentially late this fall. From the pix I've seen of the cidery, it's a realllllllllllly cool place - and I can see it standing out as an oasis amidst all of these spanking new apartment buildings. Very much hoping a buyer with an eye toward keeping the cidery open will be found.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Very neat repurpose of the HandCraft building. The printing company my father managed was one block west of the HandCraft building on Leigh Street.

Correct - I haven't been back to RVA since my mother's funeral 20 years ago.  Still working on plans to change that potentially late this fall. From the pix I've seen of the cidery, it's a realllllllllllly cool place - and I can see it standing out as an oasis amidst all of these spanking new apartment buildings. Very much hoping a buyer with an eye toward keeping the cidery open will be found.

We should schedule our forum meet around the time you come to RVA.

• Like 3