15th Street Pier Redevelopment

757Duke

• 3 months later...

They've torn down the entire block between Atlantic and Pacific from 14th-15th street. Construction is in the early stages and for lease signs are up. Looks like this will be one of the first redevelopments that is based on the form based code. I'm happy to see outside seating, and some variety in the frontages with awnings and balconies. 

Looks like the bottom floor will be "anchored" by a Sunsations (surprise surprise!) but they'll have multi-story shopping, which is new for the strip. Scroll to the bottom and click "View Floorplans"

http://piershopsat15thstreet.com/

I actually like the concept of multi-story shopping. I've seen it in other cities, but the only place I know of here that has it is over in Hilltop.

Looking at the link above, it says the population is 817,000. I imagine they're including Norfolk and Chesapeake in that figure as well...even though those two push the population to more than 900K.

It's next to the Whole Foods. It's not really a prominent building, just something I noticed.

Come to think of it, the building is actually offices, not shopping. But the design of this building reminds me of it...sorry for the confusion.

Edited by BFG

To be honest guys this isn't a bad development for the area. Considering what it's replacing, and the fact that it includes 200 apartments wrapped around a parking garage, I'm on board. It should contribute significantly to the urban feel of a frankly neglected portion of the beach. Not concerned about the renderings just yet. They're the typical nondescript, watercolor, placeholders that are normally inserted into a proposal early in the design phase. I'll wait for future iterations to pass judgement.

I agree this development could set a new precedent for the immediate area. Things are looking up for the Oceanfront area from new mixed use housing/retail, new hotels and hopefully the new arena. Oh, and the new Ifly indoor skydiving facility sounds quite interesting.

Edited by urbanvb

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

"Plans are in the works for a major Oceanfront development that would span three city blocks and feature a new 15th Street pier with a giant Ferris wheel and possibly a surfing hall of fame. If approved, the development would dramatically alter the landscape at the heart of the resort strip."

http://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/proposed-oceanfront-development-would-dramatically-alter-resort-strip/article_f8709b8b-034f-51ca-b146-d312f0f1c0d7.html

I know that Bruce Thompson is a polarizing figure, but I like that he's trying to get the Beach to establish itself as a true destination. The architecture reflects his vision of turning it into more than just a family-friendly getaway.

Hopefully this one becomes a reality. I love the new pier concept.

• 4 months later...
On February 9, 2015 at 11:39 AM, vboceanfront said:

They've torn down the entire block between Atlantic and Pacific from 14th-15th street. Construction is in the early stages and for lease signs are up. Looks like this will be one of the first redevelopments that is based on the form based code. I'm happy to see outside seating, and some variety in the frontages with awnings and balconies. 

Looks like the bottom floor will be "anchored" by a Sunsations (surprise surprise!) but they'll have multi-story shopping, which is new for the strip. Scroll to the bottom and click "View Floorplans"

http://piershopsat15thstreet.com/

Was actually down at the oceanfront this weekend and it looks like this project is almost complete. It actually looks quite nice in person, better than the renderings let on.