15th Street Pier Redevelopment

757Duke

I was in Miami for Memorial Day weekend, and naturally had a blast. There were some similarities to VB, mainly the foot traffic. But in terms of the architecture and layout, it was basically VB for grown-ups. It seems like Bruce Thompson is trying to move away from that cookie-cutter, family-friendly image, or at least downplay it in favor of a bona fide tourist destination, like a Miami for people who can't afford to go there. I'm all in favor of that, esp. if it means replacing that little carnival along Atlantic Ave. It just seems so cheesy.

• Like 2

That little carnival does bring in a lot of families. People expect stuff like that at a beach. It's something to do when you're not in the mood for just hanging out at the beach. And it sure beats more cookie cutter tourist trap shops, or just another building with the same chain stores and restaurants. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not so fast? VB Council (wait for it) is expressing doubts about whether this is necessary.

https://pilotonline.com/business/real-estate/article_14626487-b04b-5240-ac23-994fb2731ddb.html

I get John Moss's concern about the need for things like drainage ditches, but the article says this would be paid for from the tourism budget. I imagine things like drainage ditches fall under infrastructure?

Now that I've thought about this, VB is shooting itself in the foot if they say no to this. I know it's a popular destination, but this could be a great opportunity to rebrand itself and move into a new era.

Edited by BFG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

VIRGINIA BEACH: Let's not spend taxpayer dollars on an ambitious project, because it could fail, although we'd have to try pretty hard not to make it work.

ALSO VIRGINIA BEACH: Let's spend taxpayer dollars on another study, then reject the whole thing altogether.

• Like 2

The King of Studies is nothing yet predictable at least we've got that. Predictability is so much better than an arena, literally anything on the dome site, a ferris wheel, a new pier, or literally any other development that could lift the city and the region right? 

But maybe we're wrong maybe this study won't lead to just another study or cancellaion of this project like nearly every other before. 

Edited by Urbanlooker

• 2 weeks later...

And it’s over...

https://pilotonline.com/pdf_0f59d83e-289b-11e8-95ed-2fda0f3c930f.html

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/local/article_8a1e02ec-288d-11e8-ac26-af61c0e7d82d.html

Virginia Beach knows no bounds in it’s race towards mediocrity.

“Earlier this week, Bruce Thompson said he didn’t know if he was going to continue chasing a partnership with the city to build a pier.

In an interview, Thompson said it wasn’t fair that the city started the bidding process over.

“I don't need to do it,” he said. “I have a lot of better things I can do with my time and a lot of markets that seem appreciative.””

Hopefully he’s talking about Norfolk. If we can’t have it here then having it there is the next best option. I could see something like this working over at the waterfront near Harbor Park.

No, the pier is not a done deal even without the enhancements. The minority member bloc  on Council does not want a pier, and the majority has caved. And they will continue to cave because they have no guts and they do not understand how to wield their majority voting power. What feckless  imbeciles. Cowards.  I have emailed a scathing message of protest to the majority and the majority, alone. And I routinely support them with positive emails, so I hope this one stands out. Even though I am one small cog in a giant wheel, I must call a spade a spade. Bruce is right. This is crap.  Unfortunately, business as usual of late on the Virginia Beach City Council. 

Edited by baobabs727
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

The Sibony family (Sunsations) now own all of the properties associated with this proposal with their purchase of Breakers Resort. When it was reported earlier this year that they were purchasing the pier, their lawyer stated that he expects a development proposal from them for this site. Something to keep an eye on…