Parade of Downtown Living

allbusiness

I see Grand Rapids Magazine is hosting a first-ever "Parade of Downtown Living". Here's a link to their page: Grand Rapids Magazine. Click on the "parade" logo at the lower right to jump to the information page.

There aren't a lot of participants, but it's not too bad for their first year. Hopefully, it will be a success and will be an annual event focusing on downtown lofts, condos and apartment living.

They're using it to raise money for Dwelling Place of GR.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Parade of Downtown Living is Friday, June 17 and Saturday, June 18. Tickets are $10 and may be purchased at various National City Branches, Dwelling Place, or Grand Rapids Magazine/Gemini Publications Offices (549 Ottawa Ave. NW, Suite 201).

The tour hits Union Square, the American Seating Park, the old Berkey & Gay building (The Boardwalk), Icon on Bond (or at least their Brassworks Building office/prototype), Monroe Terrace, River House (or at least their Bridgewater Place office), City View (Select Bank Building), Front Row Condos (upstairs from Jimmy Johns on Monroe Center), Peck Building Lofts and Tannery Row/The Fitzgerald on Ionia Ave.

It really is a great chance to see first-hand what so much of the discussion on this forum is dedicated to ... and I'm not just saying that because I have any sort of affiliation with any of the sponsors ;) .

The Parade of Downtown Living is Friday, June 17 and Saturday, June 18. Tickets are $10 and may be purchased at various National City Branches, Dwelling Place, or Grand Rapids Magazine/Gemini Publications Offices (549 Ottawa Ave. NW, Suite 201).

The tour hits Union Square, the American Seating Park, the old Berkey & Gay building (The Boardwalk), Icon on Bond (or at least their Brassworks Building office/prototype), Monroe Terrace, River House (or at least their Bridgewater Place office), City View (Select Bank Building), Front Row Condos (upstairs from Jimmy Johns on Monroe Center), Peck Building Lofts and Tannery Row/The Fitzgerald on Ionia Ave.

It really is a great chance to see first-hand what so much of the discussion on this forum is dedicated to ... and I'm not just saying that because I have any sort of affiliation with any of the sponsors  ;) .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I, for one, am very excited to take a look at all these places. Except Union Square. I know if I go there I'll be mad I never sent in that $1000 check. ;)

This sounds really cool. I have been in Monroe Terrace and City View, but I would love to check out the rest. I will have to pencil this in. :) Woz, can you buy tickets at the door too, or only beforehand?

Joe

It really is a great chance to see first-hand what so much of the discussion on this forum is dedicated to ... and I'm not just saying that because I have any sort of affiliation with any of the sponsors  ;) .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you all are going to the parade, you should check out the Hillmount apartments on the corner of cherry st. and college. They are going condo after being apartments for 50 years. It is a great mid-century modern sturcture that is being converted into some very affordable condos. The starting price is supposed to be around 65K for a studio.

Plus the location in heritage hill is prime between downtown and uptown.

If you all are going to the parade, you should check out the Hillmount apartments on the corner of cherry st. and college. They are going condo after being apartments for 50 years. It is a great mid-century modern sturcture that is being converted into some very affordable condos. The starting price is supposed to be around 65K for a studio.

Plus the location in heritage hill is prime between downtown and uptown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where did you get this info and is there anything else you can share?

I work for Second Story Properties and I was just given the OK to talk about the project here. I have been observing your discussion here for some time, but never said anything. However, i would love feedback on our projects...both good and bad. There should be a press release soon about the project, but I wanted to see what you all think about Hillmount going condo and get some feedback.

We are partnering with EQ3 and IKEA in the decor and we want to make the units market affordable (not low income) to live in a decorate in the same mid-century modern style. The are starting at 65K with options to upgrade.

I will keep you posted with info, but you all should come and see this parade stop.

I work for Second Story Properties and I was just given the OK to talk about the project here. I have been observing your discussion here for some time, but never said anything. However, i would love feedback on our projects...both good and bad. There should be a press release soon about the project, but I wanted to see what you all think about Hillmount going condo and get some feedback.

We are partnering with EQ3 and IKEA in the decor and we want to make the units market affordable (not low income) to live in a decorate in the same mid-century modern style. The are starting at 65K with options to upgrade.

I will keep you posted with info, but you all should come and see this parade stop.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't been in Hillmount for some time, but are there plans to renovate the lobby, hallways, and stairwell areas? I don't remember feeling all that great about the common areas.

65K, plus figuring 5% - 10% for upgrades, 5% down = probably about $600 - $650/month including taxes and insurance. That's not bad at all for a studio ;) Are there any 1 or 2 bedroom units available? Do you have a website yet for this project and for the Cherry Street Project with Bazzani?

65K, plus figuring 5% - 10% for upgrades, 5% down = probably about $600 - $650/month including taxes and insurance.  That's not bad at all for a studio ;)  Are there any 1 or 2 bedroom units available?  Do you have a website yet for this project and for the Cherry Street Project with Bazzani?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget those darned association fees. :)

Don't forget those darned association fees.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that'll jack the price up. :blink: Whats up with that, I'd rather just pay more for the initial investment.. although that doesn't take care of long term on going maintenece costs, but 300+ per month, like at other downtown condos seems a bit steep :unsure: Any idea acarlton what kind of monthly fees they're looking at?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that'll jack the price up.  :blink:  Whats up with that, I'd rather just pay more for the initial investment.. although that doesn't take care of long term on going maintenece costs, but 300+ per month, like at other downtown condos seems a bit steep  :unsure:  Any idea acarlton what kind of monthly fees they're looking at?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just wanted to bump this as it's in a few days. I got my tickets today and i'm excited!

It's a great event for downtown living. If you have a chance, go. I went to a similar event late last fall (I think it was a benefit for the Opera) and was able to check out Monroe Terrace and City View. Both had some spectacular condos.

Don't miss out!

Joe

It's a great event for downtown living. If you have a chance, go. I went to a similar event late last fall (I think it was a benefit for the Opera) and was able to check out Monroe Terrace and City View. Both had some spectacular condos.

Don't miss out!

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone have an idea of what they're showing at American Seating. Having known a lot of people who lived in the apartments, I just want to know if it's worth going over there. Are they showing anything spectacular?

Does anyone have an idea of what they're showing at American Seating.  Having known a lot of people who lived in the apartments, I just want to know if it's worth going over there.  Are they showing anything spectacular?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well.. I'm sure I can tell you as I've lived there. I'm sure they're showing Clark Place - The "Nice" side of the building with REALLY nice apartments. Having been in a few of them, I wouldn't mind living there.

The "Other" side, is 100% college students, which makes for a fun and noise filled hallway.

But being my brother, you knew that. :D

That is a nice building and the rooftop deck looks great. Needs a little touchup on the facade though with all the newly renovated buildings...

Joe

Well.. I'm sure I can tell you as I've lived there.  I'm sure they're showing Clark Place - The "Nice" side of the building with REALLY nice apartments.  Having been in a few of them, I wouldn't mind living there.

The "Other" side, is 100% college students, which makes for a fun and noise filled hallway.

But being my brother, you knew that.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So it's over! I went to most of the properties and had a ton of fun!

My thoughts -

Union Square, definately the most creative and cool - if I were younger, I'd move in right away. I loved the school stuff throughout - very neat! (lockers, old signs and plaques) I can't wait to see it completed. We laughed at Jon Rooks trying to sell it on us (we had our little son with us). He said "We'd love to have more families and kids move in, we don't have many." My wife was like, "Now there's incentive - he'll be the only kid on the block!" =) The location was my least favorite, however - it is an awkward walk to downtown.

Monroe Center - Front Row will be cool when the units are finished, I love walking out on Monroe Center - especially since it's getting more and more stores. Peck was OK, Tannery Row (Ionia) was nothing great (but a low price), Cityview was very cool. The penthouse was incredible but $1.4 million seemed a little much to me.

Riverhouse - I wasn't sure if I'd like it, because I love those old buildings and it's kind of separated from the city. Great presentation, they have 85% reserved and she made it sound like this fall it would be going up with people moving in the spring of 2007. 32 stories and 400' high. They had food and drinks and everything, but no model, of course. Then they took us to the Varnum balconies on the 17th floor. WHAT A VIEW! I was ready to sign up right then - we loved it! Someday..... The prices didn't seem out of control either. It sure sounded like a sure thing - I really hope it goes up!

Monroe Terrace - You've probably seen photos. That penthouse is quite a party pad! What a cool entertaining place. You gotta love it.

ICON on Bond - The presentation was pretty good, nice office. I just couldn't help but think that we'll never see it. I really wanted to ask why there was a wall on the main floor, why no retail, why do they say "Going Up" and call it a high rise when it's only 9 stories, why, why, why? But didn't have the time. It seemed overpriced too. With all the other choices, I'll be curious to see if they can get it off the ground. The good thing - it was back in March when I was trying to find out what their ad in GR mag was about that I found this great site! =)

OK, I didn't plan on typing a book, but I had so much fun I guess I couldn't resist.

Now, tell me what you thought if you went to the Parade.

(I hope they do this every year! It's waty better than driving all through Ada to look at houses!)

Archived