Parade of Downtown Living

allbusiness

I was too busy, so I wasn't able to attend. :( Please post any other thoughts, concerns, or comments on the downtown Parade if you went. Does anyone know if it was a success (did many people go?) Your responses would be greatly appreciated! Did anyone get some pics? :D

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was too busy, so I wasn't able to attend. :(  Please post any other thoughts, concerns, or comments on the downtown Parade if you went. Does anyone know if it was a success (did many people go?) Your responses would be greatly appreciated! Did anyone get some pics? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was a success. People came out in droves. I went to Union Square, Hillmount, and all of ones along Monroe Center.

As far as I'm concerned Jon Rooks was the star of the show. The models at Union Square were awesome and the 1.4 Million dollar condo in the People's Building was steller. If I had 1.4 Mil. burning a hole in my pocket I'd snap that one up in a heartbeat.

I liked the Peck Building's model. It was a funky one bedroom job. The only thing I didn't like about it was the water heater on the mezzanine above the bathroom in the bedroom. I'd hate to look at that all the time.

Front Row was cool. The units are deceptively large. I wasn't impressed when I walked in but when you go upstairs there is about twice as much square footage then below. The 400k price tag for a shell made me cringe a bit.

Unfortunately our camera puked out on us at the first stop so I don't have pics. I hope others took some.

Nitro

Yeah, I felt it was very busy, too. Before we got there my wife and I were saying that it wasn't promoted very well...like how the Parade of Homes is in the paper every night leading up to it. BUT, if there were more people there it would have been hard to fit more people in the elevators!

It could be chaos in the future if it catches on! (Good chaos!)

Thanks for the info mrgreven. I'm excited by Riverhouse. I really hope it is a go. If they truly have 85% reserved and can convert 60-70% into buyers, it truly could go up this fall. My question is always how serious are the people that put up 100% refundable deposits.

Did they seem to be signing up more people when you were there?

Joe

Did they seem to be signing up more people when you were there?

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a matter of fact, I felt like I was the only one there that wasn't interested, just looking. It seemed as if there were a lot of "empty nest" aged couples and they knew the sales lady and were taking about deposits and pricing on different floors. Whereas the other stops seemed like a bunch of gawkers, this one seemed like a bunch of buyers, but those are just my impressions. The sales lady did say, "It has been a madhouse here over the last couple days!" I did ask if they'd go taller if they had lots more reservations, but she said, "No, we're not going over 400' and she did mention that the renderings that they had are changing as it has grown since then."

Excellent News! Thanks for the inside tip. If anyone gets new renderings please post them.

Joe

As a matter of fact, I felt like I was the only one there that wasn't interested, just looking.  It seemed as if there were a lot of "empty nest" aged couples and they knew the sales lady and were taking about deposits and pricing on different floors.  Whereas the other stops seemed like a bunch of gawkers, this one seemed like a bunch of buyers, but those are just my impressions.  The sales lady did say, "It has been a madhouse here over the last couple days!"  I did ask if they'd go taller if they had lots more reservations, but she said, "No, we're not going over 400' and she did mention that the renderings that they had are changing as it has grown since then."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a matter of fact, I felt like I was the only one there that wasn't interested, just looking.  It seemed as if there were a lot of "empty nest" aged couples and they knew the sales lady and were taking about deposits and pricing on different floors.  Whereas the other stops seemed like a bunch of gawkers, this one seemed like a bunch of buyers, but those are just my impressions.  The sales lady did say, "It has been a madhouse here over the last couple days!"  I did ask if they'd go taller if they had lots more reservations, but she said, "No, we're not going over 400' and she did mention that the renderings that they had are changing as it has grown since then."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lisa, who sells for Riverhouse, is well known in the local new home sales market and was the Sales Manager for Pulte. Although Pulte could not capture the market share they wanted (bad looking plats, overpriced lots, not knowing the local market very well) and had to leave GR, she was a barricuda when it came to sales ;) They picked the right person for that job, and she will get that place built.

Excellent News! Thanks for the inside tip. If anyone gets new renderings please post them.

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"New renderings as it has grown since then?" "Not higher than 400'?" Last I heard they were only at 371'. That would lead me to believe that demand for the highest floors is going strong, and we will see at least a couple more.

• 4 weeks later...

I work for Second Story Properties and I was just given the OK to talk about the project here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just checked and you were never given permission to sell your projects on this site by any of us. You need to read the rules, which you agreed to do when you signed up. And if you email another member with your contact info you are going to be banned.

If you want to continue here as a member in good standing, please review our rules and abide by them. UrbanPlanet is not a mechanism for you to make a profit at our expense. I would hope that a real estate agent would have better ethics than this.

all,

In response to monsoon, I agree that I do not want this forum to become a platform for our projects at second story. That was my concern with posting in the first place...I assure you I am not an agent either, I am an architecture student in transition. I didn't want to be dishonest about my identity or where i got my info.

I post on this forum because I am passionate about urbanism and often feel the need to vent my frustrations here. I also feel that this forum has the potential for folks like me, who care about Grand Rapids, to voice their opinions and create change. SSP has the political and economic opportunity to carry out change to make the city better. I am looking for feedback...good and bad. If you hate developers...I want to know why. If you want more apartments in the city...I want to know how. Not to sell projects, but to learn about how to meet the needs of city dwellers and those who wish to be.

I appologize if I went against forum rules.

all,

to learn about how to meet the needs of city dwellers and those who wish to be.

I appologize if I went against forum rules.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You did go too far by posting your email, phone number and using UrbanPlanet resources to contact other members to spam for your project. This is not the first time that we have seen a real estate developer do this then hide under the veil of "oh I want to learn about so and so...." It makes our job of suppling a free site as a public service much more difficult and is not appreciated by the staff and the vast majority of honest forumers.

If you had read the rules as you agreed to do when you joined here then there should have been no question that you crossed the line.

You did go too far by posting your email, phone number and using UrbanPlanet resources to contact other members to spam for your project.  This is not the first time that we have seen a real estate developer do this then hide under the veil of "oh I want to learn about so and so...."  It makes our job of suppling a free site as a public service much more difficult and is not appreciated by the staff and the vast majority of honest forumers. 

If you had read the rules as you agreed to do when you joined here then there should have been no question that you crossed the line.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guess I'm in the same boat as acarlton. Same deal, my interests are sincere and my motives are consistent with what I think this site represents; I'm a huge fan of downtown renewal to the point that I've chosen to make a career of it.

I've never "advertised" here, but I often answer people's questions about projects I'm doing.

Always thought that part was OK, but seeing the 'smackdown' acarlton got I now wonder where the line is so I do not cross it. I have read the rules.

The insight and correspondance here is great; just ask JoeDowntown. He wanted exterior window muntin bars installed at 180 Monroe and he got 'em !!

Developers (who are not 'advertising' here) can have sincere interest in urban renewal, it isn't that all projects just happen for money.

So that's where I am. If I've missed it monsoon then gimme the flick !

Guess I'm in the same boat as acarlton.  Same deal, my interests are sincere and my motives are consistent with what I think this site represents; I'm a huge fan of downtown renewal to the point that I've chosen to make a career of it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I, personally, have appreciated every bit of information the two of you have given us. I would guess that someone has complained though. I think its totally fine to give information on a given project if someone asks. I think you two have some of the best info to give too, right down to price points. I too would like to know where the line is that can't be crossed. If someone wants to know how to get in contact with a particular development, and you happen to be in charge there, why can't you give your own contact info as opposed to me looking it up and posting it?

Archived