Downtown Minneapolis Retail

Twin Citian

I thought I would dedicate a thread to downtown Minneapolis retail (past, present, and, future).  

The downtown Minneapolis retail scene has experienced several ups and downs over the years. Large department stores and locally owned specialty retailers dominated Nicollet Avenue for several years.  Once Southdale Center (the nation’s first enclosed shopping mall) opened in Edina, many shoppers no longer found it necessary to head downtown to shop. 

As automobile ownership grew so did the suburbs as well as the demand for shopping malls.  In order to keep up, Nicollet Avenue underwent a conversion in the late 60s that turned an 11-block stretch into the nation’s first transit mall.  The transition worked and by the mid-80s there was over 3.5 million sf of retail space centered around Nicollet Mall and within four, large retail centers including the Conservatory, City Center, Gavidae Common, and Gaviidae Common II.

Things changed drastically in the early 90s when the Mall of America opened and became THE destination shopping center for not only shoppers within the Twin Cities area but the upper-Midwest.

At the same time the nearby Uptown neighborhood started shifting from a predominantly blue-collar area to a more trendy retail destination.  By late the late 00s there were roughly 90 retail establishments within the traditional downtown Minneapolis shopping area – down from 180 in the late 90s.

Retail in downtown Minneapolis is evolving and most importantly, rebounding.  The department store experiment is over and currently, boutiques as well as smaller, national retailers are opening.  Things can only get better now that downtown employment is at roughly 165,000 and the population is nearing 40,000.

Here is a list of former and current stores within the downtown Minneapolis.  I will update both lists as I’m sure I forgot a few.  I will also update with retail-related news and photos.

Former Stores

Ann Taylor

Badiner Jewelers

Benetton

Borders Bookstore (defunct)

Brentano's Bookstore

Burberry's

Carson Pirie Scott

Coach

Cole Haan

Crate and Barrel

Donaldson’s (defunct department store)

Franklin Covey 

Hahn

Harold (defunct)

J.C. Penney

Kuhlman & Co.

Laura Ashley

Mark Shale

Montgomery Ward (defunct department store)

Neiman Marcus

Pierre Dieux

Polo

Powers Dry Goods (defunct department store)

Room and Board 

Saks Fifth Avenue

Sears

Sharper Image

Talbots

T.J. Maxx

Tiffany’s

Williams-Sonoma

Young Quinlan

Current Retail

Department Stores

Target

Macy’s

Marshalls

Women’s & Men’s Apparel

Sak's Fifth Avenue OFF 5th (relocating elsewhere within downtown)

Banana Republic

Gap

Brooks Brothers

I’ve Got Your Style

To Soho

Len

Arrow

Women’s Apparel

Bahu

D.Nolo

C'est Chic Boutique

Lolë

Roe Wolfe

Grethen House North

Men’s Apparel

Hubert White

Elsworth Menswear

Marty Mathis Clothiers

Men’s Wearhouse and Tux

MartinPatrick3 

JoS. A. Bank

Askov Finlayson

Allen Edmonds

Children

Gap Kids

Pacifier

Shoe Stores

Foot Locker

Grocery Stores

Lunds

Whole Foods

Home Goods

The Foundry 

ID Inside Design 

FinnStyle

Designer Marketplace 

Outdoor

Filson

Shinola

Jewelers

JB Hudson Jewelers

R.F. Moeller Jeweler

Stephen Vincent Design

Lowell Lundeen Jewelry

Eyewear

Solomon Optical

Drugstores

Walgreens

CVS Pharmacy (two)

Dahl Pharmacy

Electronics

RadioShack

Books & Magazines

Open Book

Mead Hall Games & Comics

Barnes & Noble Booksellers

Big Brain Comics

Lickety Split

Wine & Spirits

Haskell's

North Loop 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three stores have announced that they will be opening in downtown Minneapolis

Chrome Industries will be opening its sixth US store in downtown.  Chrome also has stores in San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Portland and Seattle

Atmosfere - men's clothing store

Wilson & Willy’s

• 3 months later...

It has been confirmed that Walgreens is opening an upscale store in the space Saks Off Fifth is currently occupying.  Saks will be moving to City Center and opening in 2016.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/blog/real_estate/2014/12/walgreens-opening-nicollet-mall-store-minneapolis.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2015/01/27/city-center-saks-off-5th-in-downtown-minneapolis.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived