Raleigh Skyline

RALNATIVE

• 6 months later...

Corner of Boylan and Hargett. The final nail in the second one's coffin was the widening of the railroad right of way which required obtaining enough of this property to make the setback impossible to maintain. I imagine that one day a second building of some sort will materialize. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, MireLanski said:

Pivot half a step to the right and you'd see one of my cars parked on Peace Street.  I live in the townhomes behind the KK sign.

Ah, ok...I was trying to remember who was on here that lived there...I remember the construction delay conversation we had back then and was wondering...was it worth the wait? I felt bad for you back then. Hope it's all going well now. I walk past there daily from Boundary to my office in the Archdale (I'm too cheap to pay $10 a month for a parking space in a State lot, lol) and it's much nicer to walk past civilization instead of a motor fleet parking lot. 

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Jones_ said:

It's like architects can only see the "front" of a building anymore. The AIA headquarters on Peace infuriates me every time I walk past it because it straight up ignores that Peace St is even there. Same brown pressed metal sheets as looks like are on the back on Union. 

I used to live across from that thing and had to drive past it every day.  That building is the worst thing ever in terms of embracing pedestrian connectivity, considering it's the AIA headquarters.

14 hours ago, DPK said:

I used to live across from that thing and had to drive past it every day.  That building is the worst thing ever in terms of embracing pedestrian connectivity, considering it's the AIA headquarters.

It's got that "shipping container chic" look going, just like the brown metal (it looks metallic?) on the backside of Union Station. Also on the backside of the Dillon apartments, which can be seen very well from the Dillon webcam (https://app.oxblue.com/open/clancytheys/thedillon ). I know it's the backside, but it's still very visible from many areas so I wish they'd used brick all the way around. I guess that new "shipping container brown" is the new EIFS stucco. 

• Like 1

Frank Lloyd Wright was very much about getting away from the City. His designs, while pretty cool and have lots of fans, are firmly entrenched in suburban style existence. To this day, anything modernist seems like it carries on that idea, and the AIA hq is exhibit A. 

Edited by Jones_

• 1 year later...
On 7/9/2019 at 5:37 PM, KJHburg said:

Couple skyline shots of downtown Raleigh from today from various places.

IMG_0425.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0444.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

IMG_0459.JPG

IMG_0463.JPG

Even though I wished that Charter Square North were taller, it has made a bigger impact on the skyline than I expected from that angle in the first photo.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...