Raleigh Skyline

RALNATIVE

On 8/29/2019 at 8:48 AM, Green_man said:

I'm really curious what happens to the block east of Moore Square.  Would be great to get some height here and really activate all 4 sides of the park and extend the urban core more to the east.  West half of the block is zoned DX-20-SH, east half is zoned DX-12-UG-CU.

All of the area zoned for 12 floors is owned by the city, and the area zoned for 20 is owned by the city, Raleigh Rescue mission, and a few others so it could possibly be harder to pull together.

Perhaps the city could world out a deal to trade the land for inclusion of affordable housing or something?

Edited by InitialD

6 hours ago, InitialD said:

All of the area zoned for 12 floors is owned by the city, and the area zoned for 20 is owned by the city, Raleigh Rescue mission, and a few others so it could possibly be harder to pull together.

Perhaps the city could world out a deal to trade the land for inclusion of affordable housing or something?

I don't think the Outpost is. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/4/2019 at 3:38 PM, InitialD said:

It's not all city owned.  The lots at the corner of Person and Hargett Streets (The Outpost), the lot at the middle of Martin Street (Law Offices), and the lot at the corner of Person and Martin Streets (what was Killo Pest Control) are all independently owned.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

so many new high rises are zoned or being rezoned now if half of these get built what a skyline Raleigh would have.  It is getting hard for me to keep up.   I do believe the NCAE and Dominion project will happen but it is exciting this much is being proposed.

From a subscriber article today in the Biz Journal.  Bold emphasis mine. 

""Capital Square, with headquarters outside of Richmond, has filed a request with the city to rezone two parcels of land to allow for mixed-use development up to 20 stories tall.   The parcels are situated on 1.32 acres and 320 and 328 W. South Street, cater-cornered to the Red Hat Amphitheater along W. Lenoir Street. The properties currently feature a squat commercial structure and the Victory Tabernacle Church. Current zoning allows for development up to 5 stories high.   

The rezoning joins a growing list of moves by property owners and developers on the southern side of downtown Raleigh.   A block to the west of Capital Square’s properties, Raleigh-based Dominion Realty Partners is moving ahead with plans for a massive multi-tower development called Salisbury Square. Plans for the project call for four new structures, including two 20-story towers, a hotel and a parking structure with a total project cost exceeding $300 million.   To the north of the 320 W. South Street site, a Greenville company has plans for a new residential development after assembling a collection of parcels at 301 West Cabarrus Street last year.   Elsewhere in downtown Raleigh, Heritage Properties is looking to add an 18-story tower to its Bloc83 development in Glenwood South. The project would be situated on a pair of properties at 615 W. Morgan St. and 117 S. Boylan Ave. It would sit near One Glenwood and its sister tower, Tower Two.""

Not to mention the proposed up to 40 story tower near Smoky Hollow  and the one on Fayetteville St. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/07/06/downtown-raleigh-properties-could-see-20-story.html

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2019 at 3:38 PM, InitialD said:

This property will certainly undergo re-zoning given it's right next to Moore Square the property value is very high.  Very odd for a city like this one to have an abandoned bug exterminator building right next to a premier downtown park for the past two decades. 

Personally I'm fine with this block to stay undeveloped until someone wants to build a signature tower on it like a world class hotel, high end condo with great design, or F500 HQ's. 

Edited by carolina1792
spelling
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/13/2020 at 2:20 PM, RALNATIVE said:

Taken today at Moore Square.

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

I had hoped that Moore Square would get a more elaborate water feature.   The one at Center City Park in Greensboro is so nice.  Charlotte also has some nice ones by BoA and in Polk Park.  Durham also has some.

Hopefully, Raleigh and Chapel Hill will get one.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

What's KJHburg doing over here posting pictures in this forum?  Traitor!  Haha  :)

Well I'm going to be in North Carolina next week and I'm thinking I might pop over ro Raleigh for a day to check it out.  I can count on one hand the number of times I've been in Raleigh in my entire life, and the last time was about 25 years ago, so I'm antipating some surprises.  One other time was on a particularly happy night in 1983 when the N. C. State Wolfpack stunned Houston and the rest of the nation.  :)

I like fast growing NC cities and Raleigh is one of them.  Head over to the Capital City, go downtown and see some of their projects.  Go to North Hills and Midtown Six Forks Rd and the Beltline I-440.   Check out their parks and greenways the best in the state!  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I like fast growing NC cities and Raleigh is one of them.  Head over to the Capital City, go downtown and see some of their projects.  Go to North Hills and Midtown Six Forks Rd and the Beltline I-440.   Check out their parks and greenways the best in the state!  

Thanks for the tips! I really had little clue what to check out so this helps.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Thanks for the tips! I really had little clue what to check out so this helps.

Speaking of parks, definitely stop by Moore Square on a Saturday. It's incredible how this park evolved. It is usually crowded on Saturdays and has a very diverse crowd. Everyone is pleasant and friendly. It has the feel of an urban park in a much larger city.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Plus our NC state owned museums are the best in the south!  Check out the NC Art Museum out on Blue Ridge Road , the natural history and history museums downtown.

All are free at limited capacity now but even if you just breeze through them you will see some great stuff. 

One more thing while I live and love the Charlotte area I could easily see myself living in the Raleigh Durham Cary area.  In fact I would rather live in the Triangle region over a Nashville or Austin any day.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Plus our NC state owned museums are the best in the south!  Check out the NC Art Museum out on Blue Ridge Road , the natural history and history museums downtown.

All are free at limited capacity now but even if you just breeze through them you will see some great stuff. 

One more thing while I live and love the Charlotte area I could easily see myself living in the Raleigh Durham Cary area.  In fact I would rather live in the Triangle region over a Nashville or Austin any day.  

I agree about the museums.  While Charlotte is my original N.C. home and I love it, its museums aren’t that good.  The new buildings on Tryon are gorgeous (and the original Mint is too), but their collections are lame.  The museums in Raleigh are way better.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1