Ascent Uptown - 33 stories (3rd and Poplar)

navigator319

Hopefully one of them has been in a Coma since 2006, and wakes up when all of this is done. :-)

If you google street-view it down 3rd, you are driving down with an unpainted packard place on the right, and a gravel lot to your left and up ahead.  Then you cross Mint, and BAM  Everything appears.  Its awesome.  

Yea, while I'm happy the white/beige got changed, Charlotte already has enough shades of blue between Avenue, Trademark, the Vue and DEC.  I'm still holding out for a green building.  Concourse, Two Ten Trade, and the previous 300 S Tryon fell through in the last round, it appears green was an unlucky color in uptown.

Edited by AuLukey

Yea, while I'm happy the white/beige got changed, Charlotte already has enough shades of blue between Avenue, Trademark, the Vue and DEC.  I'm still holding out for a green building.  Concourse, Two Ten Trade, and the previous 300 S Tryon fell through in the last round, it appears green was an unlucky color in uptown.

One of my favorite buildings uptown (skyline wise, not necessarily street level) is 1BOA. Love that emerald greenish blue glass. 

Not sure, but I have been on the cmstory.org trying to find out. Now I'm depressed, just look at all these wonderful postcards. South Tryon was once lined in victorian houses :'(

http://www.cmstory.org/taxonomy/term/29

Urban renewal makes me cry.  Just the postcard of the Square alone made me lose faith in previous generations of Charlotteans.  I never realized the extent of the trolley line before, would've saved the city so much money then and now if they had just left the tracks instead of tearing them up.

A bit more on topic, I wonder when or if the gated Federal Building parking lot along 4th will ever be used for something else.  It's a big vibrancy-suck to Third Ward and kind of divides the Mint from where Ascent is going up.  If they were to somehow replace it with a retail-based parking deck it would make the prospect of a boutique hotel on the ballpark grass strip more feasible.

Urban renewal makes me cry.  Just the postcard of the Square alone made me lose faith in previous generations of Charlotteans.  I never realized the extent of the trolley line before, would've saved the city so much money then and now if they had just left the tracks instead of tearing them up.

A bit more on topic, I wonder when or if the gated Federal Building parking lot along 4th will ever be used for something else.  It's a big vibrancy-suck to Third Ward and kind of divides the Mint from where Ascent is going up.  If they were to somehow replace it with a retail-based parking deck it would make the prospect of a boutique hotel on the ballpark grass strip more feasible.

I thought that too, but at the same time, I don't think the parking lot really does much one way or another. I would say the bigger issues are the parking lots behind the trademark and the Green's property lot...much bigger "sucks"

I thought I saw something on here a couple of years ago about once the new federal courthouse is built, that Queens University had plans to take over the old court house and turn it into a law school and other uses.  I'm sure there is someone much more in the know on this...

Did you guys see that big rusty metal thingy near the street?  In my pic above it's just left of the orange machine, partially obstructed by the tree.  I wondered what that thing was, and whether they dug it up from that lot?  Looks sort of like the canister from an old-timey pencil sharpener -- except 8-feet tall.

Boston%2BModel%2BKS%2BVacuum%2BTable%252

Did you guys see that big rusty metal thingy near the street?  In my pic above it's just left of the orange machine, partially obstructed by the tree.  I wondered what that thing was, and whether they dug it up from that lot?  Looks sort of like the canister from an old-timey pencil sharpener -- except 8-feet tall.

Yup they dug it up yesterday.  The corner at the intersection there was/is a concrete box where this was underground. The concrete box is still there now looks to be 20 feet deep.  This is what prompted my question yesterday about what was on this site before parking.

Anyone know what was on this site prior to it becoming a parking lot?

The latest Sanborn Fire Map I could find online was from 1911, and it shows a small wood-frame house on the lot (a big lot, too--nearly the exact site of the new tower.  Two lots north on Poplar, however, stood the Brannon-Hahn Bottling and Ice Cream Co.