Ascent Uptown - 33 stories (3rd and Poplar)

navigator319

21 hours ago, Nick2 said:

That screen is still a major disappointment but it's growing on me a little. It doesn't look quite as bad in that first picture. Maybe it's just the angle of the lighting or something. But it does kind of blend well with the building while being ugly on its own merit.

Agreed - it isn't the best in the world by all means, but I saw it first-hand last Friday and it really doesn't look that bad. If I weren't a UPer and obsessed with kind of stuff, it would have likely just been ignored. Not to say that a building *should* be ignored, but I didn't find it tacky of offensive in any way. Just another building.

4 minutes ago, ScottCLT said:

Agreed - it isn't the best in the world by all means, but I saw it first-hand last Friday and it really doesn't look that bad. If I weren't a UPer and obsessed with kind of stuff, it would have likely just been ignored. Not to say that a building *should* be ignored, but I didn't find it tacky of offensive in any way. Just another building.

I personally just don't like the way it looks coming down poplar towards the park. The deck itself is taller than some of the neighboring buildings. 

7 hours ago, nakers2 said:

I personally just don't like the way it looks coming down poplar towards the park. The deck itself is taller than some of the neighboring buildings. 

I noticed this yesterday too - are they going to do any coverage on the cutout of the parking garage that is adjacent to Packard? Looks to me like they assumed it would be hidden by Packard but it doesn't really cover it that well

I am still not the biggest fan of this mural, but I must say it looks slightly better in scale to the rest of the Ascent.  The close up pictures of the wall alone are a bit more overwhelming then the mural is in the context of the surrounding buildings.

Ascent.jpg

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Had they buried the parking and the entire above ground portion look like the top it would be great. 

If they would have had to bury the parking deck it would have never been built.  I would have been nice to at least wrap the deck with apartments on the park side though...

• Like 1