Ascent Uptown - 33 stories (3rd and Poplar)

navigator319

After spending the last hour looking at the designs and taking it all in, I think people are taking this project for granted already. There are a lot of really cool features on this building. Lots of curved lines that are subtle. The balconies in the middle make an S shape from one side of the building to the other and the balconies on the mint street side taper up to a point. It's a far more complex design than it appears when looking at it as a whole. There are subtle Art Deco curves that wrap all sides. I For one am very excited for this project. Plus two floors of retail, woohoo!

I cannot wait for 300 South Tryon, Woodfield at Graham, The Bearden, The Mint, the new Knights Hotel Tower, the redesign of 400 south Tryon parking deck, and the hotel at 300 South Tryon to further change this neighborhood. It'll be unrecognizable.

Oh I am with you, I could not be more excited for this project. Do you have any insight when we may see this area fenced off and construction beginning?

The directionals are so confusing.  The "NW" corner is at the corner of 3rd and Poplar?  The side between the "SW" and "SE" corners, thus apparently what they're calling the "South" side, is against Packard Place?  Is that right?

But all the naming conventions of uptown have Tryon, Church, Poplar, etc running north-south.  So this is exactly 90 degrees off.  Ugh.

Why can't they just name the corners N, S, E, and W -- like reality?  And if they can't use reality, why can't they use the same convention as every single other thing in uptown?

• Like 1

It looks stumpy, but don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I'm VERY excited about this project. If the quality of the exterior is high end, I don't care what shape it is.

Same here. I'm veryyyy excited. I was just commenting that it looks bigger than trademark

My favorite part of the new rental-oriented urban growth is that we now by the time we hear of a project, it is ready to go up, not just begin a 2-3y process of condo sales.   

It seems like this one is moving forward based on the comments that they are well funded/capitalized. 

Could the building look fatter because of.more elevators? TradeMark only has 2.

LLOL, I think most people missed this snark.   :lol:  

^ This looks slender to me. 

LOL, this is the wrong building, this is a different project. 

Let me break down the numbers for everyone.

Just for reference, the building is 147' x  109' at the parapet and base. 

Trademark at the base is 145' x 130' at the first step back, 145' x 206' at the midpoint , 145' x 103' at the second step back, and 145' x 75' at the skinnies portion. So look at the second step back on trademark and that will be the width of the building the entire way up.

Attached is a visual representation of the basic massing of the new building, as compared to trademark condos.

post-17104-0-48253200-1415295962_thumb.j

Edited by Guest

Trademark at the base is 145' x 130' at the first step back, 145' x 206' at the base , 145' x 103' at the second step back, and 145' x 75' at the skinnies portion. So look at the second step back on trademark and that will be the width of the building the entire way up.

Yeah sorry dubone, when RDF posted the original images I just meant it looked like it had similar features to what was on the architects site.  Like the balconies and the base.  That is definitely a few floors larger but IMO shared similar aesthetics.

• Like 1

Trademark at the base is 145' x 130' at the first step back, 145' x 206' at the base , 145' x 103' at the second step back, and 145' x 75' at the skinnies portion. So look at the second step back on trademark and that will be the width of the building the entire way up.

Attached is a visual representation of the basic massing of the new building, as compared to trademark condos.

attachicon.gifScreen-Shot-2014-11-06-at-12.42.59-PM.jpg

Nice thanks for the info! But not sure what all the fuss is about, this project is awesome!! Lets get dirt moving now please...

I still get the 2008 shivers.

Fair enough...

Well damn, I thought it was a match because of the similar balcony patterns and seemed to be the same height.   But ok.

Regardless,  It can look as short and skinny-fat as Element and I'd be happy.   I'd even be mildly happy if they used beige EIFS as the siding like half of SouthEnd and the other buildings uptown.   So this one exceeds my expectations.  

One thing I'm happy about is that they stacked the parking deck and didn't tear down anything to build it.   It is true density and fixes the trend of stick-built midrise that was starting to pop up around the BB&T Park.  

• Like 2

Just for reference, the building is 147' x 109' at the parapet and base.

Trademark at the base is 145' x 130' at the first step back, 145' x 206' at the midpoint , 145' x 103' at the second step back, and 145' x 75' at the skinnies portion.

Screen-Shot-2014-11-06-at-12.42.59-PM.jpg

So, Trademark goes from 130' to a whopping 206’, back to 103’, and then down to 75’? Maybe we should start calling this the bowling pin building?

I can't help but wonder if this building is the beginning of the end of our view for us Trademark residents. 

Since the renders last week been staring out my windows and balcony trying to picture this.  I have come to the conclusion for my particular view anyway (18 floor) it will be OK.  yes will loose the view of the upper half of the park AND the right part of Duke building.  That said will still see the left edge (I believe) of Duke and its lights and of course the top 40% of the building.

I am a bit concerned that we get the blank wall of this building instead of the nice materials that wrap the rest of the building, but the verdict is still out on what that will look like.

I think it will add to the view at the end of the day, make it more dynamic and dense.  Throw in 300 S Tryon, which there is nothing but positive too, and it will be pretty cool I think.

• 1 month later...