Ascent Uptown - 33 stories (3rd and Poplar)

navigator319

7 hours ago, JBS said:

IMO, this building looks pretty crappy up close (say, from the park).  However, from the west coming into the city, it looks great.  So, it could be worse...

The stupid podium parking deck is what annoys me the most. It looks excessive, and probably is, along with the fact it's not proportionate to the building whatsoever. 

Either they are waiting for spring to officially be here to add the greenery or its been yanked.

I'm sure that'd be a final finishing touch, not added mid construction when there is nobody staffed in the building to tend to its sustained life as a plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calling it now, this is the Justin Bieber of Uptown buildings. At first we hated it, but then, over time, we slowly came around and now it's a regular on our Spotify.

Is it too late to say sorry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, lewy2000 said:

Calling it now, this is the Justin Bieber of Uptown buildings. At first we hated it, but then, over time, we slowly came around and now it's a regular on our Spotify.

Honestly I am liking it more and more. It is fat as someone said, it lacks some design elements for sure but it is far better than the Element or Catalyst around the park. No offense but the Element looks like buildings I saw in the former Soviet Republic of Kazakhstan! 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Honestly I am liking it more and more. It is fat as someone said, it lacks some design elements for sure but it is far better than the Element or Catalyst around the park. No offense but the Element looks like buildings I saw in the former Soviet Republic of Kazakhstan! 

Respectfully disagree.  Despite the beige, I like Element and don't hate Catalyst.  This thing is worse, IMO.

1 hour ago, lewy2000 said:

Humorous and fitting, since I dislike both.  Bieber's fame is a total mystery to me.

One way to look at it is to pretend that the garage existed as a standalone structure and then they added the residential and retail.  Somehow that makes it easier for me to handle.  

Edited by JBS

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Love it or hate it this building is up and a part of the skyline. Today. First photo from Trade and Church light 

DSCN9974.JPG

DSCN9975.JPG

DSCN9976.JPG

The first picture is great because the garage is hidden.  It's like seeing an attractive woman sitting at a table and then realizing when she stands that she is rather large from the waist down (sorry if that offends anyone).

• Like 3

On 2/7/2017 at 2:11 PM, farewelltokings said:

The parking garage looks really bad at night. It's really bright and the light cuts through the mesh with no problem. Not a good look right next to the park. 

I agree with this 100%. The "screening" is questionable during the day, and you can't see it at all when it's dark. I hope that they will do something to improve the situation because it really does look bad.

On an unrelated note, I'm concerned that all of the navy blue is going to fade pretty fast. I know we complain about beige overuse, but there's a reason that natural materials/colors are used most of the time. 

You can check out the inside of the units in today's agenda. What beautiful vinyl cabinets and vinyl faux wood flooring for just $1,500 a month. What kind of counter tops are those? Quartz? It will be interesting to see how these materials hold up to a couple rounds of tenants. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/81404/look-inside-ascent-apartments-uptown/

Edited by CLT2014

42 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

FWIW, I think quartz is the best counter top you can get. Granite, unless you're going for something really unique, is way overrated.

I agree, the quartz would be the most high quality thing in there (appliances look nice too). I just couldn't tell from the photos if they were quartz or corian/ composite.

Floors def look like vinyl. Cabinets might be a higher quality than the photos make them look, but they look like a laminated / non hardwood cabinet in pics. 

Edited by CLT2014

Look OK to me.  It's a modern building so I think that is the look the are going for.  If it's a good laminate, I wouldn't mind those floors.  Hardwoods would be unlikely in an apartment, no?  I did like their guy bashing the beige competition.  Article should have obtained comment from them on the notorious garage.

12 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

You can check out the inside of the units in today's agenda. What beautiful vinyl cabinets and vinyl faux wood flooring for just $1,500 a month. What kind of counter tops are those? Quartz? It will be interesting to see how these materials hold up to a couple rounds of tenants. 

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/81404/look-inside-ascent-apartments-uptown/

The cabinets are Acrylic, which isn't cheap! Although they may not hold up well after multiple tenants - will be interesting to see. 

• 3 weeks later...

7 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

The further you are away from Ascent the better it looks. 

DSCN0223.JPG

DSCN0238.JPG

It does look better from those viewpoints! ...except the mural, lol.  It looks even more unfinished to me from a distance.

Edited by J-Rob
  • Like 1