Ascent Uptown - 33 stories (3rd and Poplar)

navigator319

Nice progress next door. Only a matter of time before that surface lot is gone. Hello new highest and best use!

Wish they would have built a larger building extension than they are doing, and capped the rest of the surface lot with the patio. Nobody is ever going to build on it. Why not cap it.

Wait what? Is that humor or something else? Cause when you say shipping container market, I think of BoxPark in London, UK: 

http://www.boxpark.co.uk

We've joked (only joked because we know its a pipe dream in CLT) about that lot to the left of Ink & Ivy (the structure under construction) being a container market

I don't know why that would be a pipe dream. I mean, that is some mighty cheap construction! lol...these developers...are always looking to go cheap. That is one way for sure.

Just curious, if someone did want to buy that lot, how would you go about that and how much do you think it would cost based on comparable lots sold?

I don't know why that would be a pipe dream. I mean, that is some mighty cheap construction! lol...these developers...are always looking to go cheap. That is one way for sure.

It's only cheap if you don't have to modify the container.  Add insulation, windows, some doors, connect one or two together, etc... it becomes expensive construction real quick. 

That's not to say it's not a concept that is without merits.  For one they can provide a low floor height for a mobile retail incubator concept.  But an incubator requires more than just providing subsidized space; mentorship, planning, and education services are also needed. Also a plan on how to deal with the property being sold needs to be in place.   

Just curious, if someone did want to buy that lot, how would you go about that and how much do you think it would cost based on comparable lots sold?

It last sold for $850,000 in 2010, you could probably pick it up for 1.25 million right now.  Based solely on the Ascent per acre price it's only worth ~700,000 however.  The problem with the site is it doesn't lend itself to many uses.  The property would probably be limited to one retail space on ground level, require an automated parking solution (robotic parking, or a car elevator), and would have few (maybe two or three) units per floor (either small offices or residential).  If a deal could be reached with Packard Place involving its "patio" then a lot more options open up.  

Edited by DEnd

It's only cheap if you don't have to modify the container.  Add insulation, windows, some doors, connect one or two together, etc... it becomes expensive construction real quick. 

That's not to say it's not a concept that is without merits.  For one they can provide a low floor height for a mobile retail incubator concept.  But an incubator requires more than just providing subsidized space; mentorship, planning, and education services are also needed. Also a plan on how to deal with the property being sold needs to be in place.   

It last sold for $850,000 in 2010, you could probably pick it up for 1.25 million right now.  Based solely on the Ascent per acre price it's only worth ~700,000 however.  The problem with the site is it doesn't lend itself to many uses.  The property would probably be limited to one retail space on ground level, require an automated parking solution (robotic parking, or a car elevator), and would have few (maybe two or three) units per floor (either small offices or residential).  If a deal could be reached with Packard Place involving its "patio" then a lot more options open up.  

I still think this is an ideal location for a permanent Portland-style food cart pod, maybe sponsored in some way like the 7th Street Public Market.  We are reaching a critical mass of residents and office worker to support this type of outdoor food court if you will at least during weekday and Saturday lunch hours and other times when events are going on in and around Third Ward.  I agree there are few uses for the property that wouldn't be prohibitively expensive.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...