Ascent Uptown - 33 stories (3rd and Poplar)

navigator319

On 2/29/2016 at 6:58 PM, dcharlotte said:

That parking deck is MASSIVE. 

The whole thing is massive, especially if you're standing in the park.  The empty lot seemed so little.

And the concrete work is amazing....all the little curves and notches and waves and whatnot.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, go_vertical said:

If the cladding/coverings on that garage gets value engineered there will be a lot of pissed off people.

I have high hopes still. I feel like if they were going to value engineer anything out, it'd be the curves and lines, and they clearly haven't done that.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, mpretori said:

Wow, I just saw the rendering and it's sick!!

Ascent-Charlotte.jpg

This building makes me think about the Jetsons. Theres a lot of 1950s futurism to it. Thanks for sharing it again, gives people a reminder of the cool curves that it has.

12 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

They should turn that parking lot into a large pop up store for the small businesses they work with for like a month or so. 

Jayvee and I both have talked to the owners about this, lol. They are very against it. I have an article about this in the queue coming up soon.

On 2/9/2016 at 0:02 PM, GeauxCLT said:

Ouch -the panther's pep rally really did a number into the lawn or romare bearden. Glad we had a park to host that type event though. 

FWIW, the grass at that end of the park wasn't great before the pep-rally. The park hasn't handled the wear and tear of winter weather very well. It also has some weird drainage problems

23 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Jayvee and I both have talked to the owners about this, lol. They are very against it. I have an article about this in the queue coming up soon.

This just doesn't make any sense to me. Why would they be against a market?

Honestly it's a very simple answer and very simple reason why they won't. Because it would require Preferred Parking to do something creative and thoughtful. And it would require them to put some effort into something and get rid of parking spaces. And mostly because it would do something that would actually positively impact the city in which they make so much money from. 

5 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Honestly it's a very simple answer and very simple reason why they won't. Because it would require Preferred Parking to do something creative and thoughtful. And it would require them to put some effort into something and get rid of parking spaces. And mostly because it would do something that would actually positively impact the city in which they make so much money from. 

Perhaps they have some sort of long-term lease agreement with a business. I'm not sure about that area of downtown, but our building in 3rd ward requires so much blacktop in order to lease out to office users. I hate that ordinance/law. Half the time our lot stays vacant but we have to guarantee spaces.

Preferred Parking is a business. Money talks. They're making what... like $5k a month off that parking lot. Monthly parking in that lot is $175 and there are about 30 spots. Does the economic of a pop up market not generate enough to pay the parking company $5k to justify them kicking their monthly parking tenants out? 

9 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Preferred Parking is a business. Money talks. They're making what... like $5k a month off that parking lot. Monthly parking in that lot is $175 and there are about 30 spots. Does the economic of a pop up market not generate enough to pay the parking company $5k to justify them kicking their monthly parking tenants out? 

Honestly, they could probably charge $3-10k per space a month for shipping container retail spaces. Lets say you could fit 15 spaces. That'd be 30-150k a month in revenue. I told them this, they didn't care. I even got pricing from Boxman Studios for rental, still made a super healthy profit.

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Honestly, they could probably charge $3-10k per space a month for shipping container retail spaces. Lets say you could fit 15 spaces. That'd be 30-150k a month in revenue. I told them this, they didn't care. I even got pricing from Boxman Studios for rental, still made a super healthy profit.

Guess money doesn't talk to Preferred Parking! WOW

20 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Why would a parking business take a real estate risk? I get why they won't do it - nobody in their business knows how to manage or operate something like this. Annoying for the city, but predictable.