Jump to content

navigator319

Ascent Uptown - 33 stories (3rd and Poplar)

Recommended Posts

Guest
On 5/14/2017 at 0:06 AM, uptownliving said:

Anyone notice the banner they put up? #uptownstunner    Lol

IMG_2242.JPG

I'm enjoying trolling them on twitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I keep hoping they put small 1"x1" glass tiles on those concrete columns....would really finish it off.  I like the dark moody street profile here, and think once the plants start overtaking the concrete boxes it's going to be really cool....I think more Seattle than Miami.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

I keep hoping they put small 1"x1" glass tiles on those concrete columns....would really finish it off.  I like the dark moody street profile here, and think once the plants start overtaking the concrete boxes it's going to be really cool....I think more Seattle than Miami.

It would be wonderful to look into one of those pretty windows and see a nice, chic boutique or retail other than a restaurant. I think more London, i.e. Selfridges or Marks and Spencer's (much smaller scale) for the future. 

Edited by caterpillar2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

Well, in their defense, it does beat the original choices.  To wit:

 

 

IHS.png

SCS.png

Wonder if this was their inspiration?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, birky said:

Thanks. I now have a subtitle for my forthcoming coffee table book, "The Parking Decks of Charlotte: Uptown Stunners"

Can I preorder a copy? Here is the TRUE UPTOWN STUNNER today. 

DSCN2055.JPG

DSCN2056.JPG

DSCN2059.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The plants don't help.  The developer needs to take down the parking deck scrim, paint the deck walls black so they recede, and reinstall the scrim.  A couple gallons of paint would make this project look much better.  It would make this building an #uptownstunner

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm predicting that the screening will take on a whole new texture as the many multiple nooks and crannies between the concrete and the screening become ideal homes to nesting birds and all the s**t that they generate. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The plants don't help.  The developer needs to take down the parking deck scrim, paint the deck walls black so they recede, and reinstall the scrim.  A couple gallons of paint would make this project look much better.  It would make this building an #uptownstunner

 

 

I think this is a great idea! Not that it will ever happen. They could even carry the mural over and have varying shades of black/blue/grey and it would clean up the deck significantly. It's a shame the renderings didn't really represent how translucent the screening would actually turn out. Maybe then somebody would've had the foresight. Oh well, in the end it turned out to be a pretty cool building. Although I will admit I was walking through Bearden with a friend a week or so ago and he, unprompted, commented on how nice the building looks but also how hideous the deck is. The mural was met with mixed review.

 

I just wish the mural could've had a bit more pizazz, like this one I ran across outside of Miami last week. I mean, they were clearly going for faux-Miami with this project anyway.IMG_4333.thumb.JPG.6bc205fe836bdb6e7411cf8d3e08f6be.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AuLukey said:

 

I think this is a great idea! Not that it will ever happen. They could even carry the mural over and have varying shades of black/blue/grey and it would clean up the deck significantly. It's a shame the renderings didn't really represent how translucent the screening would actually turn out. Maybe then somebody would've had the foresight. Oh well, in the end it turned out to be a pretty cool building. Although I will admit I was walking through Bearden with a friend a week or so ago and he, unprompted, commented on how nice the building looks but also how hideous the deck is. The mural was met with mixed review.

 

I just wish the mural could've had a bit more pizazz, like this one I ran across outside of Miami last week. I mean, they were clearly going for faux-Miami with this project anyway.IMG_4333.thumb.JPG.6bc205fe836bdb6e7411cf8d3e08f6be.JPG

Yep, this would blend right in. We could steal some palm trees from Lake Norman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the city government have no authority over what kind of mural can be put up? Or like, a neighborhood association or something? The developer can do anything they want?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tarwater said:

Does the city government have no authority over what kind of mural can be put up? Or like, a neighborhood association or something? The developer can do anything they want?

More or less. The city cannot (and imo should not) regulate aesthetics like that.

Just remember, murals can be repainted. That disappointment is easy to fix.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

More or less. The city cannot (and imo should not) regulate aesthetics like that.

Just remember, murals can be repainted. That disappointment is easy to fix.

I certainly sympathize with not having the city involved in choosing "art" but disagree on aesthetics. Charlotte seems to lack any design review process and to me anything at all should be game for review wrt to whether it "fits" in the neighborhood. What if they wanted neon pink walls on all sides on this building? Does that fit the character of the neighborhood? I suppose you could argue that in this area of the city there is no character. But in 4th ward, for example, murals on buildings and even the color on houses should be controllable right?

We're doing fine on getting new buildings built but I would argue the quality and design are wholly inconsistent and we will regret this later. It would be fine to turn down some developments. Such as apartment buildings with huge parking podiums or stick built junk in uptown. Both of which have taken up valuable land near BB&T. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By state law cities can not have a design review board for aesthetics, thanks to our current legislature.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Finkle said:

By state law cities can not have a design review board for aesthetics, thanks to our current legislature.

That's just super. There is no creative way around that though? Seems to me they could slow track anything they don't like. wink wink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not worried about it as yall are assuming nothing will ever be built next door I think something will in a few years. The one thing I like about Ascent is the height and and what a small lot this was built on. As the block is developed around it the mural side will disappear. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I am not worried about it as yall are assuming nothing will ever be built next door I think something will in a few years. The one thing I like about Ascent is the height and and what a small lot this was built on. As the block is developed around it the mural side will disappear. 

I was really mostly complaining about allowing the huge & ugly podium than the mural itself. but yeah...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

I was really mostly complaining about allowing the huge & ugly podium than the mural itself. but yeah...

Well I agree about the podium. Look at the Avenue tower many don't even realize there is 10 floors of parking under the actual condos they masked it well. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.