Ascent Uptown - 33 stories (3rd and Poplar)

navigator319

38 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

Glad to see they followed through with the greenery. I think once that fills in, which looks like it might happen fast, a lot of people's opinions on this building will soften.

"The physician can bury his mistakes, but the architect can only advise his client to plant vines." - the notorious FLW

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Seabrooke said:

I spoke with the managers about vines at the photo contest, there will be hanging vines but to do it properly they take 2 years to train so it'll be a little while before you see them 

I wonder whether they are using flowering types like confederate jasmine, trumpet creeper, or carolina jessamine.  Done right, that could look really attractive.  

• Like 1

On 5/18/2017 at 11:51 AM, Finkle said:

By state law cities can not have a design review board for aesthetics, thanks to our current legislature.

The laws that were passed only apply to single family uses. High density and mixed uses can still be regulated.

On 5/18/2017 at 0:48 PM, tozmervo said:

How do you distinguish between art and aesthetics? who do you trust to make that decision for you? I might like a little neon pink in the city for some color, lord knows we complain about beige enough. maybe we should have banned all those tacky flashing led lights going up on all the buildings in uptown. 

In any event, you picked one of the areas in Charlotte protected by a historic overlay district. http://charlottenc.gov/planning/HistoricDistricts/Pages/Home.aspx

Ascent is not located in a historic district.

The city does regulate signage on tall buildings, which is partially why we have the skyline that we do. I personally didn't care for all the lights at first, but now that every building in Charlotte has them, I think it's cool. It's one of the things that I think makes us unique (not that buildings have programmable LED lights, but that basically every one in our skyline has them).

On 5/18/2017 at 11:35 AM, elrodvt said:

I certainly sympathize with not having the city involved in choosing "art" but disagree on aesthetics. Charlotte seems to lack any design review process and to me anything at all should be game for review wrt to whether it "fits" in the neighborhood. What if they wanted neon pink walls on all sides on this building? Does that fit the character of the neighborhood? I suppose you could argue that in this area of the city there is no character. But in 4th ward, for example, murals on buildings and even the color on houses should be controllable right?

We're doing fine on getting new buildings built but I would argue the quality and design are wholly inconsistent and we will regret this later. It would be fine to turn down some developments. Such as apartment buildings with huge parking podiums or stick built junk in uptown. Both of which have taken up valuable land near BB&T. 

Housing color is not regulated by historic districts or any other mechanism.

The large blank walls are being left that way to allow for future development to cover it up. Think of it as long-term temporary.

IMO, the City should say "no" more often, but I think the UDO process will help address some of the loopholes (like podium apartments) that we keep seeing around town.

On 5/31/2017 at 9:07 PM, norm21499 said:

I just checked out the winning photo and I don't think it was really photoshopped. Basically, the person took a longer exposure photo, and during the exposure, they quickly zoomed in on the photo to get that effect with the lights. I have done the same thing with fireworks. I never post my pics on here for fear that someone will steal them.....

It's not photoshopped, but it is cropped. Anyone with a DSLR camera can do this quite easily. It's actually not that impressive from a technical standpoint if you know how it works, but the shot was well composed so you have to give him credit for that. I liked the one the UP'er submitted too though.

• Like 1

I like the parking deck. Especially when it gets the greenery maturing, I think it will actually look really god. Especially against the park. I think this building is very unique in the Charlotte skyline and it makes it rather pleasing to me.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, alb1no panther said:

Maybe this has been commented on way back in this thread.  But does anyone know what the greenery is supposed to look like once matured?  Are we talking full on Hanging Gardens of Babylon or Snoopy Christmas tree?

I think it is supposed to look like Hanging gardens but right now it is more Charlie Brown's Christmas tree 

• Like 4

Biz Journal story about the Ascent and maybe this tower is like what was once said about Eiffel tower you dont want to see it but be in it. Anyway those views are awesome. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/06/28/a-look-inside-uptown-charlottes-newest-luxury.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=scroll&ed=2017-06-28&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1498678478&j=78463061

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...