Ascent Uptown - 33 stories (3rd and Poplar)

navigator319

• 6 months later...

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

At what point (if any) is this also a failure of Charlotte’s standards or codes or whatever? 

I realize Greystar has a reputation; however, if the building has strong leases & is performing, why paint the entire building or add foliage to the deck unless required by Lender? 

I don’t say that as rhetorical, but to some of you who have experience or deep knowledge with charlottes local zoning, etc? People are quick to slam design reviews but maybe this is an example of the importance of those seemingly pesky review boards or you know. Building “cheap” (if it was but that parking deck…) is never cheaper in the long run. And what if the stuff in SouthEnd all start to look like this in 5-7 years? 

I’m really asking  just because I’m interested from knowledgeable people whereas I know next to nothing about this topic particularly with Charlotte 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

At what point (if any) is this also a failure of Charlotte’s standards or codes or whatever? 

I realize Greystar has a reputation; however, if the building has strong leases & is performing, why paint the entire building or add foliage to the deck unless required by Lender? 

I don’t say that as rhetorical, but to some of you who have experience or deep knowledge with charlottes local zoning, etc? People are quick to slam design reviews but maybe this is an example of the importance of those seemingly pesky review boards or you know. Building “cheap” (if it was but that parking deck…) is never cheaper in the long run. And what if the stuff in SouthEnd all start to look like this in 5-7 years? 

I’m really asking  just because I’m interested from knowledgeable people whereas I know next to nothing about this topic particularly with Charlotte 

Valid question.  I’ve read somewhere that Austin has a design review process, although I’m not sure of its scope.  Charlotte appears to informally weigh in on design during rezonings.  I suppose one should clarify / define “design” as well.  I’m not referring to siting or connectivity to pedestrian pathways.  I’m speaking of building materials used, and various exterior and structural accoutrements visible to onlookers.

• Like 2

Ther was an active discussion here on a thread about the apartments that abut the Stonewall station at the light rail station level where a resident planted peas which climbed her balcony and did what pea vines do. It was glorious. Cannot find it with limited search here at this moment. It brought life to the concrete station environment.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

Ther was an active discussion here on a thread about the apartments that abut the Stonewall station at the light rail station level where a resident planted peas which climbed her balcony and did what pea vines do. It was glorious. Cannot find it with limited search here at this moment. It brought life to the concrete station environment.

Yes I remember those and she or he must have moved because I have not seen those vines recently in walking by there. 

• Like 3