Orlando vs. Tampa Discussion

sunshine

Just to make a density and empty lot comparison, I made these two map links at the same zoom level using Bing bird's eye view:

Tampa:

http://binged.it/10n5uZq

Orlando:

http://binged.it/10n5Teu

Here are the google versions, but the Bing imagery is a bit easier to look at:

Tampa:

https://goo.gl/maps/I5qWh

Orlando:

https://goo.gl/maps/LMrnP

Really no comparison. Downtown Orlando is noticeably more developed even if you pan around the immediate area.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The failure of Greenlight Pinellas and the earlier Hillsborough transit referendum point out why I was so dumbstruck that anyone would think Tampa was making better progress than we are.

Just last night, yet another countywide office (Court Clerk) switched to the Democrats (I believe we may have also picked up a commission seat but I'm still verifying that). Once Teresa is term-limited out, I imagine it's going to be difficult to elect another Republican as county mayor, unless he/she manages to present some seriously progressive bona fides (School board chair Bill Sublette might fill the bill - we'll see).

Since the failure of Orlando Mayor Glenda Hood to persuade OC Mayor Mel Martinez to push light rail through in the 1990's (had Linda Chapin not been term-limited at just the wrong time, I suspect the results would have been different), things have changed in cooperation between the various governments. The success in uniting to bring the FAMU law school to Orlando, followed by (Sanford) Burnham to Lake Nona and then SunRail along seems to have cemented the idea that, although the Rosalind Gang may kick and scream the whole way, the city and county can actually work together on big projects. Jake Stuart over at the Chamber and his constant efforts to promote regional cooperation has also helped. Seminole, Osceola and Volusia have also been more willing to work together (Lake County remains a conspicuous exception).

While Tampa and Mayor Bob Buckhorn have done a lot of great things, Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties are still far from united on just about anything. If you wonder how progressive Hillsborough is, just pass by the gigantic Confederate flag along I4. While St. Pete has made some solid strides since they switched to a strong mayor form of government, Pinellas still has to deal with a couple of dozen municipalities and yet another county government, and it's still all too normal for the folks living on one side of the bay to despise the folks on the other. Also remember that St. Pete isn't even the county seat, and Clearwater is still at war with itself over the Scientologists.

Until "Tampa Bay" finally unites, Orlando is going to be a step ahead as a metro area for many years to come. Demographically, we're growing faster and we're not as cursed by "get off my yard!" retirees in our MSA (at least as long as Lake continues to go its own way and not slow down our progress).

Just last night, yet another countywide office (Court Clerk) switched to the Democrats (I believe we may have also picked up a commission seat but I'm still verifying that). Once Teresa is term-limited out, I imagine it's going to be difficult to elect another Republican as county mayor, unless he/she manages to present some seriously progressive bona fides (School board chair Bill Sublette might fill the bill - we'll see).

There were two races on the OC commission and they stayed within the same party. A Siplin replaced Tiffany Moore Russell and Brummer was replaced by Nelson. 

I wish the office of the Clerk was an appointed position. The new Clerk won because she has name recognition and is a democrat. The same with the old clerks. All of those charter races seem pointless to me. 

Actually I agree. If the county mayor ever wants to have the same influence as Orlando's mayor, they need to consolidate all the executive positions (although the comptroller position helps keep everyone honest - heaven knows Buddy could stand someone like that over at city hall to raise red flags on some of his financial sleight of hand tricks).

Speaking of the comptroller, Martha Haynie is one of the few Republicans I have been happy to vote for consistently - she's been an incredible asset to OC.

Meanwhile, the Republicans need to have the courage to stand behind their brand - knowing which party someone is from is helpful in making a decision. I said the same thing about the Democrats years ago when the shoe was on the other foot.

• 1 month later...

Nice article on upcoming developments in the Tampa / St Pete region.

Interesting to note though, is Tampa's struggle to bring a grocery store downtown:

"5. Tampa's downtown grocery store

So when is downtown Tampa going to get a really big grocery store? It is a question with an elusive answer. Developers, both public and private, are trying. They just can't reel in a big fish like a Walmart Neighborhood Market, Aldi's or Publix.

Chain grocers with slim profit margins say they don't yet see the critical mass of residents in downtown to make the numbers work -- just yet. 

Tampa Housing Authority officials say they were snubbed three times by grocers who walked away from deals to build a grocery store at ENCORE! Tampa, the multimillion dollar village center under construction between Nebraska Avenue and Interstate 4. ENCORE’s urban design is suited for a parking garage but national chains are of a more suburban mind-set. They still think a large surface parking lot better suits customers and their bottom lines."

http://www.83degreesmedia.com/features/Tampa121614.aspx

In contrast, it appears that Orlando will likely get it's second grocer at Lucerne Pavilion given the huge success of the Thornton Park Publix.

Archived