Other GA Cities Projects Thread

ironchapman

This thread is for anyone who has information on what's going on in GA's other cities outside the Core Atlanta Metro.

Savannah, Columbus, Macon-Warner Robins, Augusta, Athens, Rome, Dalton, Albany, Valdosta, and Brunswick are the cities I had in mind for this thread. Any city's projects are welcome, though.

My only request is that you please specify what city it is in.

EDIT: Columbus now has it's own projects list: See here

Edited by ironchapman

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what happened to the $520 mil big development in Savannah?

I'll have to go check its thread.

P.S. Spartan, I edited my post at the beginning of this thread to suit any GA city.

Edited by ironchapman

Rome is in the process of planning a mixed-use are near its historic downtown, moving a football field and tennis center out near the Rome Braves baseball stadium. Also, there are plans for a few different projects planned for a strip of highway 411 right next to the by-pass intersection.

http://www.hometownheadlines.com for more information. A great site by the way!

Nothing along the lines of anything with any heigth is going on in Augusta but the areas retail is booming. A new huge Lifestyle Center was just announced for the area along RiverWatch Parkway and Interstate 20 just the other day. The Newspaper said if built it would be larger than any other shopping center/Mall in the Augusta area...Wow!

Then there is the suburb of Evans and a smaller scale Lifestyle Center with offices/homes/condos and hotel. They announced the project a while ago and still no dirt turned but they are still advertising it in Columbia County Magazine so I guess it is still a go. If I know Augusta correctly it will get built but may take several years...slow. Evans also has about 7-8 other shopping centers underway now too including a large new Super Target and Kohls and numerous smaller ones....a few years from now it will be Gwinnett county all over again...yuk!

Of course the Hammonds Ferry Project which is under construction right across the Savannah River in North Augusta...a fantastic project with midrise offices.residences and retail. Oops..but that is in S. Carolina, still considered Augusta though.The Judicial Center, with possibly 20 floors is still being planned and may take a while to get built.

Several Midrises are going up in the Medical District, one of which is going to be a Cancer research center at MSG. I also learned this weekend that MCG and University Hospital are both planning major expansions. Not sure when, where or what though. I know MCG just bought land across 15th street though. A narrow stip of land (hope they go vertical on whatever they build there.

Sorry for triple posting but I was misinformed about the property across 15th street from MCG. It is up for sale but MCG has not purchased it, although they have purchsed some other property nearby, as has Paine College a few blocks away. MCG wants to continue development east of the College before it develops across 15th...

For the record, Macon's going nuts with highway projects.

A spaghetti-junction like interchange is on the way for the I-75/I-16 interchange. The I-475/I-75 (south-end) interchange is going to face reworking. Planners are considering changing it to a complete interchange (allowing you to go from 475 south to 75 north and from 75 south to 475 north). There's also plans for a Jones County Connector. I-75 in south Macon will probably be widened again (and it's already 6 lanes wide).

Anybody else think DOT is getting a little highway happy in Mactown?

athens is finishing up its new nine story hotel, and there's somewhere around 5 more tall(4+ stories) buildings going up in the downtown. The multi-modal station is also coming along nicely. All it will need after its done is the train to atlanta.

That hotel (on Washington & Thomas?) -if we are talking about the same thing- looks really great. I was thoroughly impressed with it. Though it was all skeleton.... Downtown Athens is a great place in general. I hope to go back one day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the spot, It's a new Hitlon Garden Inn. There is also a website up for one of the new condos going up that was mentioned above, www.georgia-traditions.com, looks overpriced but maybe they'll find some rich alumni dying to have a spot for gamedays.

wow. thanks for the link. i was wondering what was going there... they said it'd be 9 or 10 stories though, but in the picture it only looks like 7... either way, it's still neat looking. i don't care if football sucks, as long as it brings more high-rises... unfortunately they can't build much bigger. athens has a 100 foot height cap.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I gathered reading today's Chronicle, it's not the Judicial center that was voted down, but just the funding source (increased property taxes). It appears that the city thinks the thing is needed, and they are either going to convince voters to fund it differently, or just issue a court order to have it built (which I don't quite understand). Needless to say, what we have on our hands right now is more waiting...

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/06230...t_4479806.shtml

Edited by Topher1

• 2 weeks later...

Willacoochee is not a major city, and this may not be a major project, but to the Citizens of Willacoochee it is important.

There are two major projects:

The renovation of the Senior Citizen Building

The New Multi-Purpose Building

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The renovation of the Senior Citizen Building: Status- Complete

The New Multi-Purpose Building: Status-Underconstruction

Repaving of many city streets: Status-Underway

~Me personally: I am working on getting a traffic light for our city, at the intersection of US Highway 82 and GA Highway `135 South. If any of you have any tips on helping me accomplish this, please give them to me.~

THANKS

That is hard to say. It depends on who controls the lights- its probably Atkinson County in your case. Usually they do studys to determine the traffic's volume, and peak times, and some others that I am not sure of. They base the necessity on that. Just because you think they need one doesn't mean the numbers will reflect that. I think it will be hard to get them to do anything to slow the traffic on 82 down. That is a pretty major route through South Georgia. But on the other hand, you pointing it out may make them aware of a problem they didn't know about. If you decide you definately want to take that task on you should research the process some more and make a good (and knowledgable) case for it.

That is hard to say. It depends on who controls the lights- its probably Atkinson County in your case. Usually they do studys to determine the traffic's volume, and peak times, and some others that I am not sure of. They base the necessity on that. Just because you think they need one doesn't mean the numbers will reflect that. I think it will be hard to get them to do anything to slow the traffic on 82 down. That is a pretty major route through South Georgia. But on the other hand, you pointing it out may make them aware of a problem they didn't know about. If you decide you definately want to take that task on you should research the process some more and make a good (and knowledgable) case for it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spartan, Thanks for the advice! I have talked to our regional DOT district office in Tifton and they have studied it and there is a good possibility that we will be getting a traffic light. Due to mostly because we have had so many wrecks and the traffic volume has picked up tremendously, due to the Industrial Park. Tifton, Pearson, and Waycross all have traffic lights on US Highway 82. I, also, have talked with the city and they have put in an application for a traffic light.

Thanks Again

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing along the lines of anything with any heigth is going on in Augusta but the areas retail is booming.  A new huge Lifestyle Center was just announced  for the area along RiverWatch Parkway and Interstate 20 just the other day.  The Newspaper said if built it would be larger than any other shopping center/Mall in the Augusta area...Wow!

Then there is the suburb of Evans and a smaller scale Lifestyle Center with offices/homes/condos and hotel.  They announced the project a while ago and still no dirt turned but they are still advertising it in Columbia County Magazine so I guess it is still a go.  If I know Augusta correctly it will get built but may take several years...slow.  Evans also has about 7-8 other shopping centers underway now too including a large new Super Target and Kohls and numerous smaller ones....a few years from now it will be Gwinnett county all over again...yuk!

Of course the Hammonds Ferry Project which is under construction right across the Savannah River in North Augusta...a fantastic project with midrise offices.residences and retail.  Oops..but that is in S. Carolina, still considered Augusta though.The Judicial Center, with possibly 20 floors is still being planned and may take a while to get built.

Several Midrises are going up in the Medical District,  one of which is going to be a Cancer research center at MSG.  I also learned this weekend that MCG and University Hospital are both planning major expansions.  Not sure when, where or what though.  I know MCG just bought land across 15th street though.  A narrow stip of land (hope they go vertical on whatever they build there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok now I am quoting myself..lol

I had read that MCG in Augusta was awarded something like 60 million dollars for a new School of Medicine. I was talking with one of the Oral surgeons there the other day and he said the pricetag for the new building would be well over 100 million and the college still had to come up with the rest of the money...so it should be a while before that starts taking shape. It will be in the area behind the dorms from 15th street. Should be an impressive building but that is far off into the future. I was driving down Laney Walker Boulevard near MCG and it has SO much potential. With the two new midrises at Laney and RA Dent coming along it has kind of an urban feel to it. Wish that "Armstrong Galleria" thing they built several years ago would have been more than just a little strip-mall.