One Fulton Square (at Carlton)

GRDadof3

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

The two houses and the empty lot across the street sold, and fast (11 days on the market). All three combined were listed at $299,700 for about 1/5th of an acre.

16801165171_a491f27f97_o.jpg

Wonder if Family Fare is going to do the gas station here instead?

• 1 month later...

City engineering is looking at preliminary plans, site concepts, parking, etc for this coming up on the 20th. Seems to be a lot more of what Eastown (and Gilmore actually) was looking for for this site. 

Main building is 4 floors, with upstairs apartments. 57 units of apartments total. 

17320619068_7c2a55743c_o.jpg

17320821170_f080e5def2_o.jpg

I feel bad for the renter in the one bedroom apartment behind the 1350sf retail space.  They'll be right by the dumpsters for the restaurant and retails spaces.  They should just increase that retail space to go from front to back.

City engineering is looking at preliminary plans, site concepts, parking, etc for this coming up on the 20th. Seems to be a lot more of what Eastown (and Gilmore actually) was looking for for this site. 

Main building is 4 floors, with upstairs apartments. 57 units of apartments total. 

17320619068_7c2a55743c_o.jpg

17320821170_f080e5def2_o.jpg

"Gee, I wish I had a generic, ugly gas station instead of this." -- Nobody. Ever.

I just hope that some dope that lives nearby doesn't work to get this scrapped because of some nonsense about it being too tall or that it will "increase traffic and noise".

You just know that there will be one that will try. People of Eastown need to embrace this unless they want something along the lines of that gas station idea to come back again. This is just too good of a development to screw up because people take seriously the cliches from NIMBY concern trolls.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

HUGE improvement. Those actually look like proper buildings now. The previous renderings looked like they budgeted for smaller buildings, but decided to add on a bunch of floors. I hope the detailing ends up looking as good as in these renderings.

HUGE improvement. Those actually look like proper buildings now. The previous renderings looked like they budgeted for smaller buildings, but decided to add on a bunch of floors. I hope the detailing ends up looking as good as in these renderings.

I agree.  Very nicely done compared to a lot of prior proposals.  It makes me really happy to see architects finally learning how to design traditional buildings that someone won't want to pull down in 20 years because they've become outdated.  So kudos to Concept Design for finally coming up with something that looks sophisticated instead of amateurish.  It would be really nice to see some additional cast-stone ornamentation on the corner building and a stronger cornice to emphasize a Craftsman-style aesthetic even more, but I suppose I shouldn't push my luck. 

With a decent design, the real key will be keeping Orion from value-engineering it, replacing all the brick and cast stone with fiber cement and concrete blocks, running dozens of vents through the sidewalls, and slapping in the wrong color windows.  Not that they would ever jeopardize their integrity by cheapening it up after they sell the project to neighbors with good-looking renderings, of course...

I agree.  Very nicely done compared to a lot of prior proposals.  It makes me really happy to see architects finally learning how to design traditional buildings that someone won't want to pull down in 20 years because they've become outdated.  So kudos to Concept Design for finally coming up with something that looks sophisticated instead of amateurish.  It would be really nice to see some additional cast-stone ornamentation on the corner building and a stronger cornice to emphasize a Craftsman-style aesthetic even more, but I suppose I shouldn't push my luck. 

With a decent design, the real key will be keeping Orion from value-engineering it, replacing all the brick and cast stone with fiber cement and concrete blocks, running dozens of vents through the sidewalls, and slapping in the wrong color windows.  Not that they would ever jeopardize their integrity by cheapening it up after they sell the project to neighbors with good-looking renderings, of course...

If you're talking about the roofline of the corner building, I agree. It could use a stronger "cap" on it. The wall just seems to disappear into space, like a modern facade would (except on a traditional brick facade). 

Other than that, looks like a perfect fit for that corner. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
20 hours ago, ctpgr34 said:

It's almost comical that in the year 2015 a gas station was considered for this property.

While I'm not a big fan of ConceptDesign, I have to give them credit for listening to criticism about the original design for this project.  Maybe they can do the same with Warner Tower? 

Archived