• Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WMrapids said:

Bricks are partially up on the larger building. Why couldn't something like this be put up a few blocks over on Michigan?  :(

I assume this is still the plan? And that balconies are yet to come. It's not a bad looking project, you're right. 

17320619068_7c2a55743c_o.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 1/1/2017 at 10:03 AM, GRDadof3 said:

Hooray for balconays! 

31186316484_6cd50ed012_b.jpg

Ewww...  Not that I didn't see them coming, but still, eww.  I always wish they would be half classy and recess these things into the building, but they never do.  Instead they look like a half dozen fire escapes missing the stairs.  

4 hours ago, x99 said:

Ewww...  Not that I didn't see them coming, but still, eww.  I always wish they would be half classy and recess these things into the building, but they never do.  Instead they look like a half dozen fire escapes missing the stairs.  

Still better than anything new on Michigan Street...

8 hours ago, x99 said:

I rather like that look, myself.  Recessing all the balconies gives too much depth to the walls and makes it feel not so cohesive, whereas a hanging balcony allows the wall to be a wall.  Make the balcony in a style like the fire escape style seen here, and perfection is achieved as it does not distract from the wall... a concrete outcropping would be just as harmful to the aesthetic of the wall as recessed balconies would.

I like when the balconies are slightly recessed vs either all the way recessed or sticking out on the wall. From the user's perspective, the completely recessed ones make the room just inside the balcony darker. Whereas the ones attached to the wall can give you vertigo. 

But I think these are just fine. Better than no balconies at all. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

4 months ago they cut the ribbon on this building and announced that Stefan Nava and Brian Lafranboise would be opening a restaurant here.

http://woodtv.com/2017/04/18/fulton-square-brings-new-restaurant-to-gr/

There seems to be no progress and when walking by the space, both ground level retails areas have "For Lease" signs on them.

Looks like they possibly backed out.  Many of the units in this complex are rented. I would love to see some progress to add a bit more life to that mini business district.

2 hours ago, EastownLeo said:

4 months ago they cut the ribbon on this building and announced that Stefan Nava and Brian Lafranboise would be opening a restaurant here.

http://woodtv.com/2017/04/18/fulton-square-brings-new-restaurant-to-gr/

There seems to be no progress and when walking by the space, both ground level retails areas have "For Lease" signs on them.

Looks like they possibly backed out.  Many of the units in this complex are rented. I would love to see some progress to add a bit more life to that mini business district.

I wonder what the retail vacancy rate is for the mixed use projects that have opened recently? It's gotta be close to 90% vacancy. 7 Monks and that coffee shop in Fulton Place are a few I can think of. And the ground floor of the New Holland project. But there are a lot of openings elsewhere...

17 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

I wonder what the retail vacancy rate is for the mixed use projects that have opened recently? It's gotta be close to 90% vacancy. 7 Monks and that coffee shop in Fulton Place are a few I can think of. And the ground floor of the New Holland project. But there are a lot of openings elsewhere...

I can't speak into all of them but I'll tell you right now every Karl Chew building is sitting with an empty retail space and I can tell you they will probably be vacant forever. 

1 hour ago, GRDadof3 said:

Is this an issue with rent being too high? Not enough access to capital for new small businesses? Problem with parking? All of the above? 

31 minutes ago, discgrab21 said:

Is this an issue with rent being too high? Not enough access to capital for new small businesses? Problem with parking? All of the above? 

All of the above. And if you're a small retailer, you want to be in an area with other small retailers. A lot of these projects are far removed from each other, or far removed from a retail district. 

Also, most small retailers don't need access to capital, they usually take out a small personal loan, use their own cash, or borrow money from family to get started. 

It is an interesting problem. Look at 38 Commerce (which has been open for how many years?).  They have a deli, retail space that has been converted to offices and and empty corner spot that has an elevator with rooftop access (I still can't believe this space hasn't been turned into a restaurant/bar).

dont know if it's the rent, high cost of buildout, parking (38 has a ramp attached to it) or is it partly that retail is not the hottest market (downtown, or anywhere for that matter). It is strange that so many of these developments are completely empty on the ground level. 

I'm surprised we don't see more service-based businesses (banks, salons, mattress stores (haha)).

Joe

Archived