Nashville needs an observation tower

NissanvilleTitans

When I visit cities I'm not that familiar with, one thing I try to hit is an observation tower if it has one. Who goes to New York without going to the statue of liberty or Seattle without going to the space needle. I recently went to Toronto and you can guarantee I went to the cn tower. One of the most memorable parts of the trip really. I had a thought, what if you took that Strings tower, the one shaped like a guitar, and made it a observation tower at the head of the guitar could even be a restaurant like the cn tower. You could walk out into the tuning pegs for viewing. The strings could be elevators. Or even better yet every other string could be an elevator and the others could be free fall rides. And in the base of the guitar could be an indoor roller coaster. Because let's be honest Nashville needs a theme park as well and since it's music city what better theme could there be than in a guitar shaped building. Dolly parton really wants to bring a theme park to Nashville. Well here is one unlike any other in the world. A worldwide attraction idea and probably way cheaper than a traditional theme park. Anyone have any connections to Dolly? She needs to get on this ASAP.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From looking at some of the renderings of Turnberry's JW Mariott, there very well could be some kind of observation deck at the top. That's purely speculation on my part, and nothing was mentioned about one, but at least you would have the restaurant up there, right? While not 1000'+ up in the sky (don't need to be up that high here anyway's), and you would probably have to pay a premium for a steak dinner, it's still somewhere you could go to get one hell of a view of everything. 

We have a lot of nice hills where the skyline is view-able from different perspectives; Love Circle, Nevada heights, Rose Park, Ft. Negley, and on and on. The City needs to make skyline parks where you can get unobstructed views from small viewing platforms. It would serve the same purpose as an observation tower.

SkylineParks_zpse88a27e5.jpg

It bears mentioning that the Statue of Liberty, the Space Needle, the Gateway Arch (St. Louis), the Sunsphere (Knoxville), etc. were all built for specific events or as memorials to a specific event. I can't think of such a thing that was built simply to be an observation point and nothing more.

an observation deck atop the WES would have been an instant cash cow...

I saw the OP mention the space needle in Seattle. If anyone is ever there and want a better view for less $ and less crowds, go to Columbia Center's observation deck. same 360 degree views, but at 900+ feet compared to 520' of the space needle.

In 1975, we were to have the 750 foot Nashville Tower where Riverfront Park is now. That died due to lack of funding and lack of people downtown after 5 PM. I still wish I had the rendering. There would certainly be more to look at.

There was the L&C Tower observation deck closed after a woman jumped off in 1995. The Sheraton had 2: the Pinnacle/Polaris Restaurant on 27 (called 28, but there is no 13th floor in the building.), and the Sundeck on 26 which was closed after an employee jumped to her death about 10 years ago.

There have been 4 suicides in that building a.k.a the Suicide Sheraton:

1) In 1975 after the opening someone jumped off 25 spearing themselves on a lamp post in the lobby.

2) The employee who jumped off 26 onto Capitol Blvd.

3) The woman who jumped off the 8th floor of the parking garage on to 7th Avenue.

4) The homeless man who jumped off of ten and landed behind the Bellstand a year or so after I left there.

Sheraton IS the Suicide Hotel

Don't forget we have the little observation deck (Overlook) at Public Square Park Downtown

PS.Map_.jpg

This is the view from the Overlook

Public-Square-Park-in-Nashville.jpg

I had no idea that was there! thanks!

The question is, where is the best place to actually view our skyline from?  With so many new buildings going up...and at different angles...I'm not certain of the best viewing point.

We get so many photos from the pedestrian bridge...but that only gets from the Batman bldg and north.

Kevin I believe had some great pictures from somewhere south last year that were great.  no idea where from .

In 1975, we were to have the 750 foot Nashville Tower where Riverfront Park is now. That died due to lack of funding and lack of people downtown after 5 PM. I still wish I had the rendering. There would certainly be more to look at.

There was the L&C Tower observation deck closed after a woman jumped off in 1995. The Sheraton had 2: the Pinnacle/Polaris Restaurant on 27 (called 28, but there is no 13th floor in the building.), and the Sundeck on 26 which was closed after an employee jumped to her death about 10 years ago.

There have been 4 suicides in that building a.k.a the Suicide Sheraton:

1) In 1975 after the opening someone jumped off 25 spearing themselves on a lamp post in the lobby.

2) The employee who jumped off 26 onto Capitol Blvd.

3) The woman who jumped off the 8th floor of the parking garage on to 7th Avenue.

4) The homeless man who jumped off of ten and landed behind the Bellstand a year or so after I left there.

Sheraton IS the Suicide Hotel

I always walk along the room doors there and face the door about an inch away on the elevators, that hotel scares  the crap out of me.

• 2 months later...

I didn't see it posted here so i thought I would add my two cents. The Tennessee Tower (312 Rosa L. Parks Blvd.) has an observation deck on the top floor that has amazing 360 degree views. The only catch is that you have to either work for the state or know someone who can get you in in order to get to it. 

I didn't see it posted here so i thought I would add my two cents. The Tennessee Tower (312 Rosa L. Parks Blvd.) has an observation deck on the top floor that has amazing 360 degree views. The only catch is that you have to either work for the state or know someone who can get you in in order to get to it. 

Great first post and great photo! Welcome to the forum, Greg...

Archived