Maitland Developments

Pete C

City council approves Maitland City Centre development

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-maitland-city-center-vote-20141117-story.html#page=1

I am starting a new thread on this development because this is a major win for Maitland and the Orlando metro area. The blue hairs were out in full force to thwart this project, but we can finally kiss that hideous Winn Dixie goodbye and say hello to the beginning of a Downtown Maitland!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heaven forbid you get a 75' tall building!!!  It's a SKYSCRAPER!!

These people didn't serve themselves very well.  It was windy on the day they filmed, they shot from underneath, and they don't seem to understand the basic concepts of floating balloons for height.  Obviously, they were doing it on the cheap, but still, they could've made a better point with some common sense.

Ideally, you would run a balloon (or cluster like these from the grocery store) at each corner of the proposed building, do your talking from a vantage point where someone can actually grasp the point you are making (ACROSS THE STREET, down the road, etc) and show the relationship to the adjacent structures.

That said, it's 75' blue hairs, not 275'. 

City council approves Maitland City Centre development

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-maitland-city-center-vote-20141117-story.html#page=1

I am starting a new thread on this development because this is a major win for Maitland and the Orlando metro area. The blue hairs were out in full force to thwart this project, but we can finally kiss that hideous Winn Dixie goodbye and say hello to the beginning of a Downtown Maitland!

A couple of thoughts. First, it's sort of sad about the "hideous W-D" - that was the original Gooding's, which, along with the Maitland Art Center is the best thing to ever come out of the town. I do wish they'd put a historic marker there for it (I really like the plaques they've been putting on Chase Plaza lately indicating where old buildings used to be). The other is that I remember when Sentinel columnist Mike Thomas first moved up to Maitland, he was forever making fun of the "grumpy old men" at the city council meetings. Oddly, he became more and more like them as time went by. Maybe it's something in the water.

I think I mentioned this in a earlier thread...East End Market bares resemblance to the ever popular Grand Central Market in DTLA.  I'd love for East End to takeover an abandoned downtown building (although we really don't have many, perhaps where ACE Café is to locate and where they are having parking issues) and expand there.

Griping about the height of those buildings totally missed the real issue.

They should have been carping about the crappy, cheesy looking, generic, looks-like-everything-else architecture & design.

Just what we need... more tan & bland, Mediterranean Revival, stucco walled, clay tile-roofed garbage.

:yawn:

• 8 months later...

Looks like Downtown Maitland is only going to be 1 block long...

Maitland's downtown revitalization moves forward — but can it work?

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-maitland-festival-street-independence-lane-20150817-story.html

I think they'd be much better served to focus on the Packwood-facing side of the development - there's room for future re development to the south of Packwood, and infill to the west, melding into the Art Center campus, which already holds highly successful events utilizing the street and their buildings/outdoor spaces. There's plenty of surface parking or low-use lots that could be built up, it intersects the trail, and development/enhancements could be extended down to Lake Sybelia in the long-term. The Art Center campus is the best thing Maitland has going for it, and ignoring a nationally significant architectural and historic property just 2 blocks away in a placemaking effort is ridiculous. 

• 2 weeks later...

These old people are extremely selfish.  They don't want to deal with traffic at the expense of future generations.  They'd rather the town waste away since it would have no impact on their short future.  One councilwoman was concerned about permeability.  Does she even know what she's talking about?  Doubt it.  Unless she went out there with a drill rig and ran a permeability test and saw that the rate was 0.0001 ft/day.  Lol.  Chances are they can figure out a drainage design for the property.  I will agree on one concern...the bland architecture. However, I'll take that over the vacant lot and decrepit Traditions Plaza any day.  If this wasn't happening, the lot would stay the same for decades.

Also, would it be unfeasible to eventually move the sunrail station south of Horatio?  Maybe the site of the old railroad station from a century ago that is now gone.

If you haven't seen the hilarious video of the balloon float, you need to.  I hate linking the Slantinel, but here goes:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-maitland-city-center-vote-20141117-story.html

Coalitions of Maitland NIMBYs

ETA: As someone who has spent many years of his career having balloons floated for height references, I'm sure this amuses me a lot more than most people.

• 1 month later...

Heaven forbid you get a 75' tall building!!!  It's a SKYSCRAPER!!

These people didn't serve themselves very well.  It was windy on the day they filmed, they shot from underneath, and they don't seem to understand the basic concepts of floating balloons for height.  Obviously, they were doing it on the cheap, but still, they could've made a better point with some common sense.

Ideally, you would run a balloon (or cluster like these from the grocery store) at each corner of the proposed building, do your talking from a vantage point where someone can actually grasp the point you are making (ACROSS THE STREET, down the road, etc) and show the relationship to the adjacent structures.

That said, it's 75' blue hairs, not 275'. 

Actually, everything looks taller from directly underneath than from a distance. Had they moved farther away and shot from a different angle, it wouldn't have looked as monstrously tall and scary.

I'm guessing that was their goal... to make people  think "OMG, it's the Empire State Building!!!!!" when they see those balloons appearing to be waaayyyyy up in the air, when in actuality, they aren't that high.

They may have either done that on purpose or unwittingly, via their lack of photography skills, made their point even stronger.

Archived