Local Politics

I don't intend this to be a back & forth Republicans VS. democrats or any philosophical discussion nor debates.

I am watching the news and Without knowing the facts, I'm disgusted with Commissioners calling Cotham a snitch. 2 commissioners were on TV calling her a liar, etc. That, to me, I just don't want to hear in that manner. It's distasteful and I think it's a poor representation of the city of Charlotte & Mecklenburg county.

https://ui.ppjol.com/mobile_stop/1/charlotteobserver/u/cIDdqHs3vzYnCgTrn0jm18.html?zone=g8zJoCfzN-la14ouOH7Mdv&mobile=1&entry=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fsafe%3Doff%26client%3Dsafari%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D480%26bih%3D268%26tbm%3Dnws%26ei%3D7RhsVKTVGMqbNp6GgsAJ%26q%3Dcounty%2Bmecklenburg%2Bcotham%26oq%3Dcounty%2Bmecklenburg%2Bcotham%26gs_l%3Dmobile-gws-serp.3...11145.14582.0.14984.12.12.0.0.0.3.1122.6747.3-2j1j4j1j2.10.0....0...1c.1.58.mobile-gws-serp..9.3.2078.amsf4_cfnow&u=yW6k7JK6hFVWvMsuYhoidL&parentURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.charlotteobserver.com%2F2014%2F11%2F18%2F5324495%2Fmecklenburg-commissioner-george.html

If she is indeed a liar or whatever the case is, everyone should be civil. I would never act like this at work. There are certain standards of behavior people should follow In certain positions.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunlap is still bitter that Cotham cut off that incompetent Harry Jones from speaking when the Board fired him, it all stemmed from that situation and its aftermath. I don't want to be into political correctness, but Dunlap was rather biased towards Harry Jones. 

Politics- particularly local politics- attracts people with nothing better to do, and no better prospects in the private sector. (Anyone who can succeed in his or her job will generally do that instead of devoting tons of time to getting involved in local politics.)

Thus we have the political leaders who we have, particularly locally.  Too bad they can tax us and take away our property.

Harry Jones was a proven incompetent  idiot. Cotham is down to earth and doesn't fall wimp to the race card thing. I don't think that the city council problem is so much a party issue as a race issue. It certainly appears that white republicans (or even  white democrats in the case of Cotham)  are not welcomed there.  Best person for the job isn't the case these days.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The only thing bothering me about the Roberts campaign right now is that she is throwing up a bunch of fluff. Her issues are 'Good Schools' and 'Good Jobs'. The other one, 'Economic Opportunity for All Charlotte Families' is basically the same as 'Good Jobs'. What is her vision for the City? Where does she want to take us? She's a Morehead scholar, but a lifetime politician. What can we expect?  Look at her site vs. Peacock - it's pathetic that she isn't laying more out for us to see.

Meanwhile, Peacock's main issue is "to build a regional, multi-modal transportation plan that’s fiscally responsible and focuses on both traffic congestion relief and creating new economic development & housing opportunities in the process." He's a staunch critic of the streetcar, even though it makes a ton of sense (economically & developmentally) for the City. I think his policies drive a divide through the city (racially and/or economically) and I refuse to support him.

That said, I might abstain if JR doesn't show me some more meat & potatoes with her side salad.

The dems are actively trying to find someone to run against Rucho... I nominate Mesian Corners.

He isn't wholly responsible for gerrymandered districts. He had a lot of sorry co-conspirators.

But he is the chief architect of the attempted theft of CLT. For that alone, he should be in jail or at a minimum, the defendant in a 14th Amendment lawsuit filed by the City of Charlotte. His end game is to orchestrate the sale of CLT to private interests as soon as possible. You watch.

The rules of this board prevent me from saying what I really think of him. Loathsome is polite enough, I guess.

Archived