Lofts at Boush Street

VBIllini13

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what I was referring to. Is the city wanting the building to stay intact?

No, it was later determined the building would be demolished. The developer originally wanted to incorporate it into the new building but found out he couldn't. He then wanted to demolish it but the city didn't want to let him due to the buildings historic nature.

MGT now is moving extremely quickly on this project. In two weeks they have demoed the entire building on W Charlotte St and have demoed all but the facade of the building on Boush St (Next to School of Rock). I believe the city required that they keep the facade for the historical value. Looks like it will be built into the design of the new retail/apartments/garage. 

I will take photos soon. 

I have links below to the pictures I took. You can see they are really moving. I am guessing they are going to be coming out of the ground in a month or so. I am really looking forward to the new rooftop Italian spot. I think it will fit a missing market segment in DT Norfolk. 

Lofts @ Boush Demo Overview

Spared Facade

New Italian Rooftop Restaurant

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry to double post, but has construction started on this? I haven't been able to get down to Norfolk in the past few months.

Last I saw (couple weeks ago), they had completed the site work and construction of the first floor was in full swing-- the building has started rising from the ground! 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This thing is coming together veeeery slowly. I swear they've been working on that first floor for a year. Got worried construction had stopped but every time I drive by people are there so they're doing something. Wonder if they ran into anything historical.

1 hour ago, vdogg said:

This thing is coming together veeeery slowly. I swear they've been working on that first floor for a year. Got worried construction had stopped but every time I drive by people are there so they're doing something. Wonder if they ran into anything historical.

This statement ^^^ I have construction photos from a now to a year back. There was no point in posting them because it didn't look like anything had changed.  The metro on Granby didn't take this long and they are similar sized buildings. Not to start or contribute to conspiracy theory's but I figured it was taking so long so something could magically come up and there could be a problem with the site or construction. The same way granby tower construction took forever and never got to one floor before the federal land tie ups. (but who knows) 

I don't believe the Metro at Granby has a parking garage underneath it. Takes quite a bit of foundation work to turn a gravel parking lot into a structure that can support 4 stories of multifamily above 2 stories of parking.

Once they complete the parking deck foundation, the retail and multifamily will shoot up rather quickly. 

Overall they are behind, but not by much. 

They had to work with the city on demolition of those two buildings and then having to work that facade of the one on Boush into the design probably held them up a bit.  Still not sure the reasoning on preserving that building, they city has torn down much more significant architecture even in recent years.

I work right beside it and get to watch the progress daily. It has been somewhat slow in the beginning but for the past month, progress is being made. Work right on the corner (Bute & Boush) has been slow, but I can see them laying the final slab on grade sometime next week. Once that's done, it should go by pretty quick. 

Of note... I read recently that there will be no retail in the building, but instead replaced with more residential. 

22 hours ago, ORF flyer said:

Of note... I read recently that there will be no retail in the building, but instead replaced with more residential. 

I hope they keep the retail. If they want more units then they should add more floors not get rid of the retail. We need retail across downtown not just on and around granby street. 

Well, that is both good and bad news. Good that demand is higher than expected so they're adding more apartments, bad that this is no longer a mixed use project. This doesn't have to be significant retail, a few stores will suffice. I really wish they'd keep that element.

Archived