Lofts at Boush Street

VBIllini13

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, ORF flyer said:

Third floor parking now being prepared. Also noticed that the first floor has plumbing going in where I thought retail may be. My guess there will be no retail in the building. Was really hoping for something. 

IMG_20160217_161153502.jpg

Some businesses need plumbing now, don't they? Still holding out hope that there'll be first floor retail. There's gotta be a good demand for it, seeing how close it is to Granby. Could probably get some business from the Wells Fargo building tenants too.

2 hours ago, carolinaboy said:

Every building doesn't have to have commercial. It's OK to have a purely residential building. Granby Street is booming right now. Not necessary for every ground floor to have competing commercial spaces.

It's not the best option in a downtown area. First floor commercial space instantly activates the block and increases pedestrian traffic.  Otherwise, you're basically killing the flow of foot traffic.  Granby Street is a model for this as all of the buildings all have commercial space on the ground level.  The more they do this in other parts of the city, the more likely the downtown area is going to expand.  That's the major issue with the residential development in St. Paul's.  It's basically a huge block of ground level units which creates a wall in the middle of quadrant to be developed (if they were to build mixed use on either side of it). You almost always want mixed-use in any project.

It's a prime corner with a high traffic count.  Retail makes sense there and it can help connect to the Freemason district which has a scattering of retail along Bute Street.  The Wainwright should have retained retail as well.  Every single first floor unit in the Wainwright has floor to ceiling blinds installed that are pretty much always closed.  No one wants to have their entire apartment in view of someone walking on the sidewalk.

If I'm one of the 6,000 people living downtown, I don't wanna always go to Ghent for something, especially late at night. Outside of the umpteen 7-11s (not counting the one at Wells Fargo), the only other option is the Walgreen's on 21st, which isn't that close to downtown. Same goes for grocery stores. You have about double the number of residents you did when Farm Fresh was open, so a ground level store is a much more attractive option, esp. if you want to lure people downtown. Honestly, I think more retail outside of MacArthur would be a great draw.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, brikkman said:

nice

still wish they put a corner store or something there. Its going to look dead that portions of night.

I'm still hoping that may happen. I noticed in the 1st quarter Investment Report for 2016, it has the following info listed:

450 Boush Street Location: Downtown Use: 150 apartments with first floor retail  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived