Lofts at Boush Street

VBIllini13

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The first floor does resemble a commercial parcel, I believe it will be the residents fitness area, pool tables, community space, etc. 

There has been work going on Sundays for the last couple weeks. Either they are catching up from the rainy 2 weeks we had or they have some pressure to beat the schedule. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, NFKjeff said:

I have never seen that in actual news releases (I may have missed something though). As far as I know the "no retail" aspect was based on conjecture.

That would be a bad move, though the building looks like the first floor is designed for commercial....I wonder what they are planning on doing with the first floor?

That first floor has been one of the most vexing things on this forum as of late. I personally hope that it does have retail of some sort, but I'm not counting on it.

If you look at this application filed on March 25, 2015 (http://www.norfolk.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/1490?fileID=1838 ), there is a question "Use characteristics of the proposed development, including provision for ground-floor active uses and continuity along street fronts in various Downtown Districts and provision of residential uses in applicable downtown districts" which is answered: "Mixed-use development consisting of 156 units including ground floor lofts as well as leasing offices + parking on the ground floor. These varied uses will ensure activity at all times of the day."

Which I think is a kinda BS answer. A leasing office nor a parking garage is not going to keep the street front active at "All times of the day". I'm not certain if that application was approved, or if it was denied with the stipulation of retail.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This really adds a nice urban presence to that stretch of Boush Street. Has there been any word on what stores will occupy the retail space?

Also...any idea on how many people live downtown now? It was 5,600 a year or so ago; I'm guessing they've crossed 6,000 since then?

Archived