Nashville's last frontier...

NashvilleTaylor

Northwest Nashville!  Nobody ever talks about Northwest Nashville because it is so under the radar but I think with the city growing there could be potential for development there.  There actually are neighborhoods out the Ashland City hwy (I know because I used to live there).  The area has access both to Briley Parkway (easy ways to go north or west) and downtown Nashville (where it hooks up with the Clarksville hwy.  There is a lot of space out there too, perfect for a new office park or residential development.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG, don't get the Bells Bend folks upset again. That side of Davidson county might as well be in Cheatham County as far as mind set goes. It will be years before anything happens out there because it is not in the urban services district and is very rural as compared to the rest of the county. Not trying to be harsh, it just is what it is.

Northwest Nashville!  Nobody ever talks about Northwest Nashville because it is so under the radar but I think with the city growing there could be potential for development there.  There actually are neighborhoods out the Ashland City hwy (I know because I used to live there).  The area has access both to Briley Parkway (easy ways to go north or west) and downtown Nashville (where it hooks up with the Clarksville hwy.  There is a lot of space out there too, perfect for a new office park or residential development.

The very strong sentiment out there, and among many of us in the core, is to maintain that part of the county's rural and agricultural character.  This approach has been incorporated into the draft Nashville Next plan, and I think it is a very good thing.  There is more than enough space for infill and increased density already without sprawling into greenfields.

^ But wouldn't it be better for "sprawl" to stay in Davidson County than to continue going to Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson and Sumner? Imo for a city the size of Nashville it's not sprawl if it's inside Davidson (especially considering Davidson County is not that large in square area); being a wall away from your neighbor is not everyone's cup of tea, and some people (myself included, and I'm still young) prefer a signal family dwelling with a lawn.  Davidson County has the land; why not compete with the surrounding counties that offer that style of living much closer to work and play?

^ But wouldn't it be better for "sprawl" to stay in Davidson County than to continue going to Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson and Sumner? Imo for a city the size of Nashville it's not sprawl if it's inside Davidson (especially considering Davidson County is not that large in square area); being a wall away from your neighbor is not everyone's cup of tea, and some people (myself included, and I'm still young) prefer a signal family dwelling with a lawn.  Davidson County has the land; why not compete with the surrounding counties that offer that style of living much closer to work and play?

We already have tons of sprawl in Davidson County. We also still have a lot being built on the SE side of the county. 

IMO, I like the idea of the north and west side retaining their rural character. It's really gorgeous out there. Also, specifically with the northern side of the county, it is very, very rugged (steep, sharp ridges, unlike a lot of the SE side, which has more rolling hills). It's not ideal for large neighborhood development...I suppose you could see some larger hillside homes being developed (such as those you see in Forest Hills, Oak Hill, West Meade, and Brentwood), but currently the area lacks the prestige, so that's probably a ways off. I would rather it stay as-is. You might see some neighborhood development in the Joelton area, where it begins to flatten out on top of the Highland Rim.

We already have tons of sprawl in Davidson County. We also still have a lot being built on the SE side of the county. 

IMO, I like the idea of the north and west side retaining their rural character. It's really gorgeous out there. Also, specifically with the northern side of the county, it is very, very rugged (steep, sharp ridges, unlike a lot of the SE side, which has more rolling hills). It's not ideal for large neighborhood development...I suppose you could see some larger hillside homes being developed (such as those you see in Forest Hills, Oak Hill, West Meade, and Brentwood), but currently the area lacks the prestige, so that's probably a ways off. I would rather it stay as-is. You might see some neighborhood development in the Joelton area, where it begins to flatten out on top of the Highland Rim.

Would actually be nice if there was eventually a Warner Park-like park in the north part of Davidson County.  I know it would take a large benefactor to make that happen...but it would be nice to preserve some of the land for future generations.  If not, it will eventually be developed into something.

Other than some of the neighborhoods being built in the southeast of the county (I'm thinking you're talking about the new neighborhoods off Nolensville Rd.) I can't think of too many neighborhoods where the homes are newer than fifty years old 2,000’-3,500'sq brick on 1/2-3/4 acre lots inside Davidson County. I know there are a few such neighborhoods in the Hermitage area; west of the county along I-40 corridor I have no idea what's out there, because that area of Nashville I'm least familiar with. Obviously a lot of people like "cookie cutter" subdivision style living or Franklin, Brentwood, Murfreesboro, Lebanon, Mount Juliet, Gallatin and Hendersonville wouldn't be what they are today and even with urban renewal more people still opt for subdivision lifestyles in the suburbs.  I don’t think the I-24 west corridor is developable, but Haynes, Willow Trace, Bordeaux, Cockrill Bend (Prisons hurt development here), Bells Bend and parts of Whites Bend are.

Archived