Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gman430

CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Gateway Lofts.

32 posts in this topic

That design reminds me of project housing. It would be an enormous waste of valuable real estate to construct such a lousy, short-sighted plan.

The file submitted for review gives little information about the proposal itself, but includes numerous pages filled with photos of various unrelated places in downtown. Are the developers hoping the DRB will become distracted as they gawk at images of Falls Park and One City Plaza? Why didn't they include more photos of RiverPlace, especially considering it would be in the same neighborhood near the riverfront and SRT?

Edited by Skyliner
2 people like this

While some elements might not get approved by the DRB, I don't see this one dying due to the developer being in negotiation with the city over the past two years trying to find a compromise.

Edited by gman430

Was told the city told them to send it back to the design stage. They want any development to tie better into the river and into the Kroc Center. In other words, they didn't like it facing Academy. Also, the surface parking was an issue, as expected. 

I knew that would happen. This thing may not happen. Boom! That's as is anyway.

Edited by MAJIKMAN
1 person likes this

And the application for next month's meeting is still horrendous and has surface parking. Is this just the same submittal? I hope this goes the way of the Pinnacle.

The design still looks very boring, but I don't see how this is different from any of the other bland, boxy architecture that has been approved recently.  The layout of the surface parking looks horrible, and doesn't meet the city requirements for spacing and size of planting islands, but are we going to complain if the city doesn't enforce their guidelines here, when they've given other recent projects a pass?

The design still looks very boring, but I don't see how this is different from any of the other bland, boxy architecture that has been approved recently. The layout of the surface parking looks horrible, and doesn't meet the city requirements for spacing and size of planting islands, but are we going to complain if the city doesn't enforce their guidelines here, when they've given other recent projects a pass?

Which other projects?

My beef is w the surface parking and site design. I don't mind the actual look of the building.

I thought it said that a parking garage was to be included????

Which other projects?

My beef is w the surface parking and site design. I don't mind the actual look of the building.

The 6 story building @ Main & River St clearly in violation of the West End height restrictions.  The assisted living project on Augusta given a variance to have 100% of its parking facing the street, instead of being in the rear as required, just to name a couple of recently approved ones. 

The 6 story building @ Main & River St clearly in violation of the West End height restrictions. The assisted living project on Augusta given a variance to have 100% of its parking facing the street, instead of being in the rear as required, just to name a couple of recently approved ones.

You'll live. Oh and I love the Main at River Street proposal. :dontknow: Go figure. Personally, I wouldn't even have a problem with a 40+ story building in the West End but that's just me.

Edited by gman430
1 person likes this

I thought it said that a parking garage was to be included????

Thats what the public notice states :dontknow::

CA 14-360 CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS application by Arlington Properties to construct a 4 story apartment with 5 detached carriage units and parking garage( total of 215 units) located at Westfield and Academy Streets ( TMS# 0071000100500; 0071000100301; 0071000100300 and 0071000102700)

See page 29, side elevation E. I guess that is what they are considering a parking garage??? haha

See page 29, side elevation E. I guess that is what they are considering a parking garage??? haha

Might help with the link... ;)

Here is the link for it.  http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2015/FEBRUARY/DesignReviewBoard/02-05-2015/CA-14-360-WestfieldandAcademy.pdf They must have put the wrong plans up for review on the city's planning site. Because the one up for review for 2/5 specifically says 56 garage spaces/284 surface spaces. I'm gonna say that this has to be a mistake.

Edited by MAJIKMAN

I think the Parking Garage is the 'enclosed, single car' variety that you might find in a suburban apartment complex, not a parking garage like in South Ridge, etc.. You pay extra rent to get one that you have a key to.    

I think the Parking Garage is the 'enclosed, single car' variety that you might find in a suburban apartment complex, not a parking garage like in South Ridge, etc.. You pay extra rent to get one that you have a key to.    

That's what I was thinking. If that was/is the case. They didn't change a thing.

It won't be approved going by what Ive heard the DRB told them. 

Good!  Because it shouldn't be.

Well, this has been deferred yet again. It should go before the Board in March now. Hopefully they put a significantly improved proposal together.

Well, this has been deferred yet again. It should go before the Board in March now. Hopefully they put a significantly improved proposal together.

It shouldv'e been. They didn't change anything. But I'm like you. I hope they scrape this particular way of thinking. 'Cause a parking lot, as they invision, is not gonna work. 

Anyone notice the updated rendering from UBJ aticle? Doesn't look like surface parking lot, but maybe they just didn't render it in.

http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/DTGreenvilleLofts.jpg

The parking lot wasn't included.

The Board doesn't want the site's development to tie to Academy, but to the Kroc Center and the river instead. 

The Board doesn't want the site's development to tie to Academy, but to the Kroc Center and the river instead. 

I think it needs to integrate with both.