CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Gateway Lofts.

gman430

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That design reminds me of project housing. It would be an enormous waste of valuable real estate to construct such a lousy, short-sighted plan.

The file submitted for review gives little information about the proposal itself, but includes numerous pages filled with photos of various unrelated places in downtown. Are the developers hoping the DRB will become distracted as they gawk at images of Falls Park and One City Plaza? Why didn't they include more photos of RiverPlace, especially considering it would be in the same neighborhood near the riverfront and SRT?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The design still looks very boring, but I don't see how this is different from any of the other bland, boxy architecture that has been approved recently.  The layout of the surface parking looks horrible, and doesn't meet the city requirements for spacing and size of planting islands, but are we going to complain if the city doesn't enforce their guidelines here, when they've given other recent projects a pass?

The design still looks very boring, but I don't see how this is different from any of the other bland, boxy architecture that has been approved recently. The layout of the surface parking looks horrible, and doesn't meet the city requirements for spacing and size of planting islands, but are we going to complain if the city doesn't enforce their guidelines here, when they've given other recent projects a pass?

Which other projects?

My beef is w the surface parking and site design. I don't mind the actual look of the building.

Which other projects?

My beef is w the surface parking and site design. I don't mind the actual look of the building.

The 6 story building @ Main & River St clearly in violation of the West End height restrictions.  The assisted living project on Augusta given a variance to have 100% of its parking facing the street, instead of being in the rear as required, just to name a couple of recently approved ones. 

The 6 story building @ Main & River St clearly in violation of the West End height restrictions. The assisted living project on Augusta given a variance to have 100% of its parking facing the street, instead of being in the rear as required, just to name a couple of recently approved ones.

You'll live. Oh and I love the Main at River Street proposal. :dontknow: Go figure. Personally, I wouldn't even have a problem with a 40+ story building in the West End but that's just me.

I thought it said that a parking garage was to be included????

Thats what the public notice states :dontknow::

CA 14-360 CERTIFICATE OF APPROPRIATENESS application by Arlington Properties to construct a 4 story apartment with 5 detached carriage units and parking garage( total of 215 units) located at Westfield and Academy Streets ( TMS# 0071000100500; 0071000100301; 0071000100300 and 0071000102700)

Here is the link for it.  http://www.greenvillesc.gov/PlanningZoning/PlanningApplications/Applications/2015/FEBRUARY/DesignReviewBoard/02-05-2015/CA-14-360-WestfieldandAcademy.pdf They must have put the wrong plans up for review on the city's planning site. Because the one up for review for 2/5 specifically says 56 garage spaces/284 surface spaces. I'm gonna say that this has to be a mistake.

I think the Parking Garage is the 'enclosed, single car' variety that you might find in a suburban apartment complex, not a parking garage like in South Ridge, etc.. You pay extra rent to get one that you have a key to.    

That's what I was thinking. If that was/is the case. They didn't change a thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this has been deferred yet again. It should go before the Board in March now. Hopefully they put a significantly improved proposal together.

It shouldv'e been. They didn't change anything. But I'm like you. I hope they scrape this particular way of thinking. 'Cause a parking lot, as they invision, is not gonna work. 

Anyone notice the updated rendering from UBJ aticle? Doesn't look like surface parking lot, but maybe they just didn't render it in.

http://upstatebusinessjournal.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/DTGreenvilleLofts.jpg

The parking lot wasn't included.

Archived