Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

University Club approves 340-unit high-rise plan for downtown

university-4.png

Cliffs Notes:

- 26-story, 340-unit residential tower proposed for the University Club site at the SW corner of Rosalind Ave. & Central Blvd.

- 260-feet tall.

- The University Club will move into a condo taking up the entire first floor and the first floor of the 7-story parking garage.

- Developer is Texas-based Mill Creek Residential.

- Estimated to be completed in 2017.

- A representative of the University Club sounds optimistic about getting the city to approve a density greater than 340-units.

- No official renderings just yet.

• Like 1

If University Club is taking up the entire first floor of the building, does this indicate there will be no retail / restaurant outlets at the prominent intersection of Central / Rosalind?

This is my concern. I'm crossing my fingers that by "first floor" the writer means "the first floor above ground level" as in buildings outside of the US where the ground floor is referred to as 0. One can hope.

I am completely in line with the general premise presented by other forumers and would certainly want to see a project with ground floor retail space - especially at this location.  But that being said, I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out that it is truly not in the developer’s plans for this proposed project.  I say this from a strictly economic perspective.  Think of many of the larger-scale projects that have been built downtown over the past 7-10 years - Vue, 55 West, SkyHouse, Camden Apartments, 101 Eola, Sanctuary, etc.  All had their first floors largely dedicated to retail space.  And each either sits mostly empty or can't seem to generate or sustain thriving tenants, e.g. 55 West and Sanctuary.  So, given this, I could see a developer not wanting to dedicate much, or any, space to retail in a forthcoming project.  From their perspective, it may viewed as wasted space, which of course equals wasted dollars.  So, the question in my mind become why does the retail space that exists in these downtown projects struggle to attract tenants and subsequently thrive? 

A bit off topic, and obviously a recurring theme on these boards.  But something to consider given the possibility that this potentially major new development may forgo dedicated retail space altogether.

I gotta tell you that every time I see a new post in this thread I open it with hopes that some new information or discussion has been added about the project itself only to have my hopes dashed by a viability of retail downtown discussion.

It's all great dialog but it ain't a rendering of our newest jewel in the skyline that's for sure  :P

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thomas Chatmon: "There's already a 7-Eleven at that intersection - what else do you need?"

(As downtown enters its 7th year since the last significant retail was added and the Sentinel has acknowledged that we've actually lost retail since that time)

LOL!  Say it isn't so Tom...

I'm seeing some Miami Modern influences at play in the design, especially the pedestal.  Oddly enough, it seems to respond to the smallest building at the intersection, the little art deco building across the street with the 7-11. 

Edited by prahaboheme