Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

Not until yesterday did I go out to see the condition of Pine that you're all talking about... I realized traffic was shifted all the way into the former parking lane, which the city never really took care of like the rest of street surface. Also noticed that the asphalt section of Pine only runs from Magnolia to just before Lake Ave. I'm actually hoping the small section here behind Modera gets bricked instead of being repaved, and see the remaining sections go back to brick as new developments go up on Pine, or when the time comes to repave the street.

A good amount of the brick streets here are bad because they're outright not maintained or were possibly originally laid in a substandard method. While the north suffers potholes from extreme variations in temperature, I think the culprit here is the unstable soils that affect the entire region, in addition to the usual suspects of constant rain and the high water table. Just properly re-level the brick streets we have, and make use of concrete sub-layers and the potholes won't be as much of a problem for a good while. I would hate to see more brick streets getting paved over.

After the recession was over , the City had its own team that would repair and lay brick. I wonder if they are still there. The City was way behind in maintenance at that point and probably are still trying to catch up. 

Either way, our sandy soils are a main culprit. That and lack of investment. 

10 hours ago, gibby said:

Anyway, the demo is coming along.  The building is still standing though.  Hopefully, it'll be gone in the next two weeks.

The windows have been open and it looks like they're gutting the interior (i.e. throwing stuff out of windows) before they take down the building. Maybe they're salvaging the wood interior that @UngaBungalow mentioned, or at least doing a bit of recycling. 

• Like 1

It's not as tall as other buildings, and the tower doesn't extend quite to the Western edge of the property, but this should do a fair job filling the gap in the skyline above the VUE garage when coming down I-4. 
Is  +/-260 feet still the height of this? If so, it's just shorter than the taller office tower at the Plaza

gap tooth.JPG

• Like 3

On September 6, 2016 at 9:39 PM, prahaboheme said:

Climate had nothing to do with the point was making. It was a point regarding tolerance for road maintaince and a comparison to a city with significantly worse roads and how people in said city deal with it. 

As far as I'm concerned, your point about potholes on Pine is much ado about nothing, having lived somewhere in which the quality of roads is notoriously brutal. And if conceptually you cannot understand this because Boston is a northern city, then check out our friend to the west, Tampa. Their roads aren't winning any awards either.

Hardly apples to oranges.

It is apples to oranges to compare Orlando to a city that offers a lot of perks we couldn't even contemplate coming here in the next 20 years or that has mass transportation or In-N-Out Burger (that alone makes LA traffic worthwhile).  Now Tampa is an apt comparison if what you say is true. Had you started with that I probably would not have said anything. 

Just so everyone is aware it appears the City attempted to fill in some of the potholes in the last few days. Still witnessed a pedistrian get drenched when an asshat drove too quickly over one this weekend.

17 hours ago, jrs2 said:

... are they really building this tower?  It's just so surreal is all.

It'll be nice to see this lot developed finally -- no parking lots or broken street walls from Orange all the way to Summerlin. 

Central Ave is perhaps downtown Orlando's greatest transformation over the last 1.5 decades.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...