Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

3 hours ago, FLheat said:

All the University Club members will continue to have pale, white skin.  That pool deck will never get any tanning sunshine.

I figured the pool area was for the residents, but I guess the U Clubbers would have access too.

As far as sunlight is concerned, during the spring, summer and early fall with the sun being mostly overhead, they'll have pretty good sunlight in the morning hours until early to possibly mid afternoon. 

During late fall and winter with the sun low in the southern sky, they'll be lucky to get a little bit of sun on the northeast corner of the deck for maybe a few hours in the morning.

3 hours ago, castorvx said:

I would hope with it facing Rosalind it won't sit empty for years. 55 West's retail is mayyybe half-occupied after almost a decade. This will be seen by a whole lot more people, though. Rosalind is a busy road (more so for cars).

True, it isn't a friendly retail area. Pine in that area is dead and its sort of the bridge between downtown and Eola area. Getting a national tenant in there will be very important.

• Like 2

Seems like there would be pretty decent foot traffic there in such close proximity to the library and Eola Park.

Central, which is a pretty busy corridor, seems more (to me) like the real bridge between downtown and Eola. But thats jmo.

Guess we'll find out in a couple of years or so. 

Rosalind is an unbelievably boring street to walk down as it stands now.   This project will help and let's pull for Highwoods to build Capital Plaza 3 as they've done a nice job with their other buildings in terms of patios and "public" space.    It's unfortunate that there's no entrance to Embassy Suites on Rosalind.

The homeless congregating between Central and Washington is also a current deterrent to pedestrian activity.  I've purposely walked down Central and back through the park to avoid pan handlers near 7-11

40 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Rosalind is an unbelievably boring street to walk down as it stands now.   This project will help and let's pull for Highwoods to build Capital Plaza 3 as they've done a nice job with their other buildings in terms of patios and "public" space.    It's unfortunate that there's no entrance to Embassy Suites on Rosalind.

The homeless congregating between Central and Washington is also a current deterrent to pedestrian activity.  I've purposely walked down Central and back through the park to avoid pan handlers near 7-11

The homeless population at that 7-11 is horrible. There and across from Tier. They literally set up little camps and just chill there. 

Agreed. Central Ave is uncomfortable to walk down. Starting from Orange, there's homeless camped out under 1 S Orange, around the corner onto Central in front of Tier, the massive number in the History Center park, followed immediately by the Lymmo stop, and then in front of the Library, then again by the 7-11, then the fountain. Then it kinda clears up and spreads around the periphery of Eola.

If I walk over there I almost always take Church specifically to avoid an episode of The Walking Dead. It would bother me less if they weren't occasionally aggressive or didn't make my family feel uncomfortable.

I know Dyer and others are "committed to solving this problem", so I hope we see improvement soon. I believe there are about 200 homeless living in the downtown area. It's not a huge number but it would be no small amount of money to shelter and rehabilitate that many people. Especially given the broad spectrum of health issues they face. Mental health, substance abuse, general wellness ... it's a long road ahead for a lot of those people.

Does anyone know if there's a good way to get money to these people? Local organizations who are SPECIFICALLY looking at downtown Orlando? I want to help but I honestly don't know where to start. I can give money, can't really give time.

Edited by castorvx

3 hours ago, castorvx said:

Agreed. Central Ave is uncomfortable to walk down. Starting from Orange, there's homeless camped out under 1 S Orange, around the corner onto Central in front of Tier, the massive number in the History Center park, followed immediately by the Lymmo stop, and then in front of the Library, then again by the 7-11, then the fountain. Then it kinda clears up and spreads around the periphery of Eola.

If I walk over there I almost always take Church specifically to avoid an episode of The Walking Dead. It would bother me less if they weren't occasionally aggressive or didn't make my family feel uncomfortable.

I know Dyer and others are "committed to solving this problem", so I hope we see improvement soon. I believe there are about 200 homeless living in the downtown area. It's not a huge number but it would be no small amount of money to shelter and rehabilitate that many people. Especially given the broad spectrum of health issues they face. Mental health, substance abuse, general wellness ... it's a long road ahead for a lot of those people.

Does anyone know if there's a good way to get money to these people? Local organizations who are SPECIFICALLY looking at downtown Orlando? I want to help but I honestly don't know where to start. I can give money, can't really give time.

We're getting off topic, but...the approach the city and county are taking toward the chronically homeless (permanent supportive housing) is expensive, but has been shown to work in other communities.  It definitely helps the most vulnerable survive and live better lives, but I question whether it will every really change the panhandling/loitering issue.  Even if these folks have a roof over their head and are maybe getting better psychiatric/addiction care, they aren't just going to hang out in their apt all day.  They have social (and addictive, in many cases) needs, and this is life they have been living.  I applaud the approach Orlando and Orange County are taking but I think they are fooling themselves if they think it will reduce the visibility issue most people here complain about...