Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

On 11/7/2017 at 8:01 AM, JFW657 said:

I downloaded this several weeks ago but I don't think I ever got around to posting it.

Ground floor floorplan of MC. Thought it might be of some interest.

4024.png

Why keep it a ground floor club?  They built an entire building and didn't want to elevate the club a few floors?

Perhaps, but it would have been better to get some retail space on the first floor facing Central instead. Strictly speaking in terms of the first floor, it doesn't do a whole lot more for Central than what was there before - it's still a ground floor club with parking next to it, just this time around there's a tower on top of it. I'm curious as to what the street frontage would end up being along Central - worst case scenario is a largely inactivated first floor wall with just the club entrance. Pine and especially Rosalind see the biggest improvements on their street frontages.

16 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Why keep it a ground floor club?  They built an entire building and didn't want to elevate the club a few floors?

I think the area right above the club will be an open-air terrace for members or their events. But you're right, it's not very high up—especially compared to the Citrus Club. 

imageproxy.thumb.jpg.25d1cd749f52e925ab4acdcb2f213c56.jpg

15 hours ago, metal93 said:

...Strictly speaking in terms of the first floor, it doesn't do a whole lot more for Central than what was there before - it's still a ground floor club with parking next to it...

This is my main gripe with skyscrapers: Everyone focuses on height and overall look, without paying attention to what the street-level interaction will be. I'll take a Nora or a 420 over a high-rise with a parking podium any day. (But, to be fair, Modera does have more retail than a lot of high-rises.) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

University Club is taking up 2ish floors. They are both larger than just a floor so closer to 4 floors.

what does that mean?  "they are both"?  It's one club, right, and it's "2ish" floors?  what does the "they" and "closer to 4" mean?

1 hour ago, dcluley98 said:

The floors have higher ceiling height than regular is what he means. If each floor is double the height of a regular apartments size floor due to banquet space, etc, then both of them together would add up to about 4 regular floors total height. 

As illustrated below:

IMG_2942.thumb.JPG.10a1c8119bf2e3c23f019

• Like 2

As I was heading south on I-4 through downtown to go to an Orlando Magic game, I looked to the East to see if Modera Central was visible, and boy was it ever. It has a HUGE impact on the skyline when driving through downtown on I-4, and it's not even finished yet. Modera fills the big gap in the skyline between Central Blvd and Pine St. What a great addition to downtown this building is.

• Like 1

In the late '50's-early '60's, First Baptist, First Pres and First Methodist all set about building new sanctuaries to replace older buildings. It was dubbed "The Great Orlando Steeplechase," with a competition to build the tallest steeple. FUMCO was the eventual winner, though there was much grumbling that its steeple is attached to the adjoining chapel rather than the main worship facility.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

In the late '50's-early '60's, First Baptist, First Pres and First Methodist all set about building new sanctuaries to replace older buildings. It was dubbed "The Great Orlando Steeplechase," with a competition to build the tallest steeple. FUMCO was the eventual winner, though there was much grumbling that its steeple is attached to the adjoining chapel rather than the main worship facility.

Grumbling?  Really? I never heard that.  The very early plans for FUMCO were almost identical to First Pres. and First Baptist. When the church saw it they flew the architect down for a meeting and he sketched  out what was a radical design for the late 50's.  Heavily influenced by Georgian architecture but pulling from earlier Italian styles of liturgical spaces.  The interior is A-symmetrical and massive in height and space, yet is very proportional.  The building is actually trademarked by the architectural firm. 

7 hours ago, RedStar25 said:

Grumbling?  Really? I never heard that.  The very early plans for FUMCO were almost identical to First Pres. and First Baptist. When the church saw it they flew the architect down for a meeting and he sketched  out what was a radical design for the late 50's.  Heavily influenced by Georgian architecture but pulling from earlier Italian styles of liturgical spaces.  The interior is A-symmetrical and massive in height and space, yet is very proportional.  The building is actually trademarked by the architectural firm. 

The grumpsters were the Baptists and Prezzies who somehow thought the Wesleyans "cheated" by building the steeple separately. I, of course, don't agree and think FUMCO is one of the most unique church buildings I've seen, not to mention attractive.

Another plus for me is the integration of traditional architecture with the Italianate influences, as well as the subtropical landscaping between the sanctuary and the chapel. Rarely in Orlando have we seen a building that perfectly merges the historical nature of the church (one of the original congregations and still stocked with FFOs to this day) while perfectly capturing the fact this is Florida.

Most important for me is that we got such a splendid structure heading into the 1960's. Just a few years later, the monstrosity that is College Park Methodist was built, representing everything we loathe about modern architecture.

• Like 1