Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

2 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Not even sure how you gate the park off to everyone. Post Parkside has its own access gate into the park so how do you keep those residents out?

I would think that for those people, simply locking the gate at night and posting a sign on it with the hours of operation would suffice. Those people aren't likely to require physical barriers to keep them out, because the threat of arrest by OPD who patrols the area, would probably suffice.

I don't think the gate would be a gate like in Disney which nobody will be able to enter after park hours. It is mean to be a "soft" gate like "the park is close now, please come back tomorrow, there are no guards here during this time, please go to your shelters, let us clean and the birds need to rest."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

The hell?  How is this even a discussion?  When walking from Thornton to downtown or south eola to the north end of the CBD, you walk on the sidewalks through the lake.  Why would you want to gate that off?  Walking down Central or Robinson makes the walk seem 10x longer, no different than the imaginary barrier of the 408.  This is an awful idea.

Well, the park is currently closed from 12am to 6am.

How often do you cut through the park after midnight, which I think, was the point?

I don't know how effective a gate would be at keeping out someone who was determined to get in, but it might help convince most people who might otherwise go in after hours to stay out.

According to the park's website, the park hours are from 6am to midnight.

And I'm pretty sure the sidewalks inside the park are considered part of the park.

I don't want to make a big issue out of what is really just a technical point.

But I don't think it's unreasonable for the city to close the park overnight for reasons of maintenance and security.

Anyone may feel free to disagree with me though.

It's technically closed meaning there's no security or the fountain is off, other than that people stroll, jog around that time. And ppl cut across the all the time from parking to bars, condos to condos, etc.  Any gate or wall would be the worst of ideas. 

Anyways, back to Modera?

Edited by tennis32801

I kinda figured they either just weren't enforcing the hours or there aren't enough OPD on patrol to kick people out. Either way, it doesn't bother or affect me. 

I would love to see a short stone wall, though.

Modera? Nothing to talk about that I know of.

Should be pretty close to finished by summer.

Pretty sure that is just a law that is there for them to enforce if the police need/want to. Probably not an issue if you are just passing through after a late night out or maybe an early morning run. But if you are a homeless person trying to sleep overnight or are causing trouble, then they will choose to enforce the actual law and have the ability to trespass you. It's kinda one of those "on the books but only really enforced if necessary" deals. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sunshine said:

Build the wall!!! It is the new trend..lol

I kind of was okay with it when the idea was originally mentioned, but after reading the other stuff here in this thread, I now think it would be an absolutely terrible idea because it could lead to more enforcement or a physical barrier to the park closing at night. Way too much of a slippery slope. It definitely would effect how often I go out downtown at night if I couldn't walk through there, and enjoy it at night.

Edited by aent
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aent said:

I kind of was okay with it when the idea was originally mentioned, but after reading the other stuff here in this thread, I now think it would be an absolutely terrible idea because it could lead to more enforcement or a physical barrier to the park closing at night. Way too much of a slippery slope. It definitely would effect how often I go out downtown at night if I couldn't walk through there, and enjoy it at night.

If they aren't enforcing the closing time without a wall, why would they be more prone to with a wall? 

I feel that a nicely done short wall, (which could easily be jumped over, btw) would add a nice urban feel to the park. 

Kind of the same effect that the "street wall" of building facades everyone here advocates, but on a small scale. 

I think it would make the park look more "downtown" and less "suburban front lawn".

Again, JMHO.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2018 at 1:39 PM, JFW657 said:

I thought you were making a facetious reference to Trump's wall.

Is Trump paying for it?  LOL.

Ah, hec.  Gotta love it.  

They should pony up some $$$ and build what UF has bordering University; a short brick wall with cornerstones which looks awesome. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Pieson said:

Took this picture from the 7-11. The people who hangout there are mostly curtious and harmless but I wonder if that will have an effect on people looking to move in here at all. It’s part of downtown living, so this is more of just an open question. 

Building is is shaping up to be more attractive than I thought it was going to be 

GREAT shot, @Pieson!

The fact that the vertical elements connect from the base to the tower is HUGE in making this a relatively successful design. 

Amazing to think how easy it would have been for Solaire not to be hideous...

Edited by uncreativeusername
  • Like 2

On 2/13/2018 at 3:15 PM, Pieson said:

Took this picture from the 7-11. The people who hangout there are mostly curtious and harmless but I wonder if that will have an effect on people looking to move in here at all. It’s part of downtown living, so this is more of just an open question. 

Building is is shaping up to be more attractive than I thought it was going to be 

86A53B67-D1D6-408B-AAB1-063FE0B50CFB.jpeg

My least favorite project has turned out to looking pretty handsome.

The 7-11 homeless  shouldn't turn people away. Right on the Lymmo line and awesome vies of the Lake and other historic structures.. This will be more solid than I thought.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2018 at 12:23 PM, uncreativeusername said:

GREAT shot, @Pieson!

The fact that the vertical elements connect from the base to the tower is HUGE in making this a relatively successful design. 

Amazing to think how easy it would have been for Solaire not to be hideous...

It also looks like they are going with the better of the two renderings that were floating around. I was worried the base was going to have that overly stylized white & blue facade. Looks like they opted for the glass paneling over the garage area instead.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

My least favorite project has turned out to looking pretty handsome.

The 7-11 homeless  shouldn't turn people away. Right on the Lymmo line and awesome vies of the Lake and other historic structures.. This will be more solid than I thought.

Lymmo isn’t going to compensate if you have a problem with being around homeless 

• Like 1