Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I've been meaning to post (rant) about this for a few weeks now, but I didn't have any pics to go with it, so I held off until I could take some.

Has anyone else noticed how crappy looking the east facing ground floor that fronts Rosalind Ave is?

Take a good look at it next time you walk or drive past. Two things in particular stand out to me. One, that blank, solid concrete section of wall and two, the choice of finish material across the entire bottom floor.

First of all, I for one, was expecting glass store fronts across the entire length of the block between Central and Pine, not that plain, ugly whitewashed concrete with those two small "basement" style windows we ended up with.

IMG-20190106-133347.jpg

IMG-20190106-133436.jpg

And that metal service door... WTF???? Looks like the service entrance in back of a McDonald's, adjacent to the dumpsters. 

And around the corner on Central across from the library is no better. Take a good look at this mess...

IMG-20190106-134215.jpg

IMG-20190106-134152.jpg

Looks like the door to a public restroom on the side of a gas station or something.

Then there is the issue of the no-frills, bargain basement finish they used. The sprayed on masonry coating with white paint slapped over it just screams "cheap". 

Worse than that, it's already gotten all dirty and scuffed up.

IMG-20190106-133712.jpg

IMG-20190106-133651.jpg

Could the developer of this building really not afford to spend some extra money to clad the lower portions of the bottom floor walls with some decent looking marble or granite? If that was too rich for their blood, even some decent looking tile, decorative rough faced block or metallic finish exterior panels (similar to "the refrigerator" at Central and Garland) would've been far superior to what's there now.

I know that after Tradition Towers failed to materialize and it became clear that Modera was what we were getting instead, many of us rationalized that "Hey, this isn't so bad" and "At least we'll get some good infill and ground level retail" and "Besides, Tradition Towers was dated looking and had funny looking colors so this will actually be an improvement!!!"

Sorry, but this is crap. It's an embarrassment. Yes, from the second floor up, it's not a bad looking building at all, despite the minimal, almost non-existent impact on the skyline. But the east facing ground floor along Rosalind looks like the utility entrance of some non-descript, suburban industrial building that belongs somewhere off of OBT.

This is a major thoroughfare through downtown Orlando, not some suburban industrial park for crying out loud. It deserves better than this!!!

So I'm thinking now, what the heck, why not just go all the way and complete the "back alley" look?... :whistling:

modumpstera.png

I'm holding out hope that whoever the tenant is that ends up moving into the space at the corner of Pine St will cover those bare white surfaces with something more appropriate for the location.

As for that long, blank wall, who knows what will happen with that.

It makes it fit in better with the 7-Eleven across the street!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

It makes it fit in better with the 7-Eleven across the street!

Sad but true. And given the above discussion about the homeless, this will likely help attract more of them to hang out around there.

Hopefully the UC will recognize how the situation reflects on them and take steps to get something done about it.

This is a disgrace.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Love the shadow of Downtown Baptist’s steeple in the foreground. It gives a texture to downtown that “Downtown Orange County “ will never have. Great shots!

I was on foot and took advantage of the photo op...  I like that top photo b/c at first glance, out of towners might mistake the shot for parts of Miami...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

so I know Moderate not new but I like to use it as a point of reference for tight and it's book style building that we may see the Radisson Blu building and the color scheme as well is similar to what has already been proposed as the first rendering.

Also from the ground level the height looks similar to building with the movie theater The name escapes me at the moment but still lol

20190130_152639.jpg

20190130_152632_HDR.jpg

20190130_152148_HDR.jpg

20190130_152720.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The sad part is going to be when someone decides to level Downtown Baptist’s sanctuary because of their declining attendance...

The heck you say.

OK, so yes, when Jim Henry pulled up stakes in '83-'84 and moved to John Young, everyone under 50 went with him and everyone who stayed behind was 60+ and...wait, 60+35=...but Jim Henry is back at Downtown now even though he is 81 and...

OK, you may be right.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

7 hours ago, Camillo Sitte said:

The heck you say.

OK, so yes, when Jim Henry pulled up stakes in '83-'84 and moved to John Young, everyone under 50 went with him and everyone who stayed behind was 60+ and...wait, 60+35=...but Jim Henry is back at Downtown now even though he is 81 and...

OK, you may be right.

Actually, Jim Henry seems to have retired again and a Brother Higginbotham Is apparently leading the flock.

FUMCO and First Pres seem to have, after a long down cycle, recovered nicely with downtown’s resurgence. The Baptists, probably because the energetic heart of the congregation left for 33rd Street, still seems to struggle.

Edited by spenser1058