Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

I was looking through this developer's portfolio and it appears they have never developed anything over 8 stories tall. Are we really supposed to believe that they can pull off a 26 story high-rise? Seems like a pipe dream they are selling the U Club. 

Edited by GTR

I was looking through this developer's portfolio and it appears they have never developed anything over 8 stories tall. Are we really supposed to believe that they can pull off a 26 story high-rise? Seems like a pipe dream they are selling the U Club. 

Just because something is tall doesn't make it more difficult. It's just a matter of multiplying your numbers. 

Just because something is tall doesn't make it more difficult. It's just a matter of multiplying your numbers. 

That's an asinine assertion. Of course it does.  Can you honestly not see the difference between building a plywood 4-story building that only costs $10MM and a vertical high-rise costing $60MM plus? Even if it were only numbers, the obstacles to get a $60MM construction loan is something they likey have never faced before.  Maybe that's the Orlando thought process, which might be why we lack a single residential high-rise downtown any near on par with the best in Miami.

It looks like the City Centre developer is in the same boat of inexperience. Glad he has been named to help do the DPAC hotel as well.

Edited by GTR

That's an asinine assertion. Of course it does.  Can you honestly not see the difference between building a plywood 4-story building that only costs $10MM and a vertical high-rise costing $60MM plus? Even if it were only numbers, the obstacles to get a $60MM construction loan is something they likey have never faced before.  Maybe that's the Orlando thought process, which might be why we lack a single residential high-rise downtown any near on par with the best in Miami.

It looks like the City Centre developer is in the same boat of inexperience. Glad he has been named to help do the DPAC hotel as well.

I'm sorry, please tell me what high-rises you've worked on. I named and worked on one of our residential high-rises downtown. Do we need to continue, or shall we point out how "asinine" your comment is? 

Edited by RedStar25

I'm sorry, please tell me what high-rises you've worked on. I named and worked on one of our residential high-rises downtown. Do we need to continue, or shall we point out how "asinine" your comment is? 

Like I said, nothing in Orlando holds a candle to the upper echelon residential high-rises in our aspirational cities, so the fact you only cite working on something here proves my point as to your small town thinking. I'd love to know what sub-par project you were a part of.  Maybe a powerhouse internationally-known group affiliated with Ustler or Kuhn I presume?  Go outside of Orlando to see if anyone recognizes those names.

Edited by GTR

Like I said, nothing in Orlando holds a candle to the upper echelon residential high-rises in our aspirational cities, so the fact you only cite working on something here proves my point as to your small town thinking. I'd love to know what sub-par project you were a part of.  Maybe a powerhouse internationally-known group affiliated with Ustler or Kuhn I presume?  Go outside of Orlando to see if anyone recognizes those names.

Edited by RedStar25

I'll toss my hat in the ring. Collectively, it is more difficult to develop a high-rise vs midrise/low rise. Especially on the structural engineering side.But it is more about the consultants vs the developer. From a develop's perspective, the biggest challenge is costs and timing. It takes longer to build, which adds the the development costs.  

Generally, i would be wary of anyone proposing a highrise that has never built one but Mill Creek has tons of overall experience and their team has a long history before the company was started. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'll toss my hat in the ring. Collectively, it is more difficult to develop a high-rise vs midrise/low rise. Especially on the structural engineering side.But it is more about the consultants vs the developer. From a develop's perspective, the biggest challenge is costs and timing. It takes longer to build, which adds the the development costs.  

Generally, i would be wary of anyone proposing a highrise that has never built one but Mill Creek has tons of overall experience and their team has a long history before the company was started. 

I agree.  

It is a relatively new company made of individuals with a lot of experience with other organizations and they have already developed projects across the country.   That experience translates to access to capital which is more important than having actually built a highrise.  Their highrise project in Atlanta was approved October 2014, got their permits in May and broke ground within a couple of months.  It was a short turnaround from going before the DRC to groundbreaking.  They have now proposed another tower in Buckhead.  In other words, If the numbers work, this will get done.

They also started construction last year on this project in Miami http://i.imgur.com/5vCntED.jpg

The Atlanta tower is by the same architect so there are similarities.  http://www.skiarch.com/imgs/proyectos/769.jpg

I think this project is a win for Orlando and will be nicer than the renderings indicate. 

Edited by Martinman
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This has been resubmitted to the city with a reduction in units (396 to 350) and reduced from 26 stories of residential to 21 stories on top of the garage podium. Retail space doubled though from 7,000 to just under 14,000. It's going to look pretty stumpy now being this wide and with the reduction of 5 stories.