Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

14 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Indian place was called HEAT- which was classic down the street from the Amway

That's it... I recall it being not good.

3 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Ahh Heat. I believe it was owned by now in jail Nik Patel and, constantly being sued for screwing over business partners, Jeremy Clark. Orlando really attracts an interesting brand of hospitality types.

Patel scammed everyone he came in contact with. I believe he is serving 20 plus.

• 3 weeks later...

OBJ has again floated the possibility of a DGX (Dollar General urban format) in the Modera.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/08/12/see-these-12-eateries-and-a-shop-headed-to.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/08/12/see-these-12-eateries-and-a-shop-headed-to.html#g/458289/14

Apparently located at the corner of 2nd...? whatever.

This is what a DGX is

https://www.countryliving.com/shopping/news/a41560/dollar-general-new-store/

Edited by AmIReal
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

To be fair - from those pictures - I'd be okay with that. Was just in Chicago - and Orlando desperately needs more higher quality convenience stores (see not 7-11) downtown.  Our grab and go selection is lacking big time. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

Great news!!! :thumbsup:

35 minutes ago, bqknight said:

To be fair - from those pictures - I'd be okay with that. Was just in Chicago - and Orlando desperately needs more higher quality convenience stores (see not 7-11) downtown.  Our grab and go selection is lacking big time. 

I'd love it!!! :thumbsup:

Too many fu-fu, hipster appeal places around there as it is. 

I will say that Publix and 7 Eleven probably have most of what DGX would offer, though.

Oh, Thank Heaven? The Rosalind sevvie seems much more down at the heels than the TP one. I’ve been curious why that is. I’m also curious that the previous 7-Eleven across from OPL on Central (now the Stagger Inn) wasn’t that bad, either, and that was in the ‘80’s when the ratio of transient folks to workers/residents downtown was somewhat higher.

10 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

If it closes the 7-11 across the street that would be a large net gain for the neighborhood.

Still find the idea of a Dollar General opening in this building funny.

I think 7-Eleven's image problem could easily be improved by enforcing basic loitering laws which their employees either can't or won't implement. Playing classical music on exterior speakers should only be viewed as one remedy to the problem -- not the magic bullet. Neighboring businesses and even OPD need to start cracking down on homeless people camping out overnight, but it seems like everyone has become so desensitized to the problem that violations simply go ignored.

Modera is a self-anointed luxury apartment, but let's be real, they used styrofoam cladding (EIFS) on the exterior of the building lol. IMO, Modera is not on the same level as The Vue, Paramount, Solaire, Aspire, Sanctuary, etc., so having Dollar General as a tenant wouldn't be beneath them despite their marketing efforts to claim otherwise. That said, I'd still rather see Duckweed Grocer as a ground floor tenant and save DGX for the "broke college students" somewhere over in the Creative Village.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I think 7-Eleven's image problem could easily be improved by enforcing basic loitering laws which their employees either can't or won't implement. Playing classical music on exterior speakers should only be viewed as one remedy to the problem -- not the magic bullet. Neighboring businesses and even OPD need to start cracking down on homeless people camping out overnight, but it seems like everyone has become so desensitized to the problem that violations simply go ignored.

Modera is a self-anointed luxury apartment, but let's be real, they used styrofoam cladding (EIFS) on the exterior of the building lol. IMO, Modera is not on the same level as The Vue, Paramount, Solaire, Aspire, Sanctuary, etc., so having Dollar General as a tenant wouldn't be beneath them despite their marketing efforts to claim otherwise. That said, I'd still rather see Duckweed Grocer as a ground floor tenant and save DGX for the "broke college students" somewhere over in the Creative Village.

I don't think the building is that impressive or anything but their positioning with U-Club would be funny to me.

I am hearing Duckweed is still coming to Orlando, just not downtown. Close but not quite downtown.

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2019 at 8:32 AM, AmIReal said:

With what the article described to me, all I can think of is if Wawa and Five Below has a baby and we got DGX 

• Haha 1

From my vantage point, there's been an uptick of OPD presence downtown this month. Maybe related to opening of downtown UCF/Valencia campus. But I've seen more police on foot and on bike downtown than I've seen in quite some time, Just this morning they were moving a few homeless folks away from the Magnolia/Central 7-11. Oh, thank heaven, as the joke around here goes.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FLClarkKent said:

From my vantage point, there's been an uptick of OPD presence downtown this month. Maybe related to opening of downtown UCF/Valencia campus. But I've seen more police on foot and on bike downtown than I've seen in quite some time, Just this morning they were moving a few homeless folks away from the Magnolia/Central 7-11. Oh, thank heaven, as the joke around here goes.

Yes I have seen this too, and not just on bike but also in car. With 7000 potential students commuting, you can bet there will be lots of speeding tickets given on the 408 which has a speed limit of just 55

Edited by Jvest55