Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

If you’re commuting and don’t live nearby it’s still the most practical way.

If the referendum passes and we ever can expand Lynx, that might be a different story.

I know when I lived on the west side, went to UCF, worked part-time for the Mouse, interned downtown for a state senator and rowed for UCF on Lake Pickett, a car was the only option . (Needless to say, that was an interesting couple of years).

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

The increased presence is a part of the OPD UCFPD partnership announced a while back. Basically, they’re increasing the presence of on foot, horse, and bike officers in preparation for the students.  UCFPD will focus on the campus itself, while OPD will focus in the ‘hangout spots’ and surrounding area, but they do have overlapping jurisdictions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

CONFIRMED: Dollar General (NYSE: DG) plans to open its DGX concept at 50 S. Rosalind Ave. in the ground floor level of Modera Central, according to a building permit filed with the city of Orlando. The convenience store likely will occupy 5,100 square feet. The permit lists construction costs as $410,000, or roughly $80 per square foot. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/09/19/confirmed-fortune-500-retailer-to-open-in-downtown.html

Edited by Jvest55
  • Like 1

Kinda disappointing, but I'll keep an open mind until I can see it in person. I've never quite understood the Dollar General/DGX concept... found an article that explains it a bit more:

How will DGX be different from an ordinary convenience store? Dollar General says the stores will feature items not typically found in quick-trip stores, such as a variety of home, electronics and seasonal offerings.

Sounds like a mashup between Walgreens & 7-eleven, but cheaper? I'm still confused.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/retail/after-cautious-start-dollar-general-poised-to-invade-cities-with-its-dgx-concept-94558

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Kinda disappointing, but I'll keep an open mind until I can see it in person. I've never quite understood the Dollar General/DGX concept... found an article that explains it a bit more:

Sounds like a mashup between Walgreens & 7-eleven, but cheaper? I'm still confused.

Read more at: https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/retail/after-cautious-start-dollar-general-poised-to-invade-cities-with-its-dgx-concept-94558

Anyplace that large numbers of people can walk into, buy stuff and walk out of throughout the day and reasonably late into the evening is an improvement. 

On 8/17/2019 at 12:49 PM, W7edwin said:

I wouldn’t be far off to say that 3/4 of the people that go to the UCF main campus get there by car 

Maybe half, but many students live near campus and take advantage of the extensive free shuttle service, even if they have cars, as too not deal with parking. Also many students park at Rosen and take the shuttle from there if they live on the west side to avoid paying expensive 408 tolls. UCF has the stereotype as a commuter college which is definitely true, but lots of students live on or near campus as well and have a more traditional college experience.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

It’s insane to hate on any reasonable retail moving in.   The Facebook comments on Bungalowers post about DGX were cringeworthy.  Felt like I was reading UCF fans reacting to UCFs first loss in 2 years.   Except we as downtowners aren’t even that spoiled.   You’d think DGX replaced a Trader Joe’s and not an empty parking lot.

• Like 2

I’m good as long as we step up the pace a bit and don’t have to wait years until whatever comes next.

We didn’t have to wait a decade for Fowler Groves, Colonial Plaza or Winter Park Village to fill up. But then, DDB seems to have other things to think about besides, ummm, downtown development (remember, without retail, you’re sending those 15000 residents out of the core to fill basic needs).