Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

11 hours ago, Jernigan said:

It’s insane to hate on any reasonable retail moving in.   The Facebook comments on Bungalowers post about DGX were cringeworthy.  Felt like I was reading UCF fans reacting to UCFs first loss in 2 years.   Except we as downtowners aren’t even that spoiled.   You’d think DGX replaced a Trader Joe’s and not an empty parking lot.

I think there is merit in a lot of the comments made about DGX. IMO, downtowns should be the crown jewel of a city, but our downtown development & retail are a bit uninspired and underwhelming. SODO's transformation has amazed me much more than anything occurring within the CBD. At this rate, I fear I won't see a significant change within my lifetime lol... just not sure if it's worth Waiting for Godot anymore.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I think there is merit in a lot of the comments made about DGX. IMO, downtowns should be the crown jewel of a city, but our downtown development & retail are a bit uninspired and underwhelming. SODO's transformation has amazed me much more than anything occurring within the CBD. At this rate, I fear I won't see a significant change within my lifetime lol... just not sure if it's worth Waiting for Godot anymore.

Everything that I've seen about DGX is fine though. It's basically a grocery store. The stores look nice. It's a perceived name thing. Dollar General probably should have named it something completely different - because a lot of people will never get over the Dollar General thing. 

Also - I'm a bit confused on what everyone's perceptions of downtowns are. Ours is small - don't get me wrong but every downtown I go to has a bit of grittiness to it. There's always tons of 7-11's, CVS, Walgreens with sketchy characters around them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bqknight said:

Everything that I've seen about DGX is fine though. It's basically a grocery store. The stores look nice. It's a perceived name thing. Dollar General probably should have named it something completely different - because a lot of people will never get over the Dollar General thing. 

Also - I'm a bit confused on what everyone's perceptions of downtowns are. Ours is small - don't get me wrong but every downtown I go to has a bit of grittiness to it. There's always tons of 7-11's, CVS, Walgreens with sketchy characters around them. 

"That's just life in the big city" as they say.

If downtown was nothing but row after row of neat, clean, sparkling facades behind which upscale, over-priced yuppie wares were offered, it would be sterile, boring and lifeless. Seems to me, that a good urban streetscape should be a hodgepodge of scenery, the pretty juxtaposed against the gritty.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

DGX is basically a Walgreens so whatever. It brings nothing new or interesting to downtown so for me its a giant yawn. I would not want to be one of the places opening next to it though. I don't think the Modera retail is going to succeed in the first iteration.

TBH, I never expected the Dollar Tree in College Park to thrive but I got that one wrong.

It might have been more fun to get a Five Below than a DGX but you can’t always get what you want, at least according to Mick.

6 hours ago, bqknight said:

but every downtown I go to has a bit of grittiness to it. There's always tons of 7-11's, CVS, Walgreens with sketchy characters around them. 

Totally agree.  I remember being in Boston a decade ago and being grateful that there was a CVS on every corner.  I could pop in, get a Gatorade and then take out cash with no fee every time.   Doesn’t anyone else go to a big city and see something like Ross and say, “holy sh!t they have a Ross right downtown?!”   I mean I could care less when I drive by any other Ross in Orlando but when I see an urban one I’m blown away.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

TBH, I never expected the Dollar Tree in College Park to thrive but I got that one wrong.

It might have been more fun to get a Five Below than a DGX but you can’t always get what you want, at least according to Mick.

Five Below is even tackier than the Dollar Tree and their merchandise is crappier.

I saw somewhere that their merchandise is chiefly geared towards teenagers.

Although I did recently purchase a decent tablet case there for $5 bucks.

I'm happy with DGX. I'd even be happy with a regular old Dollar General there.

6 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

DGX is basically a Walgreens so whatever. It brings nothing new or interesting to downtown so for me its a giant yawn. I would not want to be one of the places opening next to it though. I don't think the Modera retail is going to succeed in the first iteration.

Just out of curiosity, what would you have considered new or interesting?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Five Below is even tackier than the Dollar Tree and their merchandise is crappier.

I saw somewhere that their merchandise is chiefly geared towards teenagers.

Although I did recently purchase a decent tablet case there for $5 bucks.

I'm happy with DGX. I'd even be happy with a regular old Dollar General there.

Just out of curiosity, what would you have considered new or interesting?

Something we don't have. I think the candle thing going into TP Central will do well and is a different kind of experiential retail we lack completely.  I guess we need a dog store now that Woof Gang left too now.

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Something we don't have. I think the candle thing going into TP Central will do well and is a different kind of experiential retail we lack completely.  I guess we need a dog store now that Woof Gang left too now.

There's a little dog store in 420 with about 25 items. I suppose if those are the 25 people need, it will work.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, smileguy said:

There's a little dog store in 420 with about 25 items. I suppose if those are the 25 people need, it will work.

They offer dog walking services (which many in the building use) - in addition to some grooming and boarding services as well. I believe that is their main source of customers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Ima open up a tumbleweed museum and emporium and charge admission to cross the bridge here soon. 

The last couple of times I've walked across the bridge its been a homeless congregation since the security guard has chased the homeless out of the Sunrail station.   A lot of female coworkers don't feel safe at the bridge because there's not a whole lot of places to escape without running into more homeless.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, codypet said:

The last couple of times I've walked across the bridge its been a homeless congregation since the security guard has chased the homeless out of the Sunrail station.   A lot of female coworkers don't feel safe at the bridge because there's not a whole lot of places to escape without running into more homeless.

Some of them were having sex on the bridge at 2:00 pm a couple of Tuesdays ago when I was walking by.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, codypet said:

43 minutes ago, gibby said:

Some of them were having sex on the bridge at 2:00 pm a couple of Tuesdays ago when I was walking by.

That's terrible. Please report it... snap a picture and send it to the news or something.  It's only a matter of time until things get out of hand and someone gets hurt. Are there any cameras on the path?? It probably wouldn't matter anyway... I recently spoke with a police officer and was told a lot of the IRIS cameras downtown do not work.

And I still don't think we have enough of a police presence downtown - especially during weekends.

Awww, c’mon - the High Line in NYC is infamous for folks in hotels and apts along the route doing the frisky in plain sight.

Let OPD monitor it to keep things from getting out of hand and embrace all the urban myths to come.

Violence will not be tolerated but beyond that let’s remember this ain’t Clermont.

Even back in Orlando’s uber-conservative days, Eola Park and South Eola were infamous for their late-night activities.

I watched many of them from my 5th floor window at the Plaza (aka Post Parkside) in the early ‘80’s.

47 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Awww, c’mon - the High Line in NYC is infamous for folks in hotels and apts along the route doing the frisky in plain sight.

Let OPD monitor it to keep things from getting out of hand and embrace all the urban myths to come.

Violence will not be tolerated but beyond that let’s remember this ain’t Clermont.

Even back in Orlando’s uber-conservative days, Eola Park and South Eola were infamous for their late-night activities.

I watched many of them from my 5th floor window at the Plaza (aka Post Parkside) in the early ‘80’s.

I remember telling the parents of my Winter Park socialite girlfriend that I was going to take their daughter for a stroll around Lake Eola shortly after I moved here (mid 80's). I had no idea what the area was like I just wanted a moonlight stroll around a lake. They informed me in no uncertain terms their daughter would not be accompanying me that evening...

Back on the Modera topic... has anyone seen a mock up on where the entrances for DGX and the French restaurant will be laid out? Are the entrances via Pine and Rosalind- is it a shared entrance into a lobby and then enter the separate businesses?

I obviously haven't  wandered into Modera so I'm not sure of the interior layout. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • sunshine changed the title to Modera Central | 23-Story Residential