Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

Honestly, I never liked that Tradition Towers design.  Yes, it was tall, but the architecture just looks really weird to me with a hodgepodge of design styles and the weird two towers with bridge in the middle.  I don't think Modera will look bad as of the latest rendering. It is kinda short and stubby now, but will work well with the large buildings behind it to give a stepped effect from the lake.

Tradition Towers was a bit of a Post-Po Mo disaster. I always feared it would age poorly and become an eyesore. Looking at that rendering now, it certainly seems plausible. The tower base was well intentioned but it only got worse as the building went higher.

It came out of the Robert Stern era of pre-war style Central Park towers but never lived up to his Central Park West tower, possibly the hottest NY real estate in decades on the west side.

Modera, for all its imperfections, at least respects an existing architectural style relevant to central Florida.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

I didn't move here until after the boom, but I love the Tradition design.  Reminds me a bit of Atlantis in the Bahamas. Maybe it wouldn't have aged well, but I generally have a soft spot for things like that.  I'm a huge fan of Brutalism as well even though its... not great.

1 hour ago, AndyPok1 said:

I didn't move here until after the boom, but I love the Tradition design.  Reminds me a bit of Atlantis in the Bahamas. Maybe it wouldn't have aged well, but I generally have a soft spot for things like that.  I'm a huge fan of Brutalism as well even though its... not great.

Also a fan of brutalism - our central library is a great period example and its architect an apprentice to the father of brutalism. Brutalism doesn't always work, especially in colder climates where it can appears downright hostile (although there are plenty of exceptions) but In a warmer climate such as Orlando it is softened by the lighting and vegetation.

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

Sure does. 

Dig deeper, GTR.

Care to elaborate because I can't think of a single thing it resembles. Considering it is a clone of their Atlanta project if it did resemble anything it would be purely coincidental. 

Edited by GTR

6 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Tradition Towers was a bit of a Post-Po Mo disaster. I always feared it would age poorly and become an eyesore. Looking at that rendering now, it certainly seems plausible. The tower base was well intentioned but it only got worse as the building went higher.

It came out of the Robert Stern era of pre-war style Central Park towers but never lived up to his Central Park West tower, possibly the hottest NY real estate in decades on the west side.

Modera, for all its imperfections, at least respects an existing architectural style relevant to central Florida.

Tradition Towers seemed to borrow some design language from the old Angebilt hotel, don't you think? While I didn't necessarily care for TT's architecture, I think it would have challenged newer developments to step up their game aesthetically.

Angebilt.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Tradition Towers seemed to borrow some design language from the old Angebilt hotel, don't you think? While I didn't necessarily care for TT's architecture, I think it would have challenged newer developments to step up their game aesthetically.

Personally, I saw a ton of contextualism in Tradition Towers...Angebilt, definitely...some Neoclassicism in the base reminiscent of the Courthouse and City Commons...and obvious references to SunTrust.  I actually think it complemented SunTrust rather beautifully, between the color scheme references, and the massing - TT's cutout mirrored ST's middle glass column in a pretty cool way.

Edited by uncreativeusername
  • Like 2

I was also surprised to see that it seems to be moving forward quickly. Pine street was encroached on quite a bit by the fencing and k-rails. Very narrow through that stretch. 

Cheers to another project going vertical, though, whatever your opinion on its appearance or the use of the land. This is good news.

Fingers crossed for Tremont.

^^

I stand corrected about this project.  I saw that construction wall today as well.  I don't believe it.

^^

regarding TT, if you saw the model at Embassy Suites back then, the coloring of the project was very Suntrust and less classic.  It gave me mixed feelings back then.  Aqua and beige...  Not that Modera is better...

On August 21, 2016 at 8:38 PM, JFW657 said:

It looks sort of "Miami-ish".

Without the height.

Maybe third-tier Miami new construction. But Miami is not in central Florida and I recall significant pushback on here at one time for proposed projects that tried to bring the Miami look to Orlando.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing those were the colors they originally intended to use, but because the software they employed to do the initial renderings didn't have the photo-realistic capabilities that the new renderings were done with, they simply used a lighter stand-in color that kind of loosely represented it.

It still looks like pretty much the same building, just with clearer and more accurate / realistic detail.

Certainly is more attractive looking now though.

• Like 1