Modera Central | 23-Story Residential

bic

Too funny!!!!

T-ville has always been the butt of jokes over in Brevard County.

I had a Cuban Business Law prof back around 1980, during my first two years of college over at BCC (EFS now) Cocoa campus, who was an attorney in T-ville and he was constantly making fun of the place.

He would often say facetiously, in his thick Cuban accent... "TIE - toess - veele... vere de act - chung ees!!!!"

Melbourne isn't a whole lot better.

For all the potential, the Space coast beach communities (with some exceptions like New Smyrna) have remained pretty sparse and non-urban.

i would have thought that at least one beach community in Central Florida would eventually capitalize on its proximity to Orlando and tourism, and become a destination beach the likes of Clearwater, or south Florida beaches. I'm sure there are a host of reasons why this has not happened -- someone with more knowledge of Brevard, feel free to share!

• Like 1

Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral are somewhat urban, but probably also about as urban as the residents want it to get.

I think the idea of condo after condo after condo, shoulder to shoulder and cheek to jowl along their coastline is not something most residents want.

Or big shopping centers and the traffic they create either.

Let Merritt Island have all that. 

I think they'd prefer it to remain a somewhat sleepy little beach town.

And then of course there's Daytona. I don't think you can really describe that place as sparse and non-urban.

To be fair, that video is outdated. Miracle City Mall was torn down last year for an open concept shopping plaza. And that Paul Steakhouse is now Shiloh restaurant, which is always packed (I tried it and not sure why). They even have their first vietnamese restaurant. The area around Super Walmart had more developments, with Super Target, Lowes, etcs. And its the home of Daniel Tosh! I heard Titusville was bustling during the height of NASA, until the end of the shuttle program. I graduated from THS and rather live there then Cocoa, mostly because it feels like an extension of Orlando.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

The demand for Americans who specialize in Cuban Business Law was my first question when I read that post.  A country that we spent almost an entire generation doing no business with??? HUH???

Then I laughed when I realized he was just Cuban.

Thanks.

Heh heh!!

Didn't even notice that.

Proper wording is every bit as important as comma placement...

enhanced_buzz_17772_1389904178_22.jpg

• Like 1

Modera and Citi Tower fit well along the Church St corridor that currently stretches from 55W to the Sanctuary.  And there is plenty of room for more.  But the North Quarter has its own scale which is also nice.  It will merge well with Yard 1 & 2.  I'd like to see the big stuff jump I-4 into the Magic complex, but I'd also like the mid rise North Quarter jump over to Magnolia and merge into the Ivanhoe Village.  Each area has it own unique character.  Choices.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cwetteland said:

Modera and Citi Tower fit well along the Church St corridor that currently stretches from 55W to the Sanctuary.  And there is plenty of room for more.  But the North Quarter has its own scale which is also nice.  It will merge well with Yard 1 & 2.  I'd like to see the big stuff jump I-4 into the Magic complex, but I'd also like the mid rise North Quarter jump over to Magnolia and merge into the Ivanhoe Village.  Each area has it own unique character.  Choices.

I seem to remember some talk about developing the OUC land between Magnolia and Highland, just south of the Urban Trail. This was a number of years ago, and I don't recall if there were any details associated with it (other than maybe some public parking that could be used by Ivanhoe businesses.) I think something the size and scale of The Yard would be a great link.

I also have fantasies of the old OUC generation/water plant right there being converted into condos. I used to have an office there, and know how difficult that would be to do. It's literally a powerplant with very segmented spaces, uneven floors, big internal concrete structures, not to mention the water and pollution problems.

12 hours ago, smileguy said:

I seem to remember some talk about developing the OUC land between Magnolia and Highland, just south of the Urban Trail. This was a number of years ago, and I don't recall if there were any details associated with it (other than maybe some public parking that could be used by Ivanhoe businesses.) I think something the size and scale of The Yard would be a great link.

I also have fantasies of the old OUC generation/water plant right there being converted into condos. I used to have an office there, and know how difficult that would be to do. It's literally a powerplant with very segmented spaces, uneven floors, big internal concrete structures, not to mention the water and pollution problems.

There has been heavy equipment and pipes on that patch of land for the last few months, I can't tell when I run by if they are installing storm water stuff or if it's another patch of land being used by I4 Ultimate for storage.

I've also fantasized about condos in the OUC plant - it's exactly the kind of building that would be turned into sweet high-end lofts in NYC.  I know the interior structural issues make it very unlikely, and the train running right behind it doesn't help.  It could also be converted to a museum, but there's not enough parking.  Maybe a small garage on that land behind it and a pedestrian bridge over the tracks entering the museum...Oh well

30 minutes ago, Universe_Explorer said:

There has been heavy equipment and pipes on that patch of land for the last few months, I can't tell when I run by if they are installing storm water stuff or if it's another patch of land being used by I4 Ultimate for storage.

I believe it's for the work they are doing on Marks st near Orange and Magnolia.  It is part of the drainage for the overall I-4 project.  They also had a lot of equipment there recently to redo the railroad crossing on Highland Ave.  I think all of that is gone now though.

• 3 weeks later...

It'll be fun to watch this one transform the Central and Rosalind corner.  The UC and its parking lot have long brokedown the pedestrian experience between the CBD and Lake Eola. A unified street wall here is going to correct this issue in a big way.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1

Totally agree with you prahaboheme!  While I don't really care for the design all that much, especially after it got stubbier and blockier, it is going to be WAY better than what was there before.  I think it will really help to tie the park and South Eola into old CBD and Orange Ave.  Really bridges the gap there. Now if we could just get something on that empty lot on Washington across from the lake. . . I seem to recall seeing a hotel proposal for that.